7950 past 1.3V

mariokiller64

Oct 27, 2012
Can it be done? MSI Afterburner shows I can't go higher than 1.3V; and at a core clock of 1250MHz, it shows artificats. Benching right now at 58C with a water cooling setup. Wish I could increase the voltage more than 1.3 :twisted:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Can it be done? MSI Afterburner shows I can't go higher than 1.3V; and at a core clock of 1250MHz, it shows artificats. Benching right now at 58C with a water cooling setup. Wish I could increase the voltage more than 1.3 :twisted:

sapphire trixx allows to go beyond 1.3v.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
I wouldn't want the core to go a lot beyond 58c anyway with extreme volts/oc

My arctic setup doesn't go a lot above that either.

Besides, irrespective of temp anything beyond 1.2V over long term will kill your card, chances are sooner than later.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Trixx or ASUS GPU Tweak (if you have an ASUS BIOS I think) will take you to 1.4V. However after 1.3V your chances of permanently damaging your card drastically increase, even for short benching runs. Temperature plays an important protective factor here.
Besides, irrespective of temp anything beyond 1.2V over long term will kill your card, chances are sooner than later.
AMD's new boost cards run 1.25V default. Up to 1.3V is perfectly fine for 24/7 use as long as you keep your temperatures in check.

mariokiller64

Oct 27, 2012
Trixx or ASUS GPU Tweak (if you have an ASUS BIOS I think) will take you to 1.4V. However after 1.3V your chances of permanently damaging your card drastically increase, even for short benching runs. Temperature plays an important protective factor here.

AMD's new boost cards run 1.25V default. Up to 1.3V is perfectly fine for 24/7 use as long as you keep your temperatures in check.
So even if temps are low and voltages are high, I still pretty much have a high chance of damaging my card after 1.3V, huh?

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
So even if temps are low and voltages are high, I still pretty much have a high chance of damaging my card after 1.3V, huh?
Yes. The reasons chips die when we push them in overclocking is electromigration. Things like current, voltage, frequency, and heat all contribute to this. By improving cooling we can get more leg room with voltage (and therefore current), but only to a certain extent. Unfortunately things start to degrade exponentially at a point, and on average that's around 1.3V for the 79xx chips. Of course, each chip is its own, and some can go further and some can't even hold at 1.3V.