7800gs CO Superclock and Oblivion

Maxspeed996

Dec 9, 2005
Just wanting to know how this card is performing....and if the SM3.0 support makes a big difference with this game...and being able to run in HDR. I'm buying the game tonight after work , and wondering if this card will handle the buisness of running this game with the goodies turned up.....
And , are there any settings or anything anyone can recomend with this card?

Maxspeed996

Dec 9, 2005
Any comments?
Tell me to go f--k off....?
Anything?
just got the card and haven't had a chance to play with it. It looks like it's gonna be adequate to rock this game out , but I just wanted opinions of others that may have this card...

Nextman916

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2005
It will run at 1280x1024 smoothly maximum details, with HDR around 35fps avg, or with bloom+AA/AF even better. Which is perfect because this oblivion only requires about 25fps to be smooth imo. It will look beautiful on your rig dont worry.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
It will run just fine on your gs.
Once you get the game, go here for tweaks.
(lots of good info here)

At the very least, get the Landscape LOD texture replacement that fixes those blurry distant ground textures. ;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I was playing it on a 6800GT @ Ultra clockspeeds which isn't a lot slower & framerates were acceptable (to my eye) at 1024x768 with 3/4 of thge settings cranked up most of the time, however in outdoor battles it got seriously choppy & 1280x1024 was unplayable except indoors, just running through foilage in the mountains turned into a slide-show above medium detail. *(On Opteron 170 @ 2.4ghz with 2gb RAM)

Maxspeed996

Dec 9, 2005
Are these mods good? I've been hearing of people doing tweaks to the game to get better image quality. I'll probably run this at 1280 x 1024 and see how it goes. There have just been so many threads in here about benchmarks , and tests , and how this game can really bring some advanced systems to their knees. Mine isn't totally top of the line , but I can do a bit o gaming on it....
I'm having one of my friends come over tonight after work , and I might kick on my Projector for him , so we can watch it on the big screen.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
The Landscape LOD texture replacement that fixes those blurry distant ground textures, just fixes the blurry distant land textures that come with the game.

And does not effect performance AT ALL.

Once you have the game installed, you'll see. ;)

As for the other tweaks on the site i linked to, different people report different results. (of course)

Ive tweaked the game for a X1900xtx, x1900xt, 7800gt, x1600 for myself and friends and everyone was very pleased with the results.
(better image quality and better performance)

So i personally feel the tweaks on that site are worth it.

As well as several other tweaks ive done to get the game running smoother outdooors on a 7800gt and a x1600.

Just wait until you have it installed and dont do any "tweaks" or mods ....play the game until you are outdoors and see if the default settings that came with the game are acceptable to you.

If not, you'd be amazed what can be done with a little effort and tweaking. ;)

Maxspeed996

Dec 9, 2005
Right on , I'm really looking forward to this , and I've built expectations up pretty high in regards to what I'm going to see , graphics wise... My buddy has no idea , as he's just getting into gaming and 3 months ago just got Call of Duty (the first one) and after building a newer system with an x1800 is playing Doom3 and thinks it's the best thing he's ever seen. I'm just doing this to make him drool , and wish he would have spent a bit more than the $140 on his Saphire Radeon x1800....He thinks playing on his big screen (projection) tv is cool. I'm like dude , you can't read anything!! sure the picture is neat (whatever) but you can't read any text , that's gay......
I'll check the mods out after a bit of playing like you say , and see what kind of difference it makes.

Maxspeed996

Dec 9, 2005
OMG this game is friggin awesome!!!! I've never seen graphics like this!!
The only thing I'm not happy about is that this game seems to have a few bugs in it still. I'm getting random crashes during loads , and sometimes right after a fresh restart I would start the game and go to load , and select my game and click yes , the entire system would lock up. I don't know if other have been experiencing this type of deal with it. But it is rather annoying!!! Just getting places and starting to see some growth with my character, and wham , "An unexplained error has occured with Oblivion and the application must close"
Hopefully there will be a patch for this? Anyone got any comments on that?