750W Gold Rated Raidmax PSU - Does It Exist?

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Hey folks, hoping with the metric ton of collective knowledge on these forums that you all might be able to help me with something.

To keep it short and sweet, I have someone who bought a motherboard from me on ebay and I believe is trying to scam me by filing a claim with ebay stating that it didn't work within 1 hour of it being delivered to his mailbox.

Without going into the crazy details I have been trying to get information from the buyer to help troubleshoot the issue, if in fact something is wrong, but he refuses to provide details such as exact make/models (which is super suspect) beyond vague mentions of having "thousands of dollars worth of hardware" that he tested it with.

One of the pieces of hardware that he claims to have used are several Raidmax 750 Watt Gold rated PSUs that he "purchased brand new 6 months ago". Where this gets interesting for me is that I can find literally 0 evidence of such a power supply existing, let alone being sold in the U.S.

I contacted Raidmax support directly to see what they had to say on the matter and they confirmed that no such power supply currently exists in their line-up (as I was able to see for myself before calling by checking their product page), but they were either unwilling or unable to confirm if anything had ever been sold in the past (even when I tried to limit it to a 2-3 year time horizon).

With all that said, the question simply boils down to whether or not there is or has been a Raidmax 750W Gold rated PSU available for purchase anywhere in the world.

Any insights you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated and the more info the better as I am trying to build a case for how this guy is clearly trying to scam me and rip me off.

Thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ah, the good 'ole Ebay buyer scammers. Been there, screwed myself.

I recall seeing some 700w gold Raidmax PSUs, and some bronze 730w units, but if the company is unwilling to say if they sold a 750w gold unit, you might just have to spend some time digging.

But you can tell they don't know as much about computers as they claim to, because if they did they would have never purchased a junk Raidmax PSU. Raidmax PSUs like the Cobra, Scorpio, Vampire, and Thunder lineups aren't known to be good......at all.

My advice on this based on me previously trying to prove a guy was scamming me on brand new headphones I sold him is to just take it back, return their money, and move on. Ebay and Paypal always sides with the buyers. In my case, the guy said the headphones never worked. I sent them a Facebook page where he was using them for a review, and where he said he just didn't like the sound of them. So after 30 days they forced me to take them back, and I couldn't even charge them a fee for opening and using them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lordhumungus

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the input. I have done some amount of research on my end and came up with basically the exact same information. I found the 730W units you referred to, but not much else.

This entire train of thought got started by me asking about his hardware setup, him replying with Raidmax and my pointing out that they often have problems and requesting specific model information which he refused to give beyond "750 Watt Gold Rated" that he bought "several of brand new 6 months" ago.

As for the the clearly solid advice of just moving on from the situation, that is probably the wisest course of action, however the part of me that exists probably somewhere "on the spectrum" cannot let this go without putting up some kind of a fight even if I ultimately lose. I basically feel like I have to take one for the team and be the person that finally says enough is enough with this guy, or he will keep doing it to the other good sellers in the community in the future.

I have been rational, reasonable, helpful and as nice as humanly possible about the situation and in turn the guy has been nothing but unreasonable, childish and I would go so far as to say bordering on displaying signs of mental illness. Also, I have a few things going for me that I'm hoping in combination will work to my advantage which include:

1. I called and spoke to a rep at Ebay and felt as though I got a slight wink/nod that she could see something fishy with this guys account that he has done this either before or habitually
2. The buyer clearly stated in his words that his setup wasn't/isn't working even when the motherboard in question wasn't being used.
3. The buyer filed a claim within 1 hour of receiving the product without ever contacting me and claims to have tested an impossible amount of hardware with the board in that time (4 processors, multiple sets of RAM, video cards, HDDs et al).
4. The buyer outright refuses to give me any specific information about his setup including makes/models of PSU, RAM etc. I also tried asking for any pictures he was willing to provide of his setup, which he again refused.
5. The buyer is claiming to use a PSU which I don't believe even exists, further calling into question all of his alleged hardware.
6. I offered to fully refund him after working with me a bit on trying to troubleshoot, but he believes this to be a "scam" of some sort.
7. I had a similar issue in the same time frame with another buyer who purchased a CPU/Mobo combo from me and was able to work with him and get his issue resolved in about 15 minutes (his was a memory issue completely unrelated to what I sold him).
8. I have 16 years of a perfect record buying and selling on ebay and have done a massive amount of business with them on both ends (something like $30,000 total in the past year alone)

Bottom line is, I am a "take it to the supreme court!" on principal kind of guy, so I'm hoping this all plays out in a favorable way, or at least one in which he is not allowed to do this to other people in the future.

Edit: I am not a superstitious person, but I just started watching a youtube a video which had the song "Straighten Up and Fly Right" playing in the background...

- The monkey looked the buzzard right
Dead in the eye and said
"Your story's so touching
But it sounds just like a lie." -

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well good luck, and I hope you come out better in the end than I did. You sound almost exactly like me when it happened to me. The review link I sent them showed this guy was simply a wannabe headphone reviewer. I offered to send him a brand new pair, but he didn't want that (of course because he already did his review of the model on his page).

My auction had no refunds for money listed in the terms (only return for replacement), I showed both Paypal and Ebay the pair was working based on his review, that he had used them for almost a month, and I was positive I would win the dispute. I was floored when I received the email showing he had won. I didn't even get a chance to make sure the serial number matched what he sent back, because as soon as USPS tracking showed they had been delivered, Ebay immediately sent him the refund from my account,

I have been selling on Ebay since 1999 and never had a bad review before. I was so ticked off I didn't use Ebay or Paypal for about 4 years.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Yeah, the only reason my account history doesn't go back farther than the 16 years is because I opened this account the second I turned 18. Other account was under my mom's info when I was underage.

Thanks for the well wishes either way, gonna keep fighting the good fight, or possibly spontaneously combust trying to do so!

Last edited:

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
I reflected some more on what you said and what was said in my other thread and I think you are ultimately right. Playing the long game it's smarter for me to just eat it and let the universe deal with this guy. As much as I'm going to probably need to take like 58 showers and never sleep again as long as I live, I think some battles just can't be won head-on.

I'd still be interested in the answer to this thread though if anyone has any input!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, it sucks. When I have something to sell nowadays, especially if it's electronics, I try to sell it here or on Craigslist. Even if I don't get as much as I would on Ebay, I don't have to deal with the stress of dealing with many of the buyers there.

I understand Ebay wants shoppers to feel confident they aren't going to get scammed there by sellers after the bad press they got when they first started getting big, but the way they run things now, it's the sellers that get screwed by crooked buyers. Honestly there is really no way for sellers to protect themselves there. Even if you sell something and state there is no returns accepted, they will force you to take it back regardless if it is described 100% accurately and working as it should.

Life is short. It's better to cut your losses, save the aggravation, and spend the time you save doing something you enjoy.

Lordhumungus

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2007
Not to get too OT, but I think the real issue with Ebay's current system is they don't have people with any incentive to actually care about getting the "right" outcome doing the reviews.

I bet they actually have some kind of internal policy on this, but because they only want to pay for min-wage worker bee bots as employees, it just works out where everything gets dumped on the seller because that's the path of least resistance for employees. Could be wrong, but I highly suspect this to be the case.

Reactions: UsandThem

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
I actually stopped selling on Ebay for a while now. It used to be great to unload used pc parts when upgrading but it really left a bad taste when I sold a brand new sealed box keyboard and made the mistake of baking the shipping into the price (as ebay would advise when listing to get more hits). Guy says none of the keys work. Ebay forced me to either pay the return shipping to take it back or just let him have it and refund him. Given the shipping was a good chunk of the price and the fact that he'd probably bust my keyboard first if I did take it back, I let him have it. Not a huge sum of money ($60 or so) but that was the day I said I'm done selling on ebay.

Sadly, I don't see things getting better. Until Ebay eventually does something so the system isn't 100% screw the sellers, I don't see how they can survive in the future as more and more sellers get scammed.