7600GT overheating?

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
So i have never had an issue with heating on this PC. I have an AMD brisbane 3600+ X2, eVGA 7600GT, 1gig of buffalo select PC2 5300 memory. I believe this is just a cheap ECS or PCCHIPS motherboard. Here is a link to the video card:

http://www.newegg.com/product/...x?Item=N82E16814130073

Now, I never monitored temps before tonight. I started getting WoW freezing for about 5-10seconds, then coming back but with weird artifacts. I thought it was a heating issue so I installed the N-tune software to monitor it.

I am idling at 62C and when playing wow it averages at 72C.

Is this the cause of the lockups? Why would this change all of a sudden. My house has been 70F for a while and nothing has changed in the room with the PCs. Should I clean out the case for dust?

There is only 1 system fan in the PC, but its a large case that looks pretty empty compared to most PCs. Any Advice?

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008
the cooler is not too good on that card , others have had problems too . get an arctic accelero or zalman .

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
so it is an overheating problem? I just reseated it and used some compressed air and its idling at 55C now

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
just went back into wow and had the same lockups, with it hitting over 70C again. I just don't understand why it has been fine for 10 months, and now there are overheating issues.

This seems to be a card issue. I am still within my 1year replacement period from Newegg but they no longer carry this card. what will they do to replace it then?

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
Temps of 72c load under are actually normal for the 7 series with the stock fan. I would worry if temps were more like 80c+. It's probably just the cards memory going bad (with the artifacting @ only 72c) or maybe try uninstalling drivers (different drivers maybe) and reinstall again. If you use newegg for the replacement they likely still have the 7600GT -- if you go through eVGA you will probably get an 8600GT. If lucky maybe an 8600GTS.

imported_Scoop

Dec 10, 2007
My 7600GT idles at 70C and goes to over 90C under serious load and it's working fine. Maybe the card just went bad?

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for the responses. It must be the memory then because I tried to video cards and it didn't help. I'll try running bioshock later and see if the same thing happens.

Newegg doesn't have my -exact- card anymore. The one they have has 1 vga and 1 dvi, where mine has 2 dvi ports. Would newegg just shove another 7600GT off on me, or would they match the $110 I originally spent on the card and give me a 8600GTS (which is now $110)?

Do you guys recommend me going through Newegg or eVGA? I don't have the original packaging anymore :(

Sheninat0r

Jun 8, 2007
Wow... your temps really high compared to mine. My eVGA 7600GT KO idles at <40 degrees Celsius according to nV monitor, and gets up to ~52 degrees at load.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
That is not high..

How are your CPU temps? Have you tried any other games? And are you overclocking?

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
well, i left my PC running and I just got back to my computer turned off. That computer will no longer boot. The power light just blinks now and here is a soft clicking/beeping noise that is in sync with the light.

I wasn't overclocking, didnt look into my CPU temp before it died. I'm looking up what that light/beep means now in my ECS manual.

The motherboard is an ECS K8M890M-M but the ECS manual doesn't have any troubleshooting section where they explain what different blinks/beeps mean.

This has been an adventure. update:

So if the light was the HDD light because i disconnected it. reconnecting it makes the HDD stay solid red -but- I still hear that beeping, it's coming from my MB.

When I hit the power button the beeping starts and my computer attempts to boot. HDD disk spins, DVD-ROM spins and lights up, then it seems like it just resets itself and tries again.

If I remove the ram, I get actually PC speaker beeps not like the current subtle beeps.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
wow.... so I took my video card out and tried to get a different error beep... and my PC booted into windows.

I guess ECS makes crappy enough boards that they don't even bother to check to see if a video card is plugged in. So, my video card is crap.

So I guess my question is now this:

Newegg doesn't have my -exact- card anymore. The one they have has 1 vga and 1 dvi, where mine has 2 dvi ports. Would newegg just shove another 7600GT off on me, or would they match the $110 I originally spent on the card and give me a 8600GTS (which is now $110)?

Do you guys recommend me going through Newegg or eVGA? I don't have the original packaging anymore