750GB Seagate FreeAgent Pro - $199 @ BestBuy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The Seagate Free Agent is one interface short of my dream drive: It needs GIGABUT ETHERNET!

lhotdeals

Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
I installed the latest JMicron Raid driver, and set my JMicron to RAID in BIOS. My IDE DVD-RW drive is detected by the JMicron Raid driver, but my ESATA isn't .
Unless you're trying to RAID, you don't want that turned on.
The link for your cable is missing. SATA and e-SATA use different style plugs. Look at the difference on the bottom of this page, and make sure you have the correct style.
Good Luck!

I do believe that I have the correct cable, eSATA I to eSATA I cable from MonoPrice:

Anandtech won't let me paste the link to Monoprice.com :( Just do a search "eSATA" at www.monoprice.com.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
OK! It looks like you can set the JMicron controller mode in the BIOS. You might wanna play with those settings.

EDIT; Check out this thread.

lhotdeals

Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Old Hippie
OK! It looks like you can set the JMicron controller mode in the BIOS. You might wanna play with those settings.

EDIT; Check out this thread.

Thanks for the links! I will try to get different esata cables. Anyone here got a eSATA cable that worked with their 750GB FreeAgent drive? If you did, please let me know where you bought the cable from.

Thanks!

rkgriffin

Jan 27, 2002
Tripp Lite P950-18I

Can be found multiple places but got mine on Amazon for the free shipping.

Wolverine27

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2000
I know the coupon has expired but does anyone know if these are still available in store for $199?

Thanks,
Wolverine

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I ended up returning mine. It worked ok via USB, but when I would hook it up via eSATA it would operate VERY slowly before eventually locking up my computer.

Guybrush

Jan 26, 2000
For those with this drive, does the bottom area with the screw (the module) get hot? Mine is and this is when the power's plugged in but turned off! I'm guessing this isn't normal.

rkgriffin

Jan 27, 2002
Haven't tried it with the drive "off" since mine is hooked up to my Tivo S3 and is always on. But, the bottom, especially the screw do get very hot which I have read is normal.

Guybrush

Jan 26, 2000
yeah, the drive itself seems to run pretty cool but that enclosure...this may have to go back