75X/G Mobo - Analsysis if I have the right info before I start my Intel O/C

DPOverLord

Golden Member
Dec 20, 1999
Greetings,
I have scoured the web for good reads on successful O/C?ing my new E6600. I started O/C with the AMD chips and had relative good success by reading the DFI Ultra-D NF4 and Venice O/C guides which were on DFI Street(DIY now). I read the few guides you posted here and was wondering if you could tell me how my setup looks and if I have my FAQ?s straight since I will be starting tonight.

CPU: Intel E6600 L649G984
Mobo: DFI Infinity 975G/X
Cooler: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Active: SilenX 72 CFM Fan
NB Cooler: HR-05SLI ( Passive)
RAM: OCZ Platinum Rev 2 (2x1GB)
GPU: Sapphire 1950xt 256mb
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 600Watt

Case: Pics http://www.rit.edu/~jnm6650/DaRig/lrg_1274.jpg http://www.rit.edu/~jnm6650/DaRig/lrg_1277.jpg

To my questions: After reading about ?Straps? my understanding is that it is the latency of the NB. There is a 1066 1333 strap. Now the lower strap does not mean the better performance. Since it depends on my FSB frequency.

If I am looking for the best O/C I still have to do the traditional, MAX CPU (ram out of the question) and Vice Versa. Now how does this play in with straps? I figure there are a lot of guys here who have worked with a similar setup as me ( maybe not with the Extreme Heatsink though). So with that being said what is the best way to figure out timings with taking in consideration straps?
Furthermore, what is the danger zone temp wise on these pieces of hardware and what is the danger zone for Voltage / Vcore? The last thing I want to do is fry the chip and I am hoping that you all have ?been there done that? so any help you give is greatly appreciated.
Also what is the best Bios to put on this badboy from the get go?

On a side note I know I should be disabling Intel SpeedStep, and setting your BIOS to manual (Jumper Free) control.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
<70 Core Temps are fine. Dell OEM parts run close to 80 core temp.

You will need to the 1:1 divider or 2:3 divider. Overall it is a good board, but you need to download the newest bios.

Ram timings are as low as you make them, there is no magic answer to this.

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
You are not reading the thermal profile correctly.

You are going to want to read page 79-80 of the processor specifications LINKY

When cpu power-draw is increased so is Tcase. Thermal Throttle will always kick in at 85C on Conroe and 100C on Kentsfield. Specifications state that running your cpu in a state of throttle over time will degrade the chip.

Tcase is .26x+43.2 where x is W of cpu usage. As x is increased so too is the temperature of the die.

That is why Conroe E6600 is .26(65) + 43.2 (16.9+43.2) == 60.1 or Tcase. It will be higher on X6800 and also Kentsfield.
tCASEMAX is 85 degrees, tCASEHALT is 100 degrees. These can not be disabled.

Again this is why Dell can release OEM C2D boxes that have core temps of 75-80 degrees, my Macbook with a Yonah DC is even higher than that running around 90 degrees C, but it is still below tCASEMAX for the chip which is 100.

Server market is also screwed if Intel is only allowing temps of 60. You know how hard it is to keep 8 cores in a blade that cool.

Going to Explode!

You are to this point a dearth of poor information.

Please learn what tCASE and Thermal Specifications are before posting.

When the Thermal Monitor feature is enabled, and a high temperature situation exists
(i.e., TCC is active), the clocks will be modulated by alternately turning the clocks off
and on at a duty cycle specific to the processor (typically 30?50%). Clocks often will
not be off for more than 3.0 microseconds when the TCC is active. Cycle times are
processor speed dependent and will decrease as processor core frequencies increase. A
small amount of hysteresis has been included to prevent rapid active/inactive
transitions of the TCC when the processor temperature is near its maximum operating
temperature. Once the temperature has dropped below the maximum operating
temperature, and the hysteresis timer has expired, the TCC goes inactive and clock
modulation ceases.
With a properly designed and characterized thermal solution, it is anticipated that the
TCC would only be activated for very short periods of time when running the most
power intensive applications. The processor performance impact due to these brief
periods of TCC activation is expected to be so minor that it would be immeasurable. An
under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent excessive activation of the
TCC in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a noticeable performance loss,
and in some cases may result in a TC that exceeds the specified maximum temperature
and may affect the long-term reliability of the processor. In addition, a thermal solution
that is significantly under-designed may not be capable of cooling the processor even
when the TCC is active continuously. Refer to the appropriate Thermal and Mechanical
Design Guidelines (see Section 1.2) for information on designing a thermal solution.
The duty cycle for the TCC, when activated by the Thermal Monitor, is factory
configured and cannot be modified. The Thermal Monitor does not require any
additional hardware, software drivers, or interrupt handling routines.

The processor also supports an additional power reduction capability known as Thermal
Monitor 2. This mechanism provides an efficient means for limiting the processor
temperature by reducing the power consumption within the processor.
When Thermal Monitor 2 is enabled, and a high temperature situation is detected, the
Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) will be activated. The TCC causes the processor to adjust
its operating frequency (via the bus multiplier) and input voltage (via the VID signals).
This combination of reduced frequency and VID results in a reduction to the processor
power consumption.
A processor enabled for Thermal Monitor 2 includes two operating points, each
consisting of a specific operating frequency and voltage. The first operating point
represents the normal operating condition for the processor. Under this condition, the
core-frequency-to-FSB multiple used by the processor is that contained in the
appropriate MSR and the VID is that specified in Table 5. These parameters represent
normal system operation.
The second operating point consists of both a lower operating frequency and voltage.
When the TCC is activated, the processor automatically transitions to the new
frequency. This transition occurs very rapidly (on the order of 5 µs). During the
frequency transition, the processor is unable to service any bus requests, and
consequently, all bus traffic is blocked. Edge-triggered interrupts will be latched and
kept pending until the processor resumes operation at the new frequency.
Once the new operating frequency is engaged, the processor will transition to the new
core operating voltage by issuing a new VID code to the voltage regulator. The voltage
regulator must support dynamic VID steps to support Thermal Monitor 2. During the
voltage change, it will be necessary to transition through multiple VID codes to reach
the target operating voltage. Each step will likely be one VID table entry (see Table 5).
The processor continues to execute instructions during the voltage transition.
Operation at the lower voltage reduces the power consumption of the processor.
A small amount of hysteresis has been included to prevent rapid active/inactive
transitions of the TCC when the processor temperature is near its maximum operating
temperature, and the hysteresis timer has expired, the operating frequency and
voltage transition back to the normal system operating point. Transition of the VID code
will occur first, to insure proper operation once the processor reaches its normal
operating frequency. Refer to Figure 23 for an illustration of this ordering.

PROCHOT# Signal
An external signal, PROCHOT# (processor hot), is asserted when the processor core
temperature has reached its maximum operating temperature. If the Thermal Monitor
is enabled (note that the Thermal Monitor must be enabled for the processor to be
operating within specification), the TCC will be active when PROCHOT# is asserted. The
processor can be configured to generate an interrupt upon the assertion or deassertion
of PROCHOT#.
As an output, PROCHOT# (Processor Hot) will go active when the processor
temperature monitoring sensor detects that one or both cores has reached its
maximum safe operating temperature. This indicates that the processor Thermal
Control Circuit (TCC) has been activated, if enabled. As an input, assertion of
PROCHOT# by the system will activate the TCC, if enabled, for both cores. The TCC will
remain active until the system de-asserts PROCHOT#.
PROCHOT# allows for some protection of various components from over-temperature
situations. The PROCHOT# signal is bi-directional in that it can either signal when the
processor (either core) has reached its maximum operating temperature or be driven
from an external source to activate the TCC. The ability to activate the TCC via
PROCHOT# can provide a means for thermal protection of system components.
PROCHOT# can allow VR thermal designs to target maximum sustained current instead
of maximum current. Systems should still provide proper cooling for the VR, and rely
on PROCHOT# only as a backup in case of system cooling failure. The system thermal
design should allow the power delivery circuitry to operate within its temperature
specification even while the processor is operating at its Thermal Design Power. With a
properly designed and characterized thermal solution, it is anticipated that PROCHOT#
would only be asserted for very short periods of time when running the most power
intensive applications. An under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent
excessive assertion of PROCHOT# in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a
noticeable performance loss. Refer to the the Voltage Regulator-Down (VRD) 11.0
Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines For Desktop LGA775 Socket for details on
implementing the bi-directional PROCHOT# feature.

THERMTRIP# Signal
Regardless of whether or not Thermal Monitor or Thermal Monitor 2 is enabled, in the
event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when
the silicon has reached an elevated temperature (refer to the THERMTRIP# definition in
Table 24). At this point, the FSB signal THERMTRIP# will go active and stay active as
described in Table 24. THERMTRIP# activation is independent of processor activity and
does not generate any bus cycles. If THERMTRIP# is asserted, processor core voltage
(VCC) must be removed within the timeframe defined in Table 10.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Yoxxy
You are not reading the thermal profile correctly.

You are going to want to read page 79-80 of the processor specifications LINKY

When cpu power-draw is increased so is Tcase. Thermal Throttle will always kick in at 85C on Conroe and 100C on Kentsfield. Specifications state that running your cpu in a state of throttle over time will degrade the chip.

Tcase is .26x+43.2 where x is W of cpu usage. As x is increased so too is the temperature of the die.

That is why Conroe E6600 is .26(65) + 43.2 (16.9+43.2) == 60.1 or Tcase. It will be higher on X6800 and also Kentsfield.
tCASEMAX is 85 degrees, tCASEHALT is 100 degrees. These can not be disabled.

Again this is why Dell can release OEM C2D boxes that have core temps of 75-80 degrees, my Macbook with a Yonah DC is even higher than that running around 90 degrees C, but it is still below tCASEMAX for the chip which is 100.

Server market is also screwed if Intel is only allowing temps of 60. You know how hard it is to keep 8 cores in a blade that cool.

[=Going to Explode!]http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/737/zomgshesgoingtoblowya4.jpg[/L]

You are to this point a dearth of poor information.

Please learn what tCASE and Thermal Specifications are before posting.

When the Thermal Monitor feature is enabled, and a high temperature situation exists
(i.e., TCC is active), the clocks will be modulated by alternately turning the clocks off
and on at a duty cycle specific to the processor (typically 30?50%). Clocks often will
not be off for more than 3.0 microseconds when the TCC is active. Cycle times are
processor speed dependent and will decrease as processor core frequencies increase. A
small amount of hysteresis has been included to prevent rapid active/inactive
temperature, and the hysteresis timer has expired, the TCC goes inactive and clock
modulation ceases.
With a properly designed and characterized thermal solution, it is anticipated that the
TCC would only be activated for very short periods of time when running the most
power intensive applications. The processor performance impact due to these brief
periods of TCC activation is expected to be so minor that it would be immeasurable. An
under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent excessive activation of the
TCC in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a noticeable performance loss,
and in some cases may result in a TC that exceeds the specified maximum temperature
and may affect the long-term reliability of the processor. In addition, a thermal solution
that is significantly under-designed may not be capable of cooling the processor even
when the TCC is active continuously. Refer to the appropriate Thermal and Mechanical
Design Guidelines (see Section 1.2) for information on designing a thermal solution.
The duty cycle for the TCC, when activated by the Thermal Monitor, is factory
configured and cannot be modified. The Thermal Monitor does not require any
additional hardware, software drivers, or interrupt handling routines.

The processor also supports an additional power reduction capability known as Thermal
Monitor 2. This mechanism provides an efficient means for limiting the processor
temperature by reducing the power consumption within the processor.
When Thermal Monitor 2 is enabled, and a high temperature situation is detected, the
Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) will be activated. The TCC causes the processor to adjust
its operating frequency (via the bus multiplier) and input voltage (via the VID signals).
This combination of reduced frequency and VID results in a reduction to the processor
power consumption.
A processor enabled for Thermal Monitor 2 includes two operating points, each
consisting of a specific operating frequency and voltage. The first operating point
represents the normal operating condition for the processor. Under this condition, the
core-frequency-to-FSB multiple used by the processor is that contained in the
appropriate MSR and the VID is that specified in Table 5. These parameters represent
normal system operation.
The second operating point consists of both a lower operating frequency and voltage.
When the TCC is activated, the processor automatically transitions to the new
frequency. This transition occurs very rapidly (on the order of 5 µs). During the
frequency transition, the processor is unable to service any bus requests, and
consequently, all bus traffic is blocked. Edge-triggered interrupts will be latched and
kept pending until the processor resumes operation at the new frequency.
Once the new operating frequency is engaged, the processor will transition to the new
core operating voltage by issuing a new VID code to the voltage regulator. The voltage
regulator must support dynamic VID steps to support Thermal Monitor 2. During the
voltage change, it will be necessary to transition through multiple VID codes to reach
the target operating voltage. Each step will likely be one VID table entry (see Table 5).
The processor continues to execute instructions during the voltage transition.
Operation at the lower voltage reduces the power consumption of the processor.
A small amount of hysteresis has been included to prevent rapid active/inactive
temperature, and the hysteresis timer has expired, the operating frequency and
voltage transition back to the normal system operating point. Transition of the VID code
will occur first, to insure proper operation once the processor reaches its normal
operating frequency. Refer to Figure 23 for an illustration of this ordering.

PROCHOT# Signal
An external signal, PROCHOT# (processor hot), is asserted when the processor core
temperature has reached its maximum operating temperature. If the Thermal Monitor
is enabled (note that the Thermal Monitor must be enabled for the processor to be
operating within specification), the TCC will be active when PROCHOT# is asserted. The
processor can be configured to generate an interrupt upon the assertion or deassertion
of PROCHOT#.
As an output, PROCHOT# (Processor Hot) will go active when the processor
temperature monitoring sensor detects that one or both cores has reached its
maximum safe operating temperature. This indicates that the processor Thermal
Control Circuit (TCC) has been activated, if enabled. As an input, assertion of
PROCHOT# by the system will activate the TCC, if enabled, for both cores. The TCC will
remain active until the system de-asserts PROCHOT#.
PROCHOT# allows for some protection of various components from over-temperature
situations. The PROCHOT# signal is bi-directional in that it can either signal when the
processor (either core) has reached its maximum operating temperature or be driven
from an external source to activate the TCC. The ability to activate the TCC via
PROCHOT# can provide a means for thermal protection of system components.
PROCHOT# can allow VR thermal designs to target maximum sustained current instead
of maximum current. Systems should still provide proper cooling for the VR, and rely
on PROCHOT# only as a backup in case of system cooling failure. The system thermal
design should allow the power delivery circuitry to operate within its temperature
specification even while the processor is operating at its Thermal Design Power. With a
properly designed and characterized thermal solution, it is anticipated that PROCHOT#
would only be asserted for very short periods of time when running the most power
intensive applications. An under-designed thermal solution that is not able to prevent
excessive assertion of PROCHOT# in the anticipated ambient environment may cause a
noticeable performance loss. Refer to the the Voltage Regulator-Down (VRD) 11.0
Processor Power Delivery Design Guidelines For Desktop LGA775 Socket for details on
implementing the bi-directional PROCHOT# feature.

THERMTRIP# Signal
Regardless of whether or not Thermal Monitor or Thermal Monitor 2 is enabled, in the
event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when
the silicon has reached an elevated temperature (refer to the THERMTRIP# definition in
Table 24). At this point, the FSB signal THERMTRIP# will go active and stay active as
described in Table 24. THERMTRIP# activation is independent of processor activity and
does not generate any bus cycles. If THERMTRIP# is asserted, processor core voltage
(VCC) must be removed within the timeframe defined in Table 10.
Nice "cut and paste" there. :roll:

By the way, page 79 on that "LINKY" you gave says 60.1°C too. :p

The-Noid

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Dear Conky (didn't you use another name in the past, why did you switch, people didn't like you?):

In my post I also explained you didn't understand what tCASE is. You try to divert your incorrectness away by simply stating a single thing.

Again to summarize. Thermal Profile != Max Temperature.

When you overclock you increase cpu W(watt for the simple-minded like yourself) usage. Are you saying that if I hypothetically had an e6600 at 5.0 ghz with 1.8v, which would be using about 270-285w that my max temperature has increased to to .26(285)+43.2 == 117.3?

That is why tCASEMAX is 85. This is explained with the PROCHOT and PROCHALT commands.

I can put smilies in my post as well. That must make me correct always like yourself.

Write a real meaningful post, not using smilies, and make it: factual, correct, non-opinionated. You can correct mine then. Otherwise this is not the off-topic forum, I assume your advice is better there about life-topics for nerds.

:);):(:disgust::D:Q:p:cool::frown::confused::brokenheart::beer::wine::lips::camera:

DPOverLord

Golden Member
Dec 20, 1999
So whats the consensus and best way to O/C this :cool:
P.S. is the '07 or the 12/06 bios betteR?