7950 Boost, 7970 GHz or wait, for this system?

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Recently upgraded to IvyBridge from a C2D system and that was a significant improvement.

Intel i5-3570K stock clocks
16GB DDR3
Win7x64

Currently running two HD6950s, one from my old rig, one extra I had lying around. Though really only using one since I play games in windowed mode (1920x1080). I run two displays, currently both 1080p, though one or both may be upgraded to something higher res within a year or so or to 120Hz.

Currently playing Crysis 3, MechWarrior Online, Hitman: Absolution, and Total War: Rome II is on my wishlist.

The 6950 just barely keeps the frames playable and sticking in the other one I had lying around helps if I run fullscreen but I rarely do that and it does run a lot hotter. Running multiple GPUs (on separate cards) seems very inefficient and I'd much rather have just one card in the case.

But I only buy GPUs every 2-3 years so I want to get something that will last without regrets for the next 2-3 years. I've had great luck with AMD cards the last three generations or so. But this time around they seem very expensive. I'd like to keep to $350 or less.

• Will the 7970 GHz be dropping in price now that NVidia has the GTX-770 out?
  • Will there be a new AMD series announced soon? If so, how soon will it be slated to arrive?
  • Better to wait another month or two, or get something now?
  • The 2nd DVI output being single-link is disappointing given all my previous AMD cards had two dual-link DVI outputs. But since they also have dp and hdmi, would i be okay if I upgraded to two 120Hz displays in the future?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Wait for the 760ti and see what price movement we might see from AMD. The 7950 is the best deal overall. The HIS 7950 IceQ X² is a bear of a card and should drop below $300 once the 760 ti comes out. The out the door price of 7970's should get to ~$350 in pretty short order with the 770 @ $400 if you want a 7970.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
ETA on the 760ti? Haven't seen much news of that card model yet, is the ETA still June 1st?

Last edited:

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
lol oh right. i keep forgetting it's already June!

wonder when the NDAs expire on it so we can see some reviews.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
You said "But I only buy GPUs every 2-3 years so I want to get something that will last without regrets for the next 2-3 years." That makes me think you should wait, because we are in a dicey period right now with new consoles about to appear. If you have ~2.5 year upgrade cycles, you may find yourself on the wrong end of performance if you upgrade right now. I would see what kind of grunt you need to play PS4/XBO ports and what kind of minimum VRAM and stuff like that, then upgrade accordingly. While you are probably going to be fine with, say, a 7950 3GB, we're only half a year away from 2014 and the next-gen video cards and consoles. Surely you can wait that long? It's not like you have a weak system right now.

Recently upgraded to IvyBridge from a C2D system and that was a significant improvement.

Intel i5-3570K stock clocks
16GB DDR3
Win7x64

Currently running two HD6950s, one from my old rig, one extra I had lying around. Though really only using one since I play games in windowed mode (1920x1080). I run two displays, currently both 1080p, though one or both may be upgraded to something higher res within a year or so or to 120Hz.

Currently playing Crysis 3, MechWarrior Online, Hitman: Absolution, and Total War: Rome II is on my wishlist.

The 6950 just barely keeps the frames playable and sticking in the other one I had lying around helps if I run fullscreen but I rarely do that and it does run a lot hotter. Running multiple GPUs (on separate cards) seems very inefficient and I'd much rather have just one card in the case.

But I only buy GPUs every 2-3 years so I want to get something that will last without regrets for the next 2-3 years. I've had great luck with AMD cards the last three generations or so. But this time around they seem very expensive. I'd like to keep to $350 or less.

• Will the 7970 GHz be dropping in price now that NVidia has the GTX-770 out?
  • Will there be a new AMD series announced soon? If so, how soon will it be slated to arrive?
  • Better to wait another month or two, or get something now?
  • The 2nd DVI output being single-link is disappointing given all my previous AMD cards had two dual-link DVI outputs. But since they also have dp and hdmi, would i be okay if I upgraded to two 120Hz displays in the future?