7800gt voltmod?

NeonFlak

Sep 27, 2000
Is there a walkthrough or pics of a gpu/mem voltmod for the 7800gt that just uses a pencil or conductive ink like on the 7900gt?

Thanks

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
The only thing you can volt mod with pencil on the 7800gt is the mem voltage. You can mod your bios to provide up to 1.5 volts, but if you want past there you have to hard volt mod it.

Edit: here is the link for the hard volt mods: Link

and here is the link for the core bios volt mod: Link

If you don't want to solder on your board then do the pencil volt mod for memory and the bios volt mod for the core. Other wise get some variable resistors at radio shack solder them in there and have some fun. Be sure to get a volt meter and some better cooling for the 7800gt.

Good luck. Share your results with us when your done. I can get about 560 on the core and 1330 on the mem but it is only stable enough to run bench marks I usually run it at about 550 and 1300.

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
ergg they still haven't fixed that. There is a thread on their forums letting them know they need to put them back on or what ever. I can take a picture of my card and show you what you need to do. Just give me a little bit cause the camra I would use is my brothers and he isn't home from work yet. Are you wanting to solder or just do the pencil trick and bios mod? If you have good cooling I would suggest soldering a vr on there so you can adjust the volts up past 1.5 and get some good overclocking on your core. I have it at about 1.6 volts on mine I would go higher but I am air cooling and I don't want to bust it.

If you do solder I would suggest finding some practice pcbs to work on first like a an old or broken part it doesn't matter what it is as long as it has some transitors or such on a pcb to mess with.

I haven't had as much luck with memory volts I wonder If I did the hard volt mod on that if I couldn't get better results oh well. It is sitting at 2.33v if I remember right.

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
Here is a pic of the mem volt mod area Link
The place he has the VR soldered to that is the register you need to trace around.

Like this |_| just make sure it is continuous you are basicly making a trace on the pcb with pencil lead. Measure!!! the resistence as you are doing this. It is a bit funny you could be tracing along and not get any change in resistance and then all of a sudden it is at .1 ohms. If you go to far just erase it and start over. The original resistance is 620 ohms lowering it to about 600 ohms will increase the Vmem voltage by 0.06v default voltage is 2.08v I will try to find a picture of where you can measure the volts when the card is running if I can't find one then I will take a picture of it.

redbox

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2005
Ok here is a link with a picture of measure spots for both the core and the mem and also the core volt mod. Here it is Link

Here is a real good picture of the GPU mod area the wire to the far right is where yo measure the gpu voltage. Link

And here is a real good picture of the Vmem area the red circle is the resistor you want to trace around and the wire to the right is where you measure the mem voltage. Link

These are about the best pics you'll get apart from the site I hope they help you.