7900 GT Artifacts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
I went ahead and called them last night to see if they had a BIOS update or anything that might fix the issue. The first guy I talked to was very helpful getting my card registered (my exact model number wasn't listed) and was very friendly. They suggested the basic stuff, reseat, blow out, reload drivers. I told them I had already tried all of those steps, so he had me download their precision tool to kick the fan speed. He said if that didn't work I would have to send it in. He said it sounded like the memory and even admitted there were problems with the cards. I had already heard of the issues, but it was nice to get some straightforward honest info from the tech support.
So I kicked the fan up full blast. That did help with the artifacts, but it didn't get rid of them completely. I called back after doing those tests, and reseating again just for the heck of it.
The second guy I talked to was trying to tell me I didn't qualify for warranty and my purchase would only qualify for the 1+1 which would be expired. I purchased mine in March 2006. His argument was that since I never registered it didn't apply to me. I politely stated my case that their website clearly says purchases made after November 2006 and above that is says all products receive lifetime warranty from June 2005 and later. So the way I understand it is since I am in between those two dates I am covered. I also told him the previous guy I talked to just a couple of hours before said it would be covered. So after 10 or so minutes of going back and forth he finally just pulled up my account and I was already listed as being eligible for RMA. He still stood by his argument that I shouldn't be eligible, but he said to go ahead and apply for the RMA. I sent that in last night around 9 my time and I just got the appoval a few minutes ago. So a 24 hour turnaround for me. I should be able to get shipped tomorrow.

It looks like you and I should be getting our replacements around the same time Eluros.

Anyways, all you folks who buy EVGA make sure you register within 30 days or you are out of luck with the warranty. I know I will register my replacement card as soon as it gets to my house.

Boobs McGee

Feb 6, 2006
I got my RMA replacement card today. They sent me a 8800GTS 320.

I installed the card, went into safe mode and cleaned out all the old drivers just to be safe. Then I booted back up and installed the most recent from the nvidia site, 175.19 I believe.
I rebooted again after that because it wasn't letting me change the resolution from 640x480. It booted up into 1920x1200 and I was thinking everything was good. I start messing around in the nvidia control panel, closed that and was getting ready to start a game and blue screened.
Rebooted got into windows, blue screened again. I am at work so I don't have the message but I think it was chain machine error or something along those lines. I will get into troubleshooting it more tomorrow. Hopefully its not the video card. The card they sent me is obviously used due to scratches/wearing on the plastic cover over the hsf.

mlk3454

Jan 9, 2003
To bump an old thread I had the same issues with my eVGA 7900GT KO and was able to RMA and they sent back an 8800GT. I just got it and have not been able to test it out yet but it came in an unmarked box with no paperwork. It installed just fine but as noted before when I was installing it the card had looked like it was handled before so it is probably just a return or RMA. As long as it works better than my funked 7900GT I will be happy.