7-Year-Old Migrant Girl Dies Of Dehydration In Border Patrol Custody

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
At no point have I said that.

I agree, but that is irrelevant to the care that the child recieved in custody.

I didn't say that you said it I was asking a question. From your postings it seems that you are implying that they were intentionally negligent in their duties.

From Lanyaps post it sounded like they did all they could with the information and resources they had.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I didn't say that you said it I was asking a question. From your postings it seems that you are implying that they were intentionally negligent in their duties.

Negligent certainly. Wilfully negligent possibly.

From Lanyaps post it sounded like they did all they could with the information and resources they had.

Being woefully unprepared for a situation you are in charge of and have had time to prepare for absolutely doesn't sound like doing all they could with the information and resources they had. Putting an obviously ill child on a bus rather than calling for the emergency services or, more to the point, not having medical aid nearby in these circumstances sounds pretty negligent.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
CBP people are not murderers or monsters, they are men and women with children of their own. I do not believe for an instant that they stood by and watched a child die. The station was closed and had no medical staff present and only 4 officers.

Why do you believe these 4 officers stood by and watched a child die?

Pretty sure that something similar was said about the Nazi guards during their trials at Nuremberg.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why do you believe these 4 officers stood by and watched a child die?

I'm not sure how to read the first quote without you saying that I believed the officers stood there and watched a child die.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001

Why didn't they have more information? Could it be that they don't view their charges as human and therefore simply don't give an f' if they die? Border Patrol is the conservative racist ultra-ego superhero, doing stuff conservatives wish they could do.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Placing jugs of water in the desert is incredibly irresponsible as it encourages migrants to risk a journey made perilous by more than just the risk of dehydration. Water doesn’t protect you from the temperature fluctuations of intense heat to cold once the sun goes down. It is irresponsible to enable or encourage desert crossings. That is murder.

These agents are not murderers. They are criminally negligent if they failed to triage or otherwise deliberately neglected an obvious medical emergency.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Which would all provide a reasonable set of excuses for border control if they weren't interacting with a child known to have crossed a desert and presented as 'not having eaten or drunk in days' (which is CBP's own report, not from "some guy interviewed by press").

It's been many, many years since I attended a first aid course, but one thing I do remember is that you go to the non-responsive ones first. Logically you'd then move on to the most potentially vulnerable ones, a) she's a child and b) she would have been in a heck of a state. No-one competent would let a person who haven't eaten or drunk in days and has just crossed a desert just "sleep it off" without checking on them sufficiently. She should have been right up the list, and that must have been a terribly long list of worse medical emergencies to take 8 hours to get through to only bother seeking competent medical attention, it sounds like they should have called the nearest hospital for backup!

If the facility didn't have either the staff or the equipment to confidently deal with her case, then surely they ought to just refer it straight to the nearest hospital.

Personally I think what the CBP chose to report is rather telling. Hopefully more information will be released, but I rather doubt it.

hospitals cost money. The dead cost nothing,

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Placing jugs of water in the desert is incredibly irresponsible as it encourages migrants to risk a journey made perilous by more than just the risk of dehydration. Water doesn’t protect you from the temperature fluctuations of intense heat to cold once the sun goes down. It is irresponsible to enable or encourage desert crossings. That is murder.

These agents are not murderers. They are criminally negligent if they failed to triage or otherwise deliberately neglected an obvious medical emergency.

if you are in a situation where you are gonna die if you dont cross a desert then what would you do?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Reading the article that @Lanyap posted tells us very little worthy of note. Whether or not she had an underlying infection still does not excuse the 8 hours in their custody without medical attention, nor does the form signed by the father that they're using to cover their asses with. The only "signs of distress" they noted was her vomiting.

The CBP knew that she hadn't eaten or drunk for days and that she had crossed a desert, and that alone should have earned her some qualified medical attention, not some form-filling to absolve the CBP of paying attention to people in their care.

It tells us, among other important factors, that whoever is coordinating these large bus caravans are purposely sending hundreds of migrant families who don’t really know what’s going on other than they want to get to the US to remote CBP stations that are closed with only three agents and no significant medical facilities. The coordinators are purposely overwhelming these small stations.

Reactions: pcgeek11

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It tells us, among other important factors, that whoever is coordinating these large bus caravans are purposely sending hundreds of migrant families who don’t really know what’s going on other than they want to get to the US to remote CBP stations that are closed with only three agents and no significant medical facilities. The coordinators are purposely overwhelming these small stations.

Is it Soros?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Pretty sure that something similar was said about the Nazi guards during their trials at Nuremberg.
And there it is, the inevitable Nazi link. The adult version of the "double dog dare". The WMD of the ignorant, the final solution for those without a clue.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
And there it is, the inevitable Nazi link. The adult version of the "double dog dare". The WMD of the ignorant, the final solution for those without a clue.

Are you implying that the guards at Treblinka DIDN'T have wives and children?

What about the guards at Auschwitz? Think there were any married men, any fathers among them?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
this is pretty much nazi shit. Border crossings are down 40% since before trump started his war against brown people.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Duhvert!

And it says nothing of the sort.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They were in Mexico and were already away from the gangs they were allegedly running from in their home country.
US policy on drug is a large contributor to the problems in countries like Central America.

Republicans are sitting on their hands when it comes to immigration reform. Dems offered Trump a grand bargin in that public meeting so which Trump said he would approve and then he reneged. Instead Trump reverted to demonizing immigrants of color.

We need to enact comprehensive immigration reform that includes guest worker program.

Move towards marijuana legalization

Work with Mexico so both countries are involved in the refugee problem

Work with Central American countries to root out the gang problem.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
if you are in a situation where you are gonna die if you dont cross a desert then what would you do?
Not an entirely accurate question. I recognize there is horrendous gang violence and poverty in some of these origin countries, but Mexico is certainly safer than risking the desert.

Alternatively, I would fight against those who would seek to kill me?

It’s a horrible situation all around, fueled by the incompetence of our government and thirst for exploitable labor.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Republicants will begin to impress me, when they call for Malaria's parents to be deported due to "chain migration".

But then, maybe they aren't brown enough to warrant that.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Not an entirely accurate question. I recognize there is horrendous gang violence and poverty in some of these origin countries, but Mexico is certainly safer than risking the desert.

Alternatively, I would fight against those who would seek to kill me?

It’s a horrible situation all around, fueled by the incompetence of our government and thirst for exploitable labor.

you would fight eh? Big talk.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
you would fight eh? Big talk.
Thats nice when you, your wife, and child all end up in an unmarked grave with their heads cut off.

Fighting the cartels is not an option. Even the nation states are struggling with it!

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Thats nice when you, your wife, and child all end up in an unmarked grave with their heads cut off.

Fighting the cartels is not an option. Even the nation states are struggling with it!
I am well aware of that. I was answering his question in the spirit it was asked.

The cartels are very powerful, but like many things, it was the demand for their products that made them so...no different then how blood diamonds fueled some pretty brutal conflicts in Africa that included child soldiers. Throw in the War on Drugs and Cold War manipulations and here we are.

I doubt the people snorting or shooting are thinking about the refugee crisis they are creating through their selfishness. Perhaps the blood of this little girl is on their hands as well?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Is this the same article, or a separate one? I just found it and skimmed this thread after having read the information.

CBP: Father of Guatemalan girl who died in custody did not report medical issues
  • Part of a 163 person group apprehended at the Antelope Wells port of entry in southern New Mexico
  • Officials said the group was transported in several trips from the border crossing, which was not staffed in the middle of the night
  • The girl's father said there were no medical issues
  • The girl stopped breathing on the hour-and-a-half drive to the Border Patrol station
Sounds like the border patrol found these people in a REMOTE location in the middle of the night, and acted ASAP to transport them to safety. The girl was already dying on the way in from the desert. The only thing that could have sped up the process was if her father was honest with them regarding a medical emergency. To be fair though, perhaps he was not able to understand her condition.

Fact is, the border patrol did everything in their power to save her ASAP. Given the logistics of transporting 163 people from the middle of a desert back to civilization where food / water / medical care are available. The hate and vitriol towards RESCUERS is truly disturbing and you should be ashamed of yourselves. Apologies would be in good order.