7900GT fan NOT slowing down after boot up

BoboKatt

Nov 18, 2004
Hi there,

Not sure if this is an issue or a problem but I recently upgraded to a new Leadtek 7900GT from my older (though loved) BFG 6800GT. The one thing I noted right away was that as my BFG 6800GT would start up, when I booted my comp from fresh, it would be loud as the fan would be spinning full tilt and then as WIndowsXp would load it would all of a sudden queit down to almost silent. I truly LOVED this, it never was loud and I honestly have to give it to BFG for making such a good product.

Now I got this new 7900GT and it powers up load as that incredibly small fan really does pump out some serious noise. Then as I boot to WindowsXP it does NOT throttle down like the BFG 6800GT. Now was it the drivers from Nvidia that throttle it down (i actually was using Guru drivers originally) and now have the Nvidia Reference ones. Or was it part of the actual card, or is it a BIOS setting? Or simply the 7900GT does not throttle down? What controls that?

Muhadib

Jan 11, 2005
I use speedfan with a 3rd party cooler. Problem solved.

I remember seeing a setting in the display control panel about fan speed. Maybe check that out?

Doctorweir

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2000
Also consider while trying to slow down that fan that sometimes there is a bug where the fan runs like 100% until you go under 20% with the setting...happened to me once...had to set the card to like 10% for 2D and 15% for 3D mode...

Live

Oct 20, 2002
There is a thread about this here:7900gt fan won't quiet down . Its in fact a very common problem with currently no known solution. Some cards work some don't. I'm starting to think a RMA is the only solution. Even if a 3d party cooler could fix the symptoms I don't like the idea of having a card that is malfunctioning from the start. I mean what does that say about the quality.