Question $750 Budget for a Gaming PC

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I just sold my system(top one in sig) for $750 and will probably put this money toward a new machine sometime in the future. This is not an emergency by any means, I have another, weaker machine that will serve me just fine at the moment.

I am fishing for some advice or possible builds I can do with my budget. And off course, shopping around for used parts is fine by me. Some parts I already have. Please see below what they are.

Basically my goal is a gaming PC, but it doesn't have to be able to run shooters at 144Hz because I don't care for FPS games. I like stuff like Company of Heroes 2, Metro Exodus, The Outer Worlds, and Far Cry 5. 60 FPS is fine with me as long as that's 60FPS @ 1440p.

I did some quick searching on PC Part picker, and I can see it's very possible to build a better system than what I had for around $450(MINUS the video card) A used Vega 56 or a 5700 is around $200 used, so I should be able to throw together a system for around $750 EASY. I know that $200 for these cards is very optimistic, but I am confident with enough creeping on forums I will make it happen.

Response to Forum Questions Below:

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$750-800

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

USA

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

Don't care, but video card has to be AMD. I cant afford G-Sync.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

I have 1TB SSD, Case, 550W PSU, and Windows 10

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

I am an overclock fanatic. I love it, and I will OC as much as I can even if it means killing my CPU within couple years. ; )

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
1440p strongly preferred, but if necessary, I'll live with 1920X1080.

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Whenever. Not in any hurry to do this.

Last edited:

NobleX13

Apr 7, 2020
I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but now is probably a pretty bad time to buy. Supply chain issues and a surge in enthusiast demand are impacting pricing in a pretty negative way right now. This is the first time in a long while that I have seen new and used prices go up across the board. As an example, I was buying used 1080 TIs for $365 all day long, and once the COVID-19 pandemic made its way stateside they are now selling for $450 on average.

Couple this with the Zen 3, NVIDIA Ampere, and AMD RDNA 2 launches on the horizon and that makes it an even worse time to buy. Once these new platforms launch retailers will be forced to discount existing hardware to make up for the performance deficit compared to the refreshes, and people will be dumping parts for pennies on the dollar on secondary markets.

The current climate is a great opportunity for retails to sell products to you at MSRP because demand is so high. I have been seeing huge volumes of X570 motherboard backorders on sites like Amazon and B&H Photo. Unless demand tapers off, supply improves, or something gives way here I would not expect too many "great deals" in the next couple of months.

The next generation of products from AMD and NVIDIA are expected to be a real slam dunk in terms of performance, in line with the leap from Maxwell to Pascal, or even Kepler to Maxwell for that matter. I see all these rumors and estimates on performance and I just can't stomach the current product lineup, especially on the NVIDIA side.

Personally, I sold off all of my various rigs and am "slumming it" on a placeholder system myself.

Reactions: ibex333

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but now is probably a pretty bad time to buy. Supply chain issues and a surge in enthusiast demand are impacting pricing in a pretty negative way right now. This is the first time in a long while that I have seen new and used prices go up across the board. As an example, I was buying used 1080 TIs for $365 all day long, and once the COVID-19 pandemic made its way stateside they are now selling for $450 on average.

Couple this with the Zen 3, NVIDIA Ampere, and AMD RDNA 2 launches on the horizon and that makes it an even worse time to buy. Once these new platforms launch retailers will be forced to discount existing hardware to make up for the performance deficit compared to the refreshes, and people will be dumping parts for pennies on the dollar on secondary markets.

The current climate is a great opportunity for retails to sell products to you at MSRP because demand is so high. I have been seeing huge volumes of X570 motherboard backorders on sites like Amazon and B&H Photo. Unless demand tapers off, supply improves, or something gives way here I would not expect too many "great deals" in the next couple of months.

The next generation of products from AMD and NVIDIA are expected to be a real slam dunk in terms of performance, in line with the leap from Maxwell to Pascal, or even Kepler to Maxwell for that matter. I see all these rumors and estimates on performance and I just can't stomach the current product lineup, especially on the NVIDIA side.

Personally, I sold off all of my various rigs and am "slumming it" on a placeholder system myself.

I like the way you think, and I agree with you, but I wonder if I should even bother waiting since many parts can be had used for a steal of a price given how many people are offloading their stuff.