72C Idle PhenomII x6 1100t

Qyratar

May 8, 2013
Hey, was surfing around on the net searching for the idle temp for my X1100 after trying to pump up the fan speed on both my GPU and my CPU as I was trying to fix BSOD's which I had been experiencing. I stumbled upon this(and other) forums which people stated a never above 55C rule. I tried to maximize the fan but it still stays on 72C no matter what I do.

Picture with temps.
http://postimg.org/image/d55cueyxz/

Any and All answers on how to reduce the temp would be very much appreciated as I have no real knowledge of how to control CPU speeds.

Note: Worth mentioning is that I replaced my fan with another because I got really annoyed by the high noise which the stock fan made. I replaced it with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 (http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/3/freezer-13.html)

(I am at the moment measuring the temp in my room, will update later with the temp)

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
It's a bad contact between the base of your heatsink and your CPU. Re-apply the thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink.

Jabrono

Jan 17, 2013
What method did you use when applying the thermal paste? Did you replace the existing cooler with another OEM one?

First thing I\d try is reseating the fan/cooler with a re-application of thermal paste.

Qyratar

May 8, 2013
First I bought the Fan from a local shop, then I had serious problems installing the fan, so in the end I actually bent one pin on the CPU so I decided to go to the shop and make them install it for me. So I did not apply the thermal paste personally and if I am correct the thermal paste was applied on the bottom of the fan when I bought it.
So should I try doing it again and do my best or should I go turn it in again?

EDIT: Thanks for the answers!

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
First I bought the Fan from a local shop, then I had serious problems installing the fan, so in the end I actually bent one pin on the CPU so I decided to go to the shop and make them install it for me. So I did not apply the thermal paste personally and if I am correct the thermal paste was applied on the bottom of the fan when I bought it.
So should I try doing it again and do my best or should I go turn it in again?

EDIT: Thanks for the answers!
Don't do it yourself, send it to the shop where they installed the fan. It's safer way and your CPU temperature problem should be gone. Just tell them your HSF (heatsink fan) needs to be reseated with new thermal paste applied.

Qyratar

May 8, 2013
Ok, hopefully they wont charge as much as last time. Thanks for the answers, I will come back with the results!

Qyratar

May 8, 2013
Yeah, that's what I think they should do but the thing is that I have had the new fan for 1 year now so trying to convince them to fix something from one year ago is a little far-fetched. Sadly enough.

Qyratar

May 8, 2013
Hah, for fun sake i pulled of one side of the computer in order to push on the hetsink and see if the temp would fall, but before that I decided that I would just let it be standing without a side. the idle cpu temp has fallen to 59 C.
Maybe it would be enough if i installed a couple of fans in order to stimulate air flow?

EDIT: The idle temp stayed at 56-67, so I decided to apply a little pressure on the heatsink, it got down to 53C

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
You've been running that thing for a year when it idles at 72? I shudder to imagine how hot it got under load....

Qyratar

May 8, 2013
Probably to the point of blue screen / bsod. As it happened in a few games.
Not anything too bad fortunately as it ran pretty much every game without failure but it just bsod's in certain games (Smite + War Thunder) which aren't games which actually requires much but I can run it flawlessly in Far Cry 3 :/

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
It's a bad contact between the base of your heatsink and your CPU. Re-apply the thermal paste and re-seat the heatsink.

Agreed. 71c for idle is insanse. Redo it like the gurus said.

Take HSf off,, clean cpu and clean block. Then install HSF and make sure its tight tight on each corner and unmovable. Then let us know.

Also use coretemp or realtemp so we know what happens when you go to CPU load. gl

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
You've probably got a lot of dust on the heatsink.

Unplug the PC
Remove the heatsink (HS)
Clean the thermal paste off of the CPU and HS with Alcohol
Blow the HS out with a can of compressed air
Blow out the rest of the case while you're at it
Reapply thermal paste (not too much!)
Reinstall HS making sure it's seated properly
Plug HS fan in
Make sure all fans spin up before closing case

PS, Snipping tool. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

Last edited: