7th grader called racist for wearing Palin t-shirt

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
For all the "racist" screeching aimed at the Republicans (which was predicted 2 years ago... race card gets played every chance it gets), there is as much bigotry on the left... and aimed at kids:

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/my...Y&pageId=3.14.1&sflg=1

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35, Orlando) -- She's only 12 years old but Ashleigh Jones is feeling the heat of this election year.

That?s because the seventh grader at New Smyrna Beach Middle School was called a racist by classmates for wearing a pro-Sarah Palin t-shirt.

Jones is volunteering at the Republican Headquarters in New Smyrna Beach. The Palin t-shirt was a gift from her fellow volunteers.

But when she wore it to school she learned just how tough politics can be.

?Some of the students were calling me racist because I was Caucasian,? she said. ?I wanted the Caucasian man to win. And I told them that?s not true. It?s my freedom of speech, it?s my opinion.?

Jones' parents say they aren't mad at the school they just want everyone including their daughter to voice their opinion constructively.

Officials with Volusia County Schools said there were no referrals or complaints to the office about this incident.

Ashleigh said that more of her friends are expressing their views by wearing political t-shirts and she plans to wear hers again.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Cool, parents using their child for political motives. I guess it's not just the Democrats.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
You expect stupidity out of 12 year olds.

Problem is, they are imitating their parents.

/commence stupidity

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Cool, parents using their child for political motives. I guess it's not just the Democrats.

You suprise me with that one Red.

Its nice to see you admit the D's do it. And I certainly wont deny that the R's do.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
When was the last time you heard of a Republican group protesting a business for supporting a candidate? Well, the Democrats seem to be able to do it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...R2008101101465_pf.html

The sign went up Sunday evening, bold black letters against the stark white background of the marquee at the Colony South Hotel & Conference Center in Clinton: "Country First. McCain/Palin."

By daybreak, pandemonium had broken loose all across heavily Democratic Prince George's County. Many local supporters of Democrat Barack Obama, jolted by the message as they headed down Branch Avenue on their Monday morning commutes, grabbed cellphones and BlackBerrys to notify friends. Operators of neighborhood e-mail group lists cried foul to their memberships. The NAACP logged calls. Community leaders demanded boycotts of the hotel, a common venue for Democratic events.

"Businesspeople have to be mindful of the sentiments and sensibilities of their market trading area, and Prince George's County is overwhelmingly for Obama," said community activist Arthur Turner of Kettering, who was among those advocating a boycott. "People I have talked to look at the sign as a slap in the face. They feel it was blatant disrespect. . . . I have heard people say they will no longer patronize Colony South because of that disrespect."

Are you kidding? Disrespect? Get the fuck over yourselves.

The outcry over the hotel marquee tapped into the passion -- and sometimes anger -- that has characterized this fall's presidential campaign. Supporters of Republican candidate John McCain have vented their rage at rallies this week, applauding thunderously as McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, accused Obama of "palling around with terrorists."

Prince George's, though, is clearly Obama Country. As the nation's wealthiest mostly black community, where about 77 percent of registered voters are Democrats, residents have Obama placards in their yards, bumper stickers on their cars and the candidate's visage on their T-shirts.

The marquee supporting the GOP ticket in "an area that is strongly African American was like putting a stink bomb in the middle of the living room," said University of Maryland political Professor Ron Walters. "What it does show is the emotions that are around this campaign and this election."

Or in other words, because the hotel supports the WHITE candidate and not the BLACK candidate, then they should be burnt to the ground.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Cool, parents using their child for political motives. I guess it's not just the Republicans or the Democrats.

Fixed that for ya. I am an equal opportunity under-the-busser :) :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: 351Cleveland
When was the last time you heard of a Republican group protesting a business for supporting a candidate? Well, the Democrats seem to be able to do it:

The sign went up Sunday evening, bold black letters against the stark white background of the marquee at the Colony South Hotel & Conference Center in Clinton: "Country First. McCain/Palin."

By daybreak, pandemonium had broken loose all across heavily Democratic Prince George's County. Many local supporters of Democrat Barack Obama, jolted by the message as they headed down Branch Avenue on their Monday morning commutes, grabbed cellphones and BlackBerrys to notify friends. Operators of neighborhood e-mail group lists cried foul to their memberships. The NAACP logged calls. Community leaders demanded boycotts of the hotel, a common venue for Democratic events.

"Businesspeople have to be mindful of the sentiments and sensibilities of their market trading area, and Prince George's County is overwhelmingly for Obama," said community activist Arthur Turner of Kettering, who was among those advocating a boycott. "People I have talked to look at the sign as a slap in the face. They feel it was blatant disrespect. . . . I have heard people say they will no longer patronize Colony South because of that disrespect."

The outcry over the hotel marquee tapped into the passion -- and sometimes anger -- that has characterized this fall's presidential campaign. Supporters of Republican candidate John McCain have vented their rage at rallies this week, applauding thunderously as McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, accused Obama of "palling around with terrorists."

Prince George's, though, is clearly Obama Country. As the nation's wealthiest mostly black community, where about 77 percent of registered voters are Democrats, residents have Obama placards in their yards, bumper stickers on their cars and the candidate's visage on their T-shirts.

The marquee supporting the GOP ticket in "an area that is strongly African American was like putting a stink bomb in the middle of the living room," said University of Maryland political Professor Ron Walters. "What it does show is the emotions that are around this campaign and this election."

Or in other words, because the hotel supports the WHITE candidate and not the BLACK candidate, then they should be burnt to the ground.
Did you not see that thread about the guy who owned a parking lot that posted no Obama supporter will be allowed to park?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I watched McCain's campaign manager Rick Davis on tv yesterday and for the first time I smiled through the entire interview. Didn't get upset, just sat there and watched him trying to say things that were utterly ridiculous like "America agrees with everything John McCain said at the debate on every issue."

It's as if the band on the Titanic didn't keep playing because they knew they were going to die, but because they thought the sound of the hull cracking was applause.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Yeah, that's beyond lame.

And wearing a Palin shirt isn't racist. It's insanely stupid, but not racist.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001

Did you not see that thread about the guy who owned a parking lot that posted no Obama supporter will be allowed to park?

As was his right... however stupid the decision was for business. In fact, MORE stupid than this move I would think as he was denying people (well not really, he didnt act on it) vs. expressing an opinion. As a business person, I would NEVER take a political position as a business. You are going to piss off 50% of the people either way you go. That isnt the point. People feel "disrespected?" Please. I dont feel disrespected that someone supports Obama. Why should anyone feel disrespected that someone supports McCain?

No... I submit that the "black community" largely feels it is "their turn," and if you dont support Obama, for whatever reason, you are racist and disrespectful... as if you should ONLY vote for him because he is black.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
I watched McCain's campaign manager Rick Davis on tv yesterday and for the first time I smiled through the entire interview. Didn't get upset, just sat there and watched him trying to say things that were utterly ridiculous like "America agrees with everything John McCain said at the debate on every issue."

It's as if the band on the Titanic didn't keep playing because they knew they were going to die, but because they thought the sound of the hull cracking was applause.

I love your analogy. That's great. :)

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Red, I have respect for you as a poster, but I can't help but wonder if you'd feel the same way if a kid had been harrassed for an Obama Biden shirt.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

Feeling disrespected seems understandable. "Country first" makes a certain negative implication about Senator Obama, and by proxy, his supporters.

Way to work up outrage over one guy's analysis of the situation.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Dont know if you remember, there was also quite a stir over Leatherman Tools Pres supporting Kerry.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
For all the "racist" screeching aimed at the Republicans (which was predicted 2 years ago... race card gets played every chance it gets)

Predicted and then played out very nicely I might add.
I guess you are blaming the Dems for the Republican's self-fulfilling prophecy now? K.

there is as much bigotry on the left... and aimed at kids:

Are you actually comparing the hate filled venom we have been hearing from Palin rallies coming out of the mouths of grown men and women to one 12 year old calling another 12 year old racist for wearing a Palin t-shirt in middle school? Yeah, I guess you are. :roll:

Pfttttttttttttttt.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I wouldn't patronize any business that took such an overt political stance. Why would I trust stupid people or favor them with my money? I have seen several local ads that claim to be a Christian business which I would never patronize either. I interpret that as a "trust us without reservation, Christian always means good) declaration.

The kids in school are being the typical nitwits that they often are at that age.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
You are comparing her 12 year old classmates to grown adults at republican rallies?

OK!

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Parents who push their political affiliation on children not old enough to understand are morons. This applies to all affiliations.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
If McCain/Palin don't want themselves associated with racism, maybe they shouldn't allow it at their rallies.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
If McCain/Palin don't want themselves associated with racism, maybe they shouldn't allow it at their rallies.

That goes back to guilt by association and you can't paint all of the McCain/Palin supporters with a broad brush like that.

Feb 6, 2007
Later the children were heard to call an overweight student "fatty fatty dorkface" before running across the street to play with a dog.

They're twelve. What the hell do you expect? There's a reason we don't let children vote.

As far as not patronizing a business or staging a boycott because of the business owner's views, well, that happens all the time. My ex-girlfriend's mother sold advertising space for a queer newspaper in the Portland metro area. A local business refused to buy advertising space (which is not uncommon) because they didn't support the gay lifestyle (which is a specific political position to take on the matter). I haven't been back to that business since. They took a political stance which disagreed with mine and found that they had alienated customers. Pity, they served really good tiramisu...

The point is, if a business is willing to advance a specific political agenda, they need to be prepared to lose the patronage of anyone who disagrees with that agenda. If I found out a business was supporting John McCain, it would make me significantly more likely to take my business elsewhere. That has nothing to do with race, or any feelings that the black man's time has come; I believe John McCain's policies are dangerous for America, and I wouldn't want to support anyone who believed that he was a better choice for the country than really anyone else.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I'm sorry, is this the first 12 year old who has been called racist in a public school? This is news?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Yup. Pathetic.

If only these children knew what their parents were doing to them financially, they'd probably all be wearing Ron Paul t-shirts. :D