75GXP Click of death

Viper0329

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2000
*gulp

Someone describe to me the sound the 75gxp makes right before it dies.....

*gulp

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i've been having sounds like that from my wd hd since day one, but it's been working fine for a few months

kassy

Sep 13, 2000
A slow dull click.......click.......click...

My Hubby uses IBM 75 GXP's and 60 GXP drives... they all make that sound from time to time... He will turn his pc off, leave it for a hour and when he reboots the sound has gone....

Its worked so far.... but its just a matter of time.

AgentZap

Sep 1, 2001
My IBM drive makes that cluck cluck coo noise and I thought I was going crazy. Wow someone else out there has the same noise. It only makes it when going into powersave though (spinning down).

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
This drive is notorious for click click click then die!..but ive had myne since they came out, not a single clickaroo yet !?

6TNINE

Banned
Oct 6, 2000
my POS 75gxp clicks all the time then the entire computer will freeze. Luckily i only use it to store stuff that i only access every week or two. So i just unplug it when i'm not using it. Hopefully it'll stay alive

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I haven't heard mine make any click noises yet... It had better not die.... *backs up E: drive*

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
OMG....if I ever heard any of those noises coming from my drive I would be scared sh!tless!

Cosmickarma

Banned
Feb 26, 2002
barumpum barumpumpumpum

whats wrong with the 75GXP....isnt it supposed to be a quiet drive and a good performer....dont abuse your drive too much. The 60GXP is a notorious drive...every keep away from it. i used to wonder why the 60GXP drives were cheap....well now we know.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
I heard that the 60GXP drives were awesome. And the 75GXP's only had like the highest failure rate out of any hard drive ever. Having 1/3 drives DOA can't really be attributed to abuse.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< cluck cluck coo? >>

Ah reminds me of first generation Iomega Zip100. I've RMA'ed twice and third drive died about a year later. I've stayed away from zip after that. It was amazing. The drive clicks and will infect the disks. When you use infected(physically damaged due to drive failure) in other drives, you kill those drives also.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

<< my POS 75gxp clicks all the time then the entire computer will freeze. Luckily i only use it to store stuff that i only access every week or two. So i just unplug it when i'm not using it. Hopefully it'll stay alive

>>

You should be able to RMA that drive for a new one.

I have 2 40GB 60GXP's, they are more than a year old and I love 'em. Fast and so quiet I never even hear 'em run.

I have another comp with a WD 200BB (a little shy of 2 years old) in it where it is started to click a bit at spin-up/spin-down.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001

<< barumpum barumpumpumpum

whats wrong with the 75GXP....isnt it supposed to be a quiet drive and a good performer....dont abuse your drive too much. The 60GXP is a notorious drive...every keep away from it. i used to wonder why the 60GXP drives were cheap....well now we know.
>>

Quick google search for "75GXP failure" yields...

Class Action Lawsuit vs IBM

User comments on 75GXP

Webhost stops using 75GXPs

Users Complain About IBM's Crashing Drives

IBMDeskstar 75GXP DMA/ATA-100 (Ultra) User Ratings on CNET (37% positive, 67% negative)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I've got a couple 40 gig 60 GXP's here and I totally love them, they are fast and above all else they are QUIET !!!
I also have a couple of the 30 gig 75 GXP drives, except for the fact that they run very hot and need extra cooling
they haven't been a problem thus far.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
CLICK CLICK LCI CL LC CLLIII III I II I I II)@#*($ *# @)@#* $CICK *()@#) $(@*$) (
CLICKCIC OI#UR O#I@JU @)$(U @)($ #@G

GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINDDDDDDDDDDDDDD###@#@# @DDD#D@D@DDD#D#D# # @#D D# D D D B EE EE BEP @# ## #@
@#@#

F EHEHEH EH HWH EH#
@@QWW#
QW GIRIRIRIBQ BE B"E BEBBE

B
AEe
EB
*putterputtputt*

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
People in GH said that they are getting 120GXP's back from their RMA'd 75GXP.

Might be worth it to RMA the cursed thing

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001

<< People in GH said that they are getting 120GXP's back from their RMA'd 75GXP.

>>

Could it be because they found some inherent flaws in 75GXP? Keep ya finger crossed that 120GXP won't die soon.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000

<<

<< People in GH said that they are getting 120GXP's back from their RMA'd 75GXP.

>>

Could it be because they found some inherent flaws in 75GXP?
>>

When the failure rate is that high something has to seriously be f$cked up.

<< Keep ya finger crossed that 120GXP won't die soon. >>

heh, that's what I was thinking too.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Looks like I need to spend a little more time in GH.

The 120GXP's are suck.

From StorageReview.com:
Q: Would you recommend this drive in a server role?
A: No, the drive is intended to be on for no more than about 8 hours a day. If it were only used during that period and then shut down for the day, then it would be fine, but it definitely should NOT be used in a 24/7 role for those customers concerned with reliability.

What a bunch of sh#t. Who's going to limit their computer use to less than 8 hours because of a damned hard drive?
rolleye.gif
:frown:

Original Thread

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Isn't there class action litigation against IBM over bum GXP drives??