7-Year-Old Migrant Girl Dies Of Dehydration In Border Patrol Custody

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That is correct you have heard nothing either way.
I know that they detained a child and that child died after being in their care for 8 hours.

Now its possible that they assessed that she needed aid when they seized her and worked on her for 8 hours but she was too far gone but I'm fairly sure that would have been mentioned.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Well if you're detaining children that have walked across a desert you should be medically assessing them the moment you take them into custody.

And you know they didnt get assessed? you were there? perhaps the symptoms didnt exist at that moment in time? YES tragedies happen every day every second. ARe they always preventable? Nope. So you dont think they save people everyday too? lets see the video!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
And you know they didnt get assessed? you were there? perhaps the symptoms didnt exist at that moment in time? YES tragedies happen every day every second. ARe they always preventable? Nope. So you dont think they save people everyday too? lets see the video!
Well if she wasn't dehydrated when they took her into custody and she died 8 hours later of it that's even more damning on their care. And if they can't diagnose dangerous levels of dehydration in someone they've just pulled from the desert then I'm not sure what to say!

Reactions: DarthKyrie

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I don't know him. I know a poor choice when I see one.

Stay in TJ or go into the desert with no food or water... Which would you choose?
Its interesting how you want to wait for the facts when it comes to actions of the Border Patrol, but have no issue jumping to conclusions when it comes to the father.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Well if she wasn't dehydrated when they took her into custody and she died 8 hours later of it that's even more damning on their care. And if they can't diagnose dangerous levels of dehydration in someone they've just pulled from the desert then I'm not sure what to say!

and if they saved 10 other people you still would not be happy they didnt get to the 11th. Sorry yes there should be unlimited money for unlimited healthcare for everyone in usa illegal and not but where will this money come from? HOW DARE WE detain illegals we should have just let them go since we didnt have 1:1 care for everyone with unlimited resources right? so how many do you have living at your house?

Reactions: wahdangun

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Its interesting how you want to wait for the facts when it comes to actions of the Border Patrol, but have no issue jumping to conclusions when it comes to the father.

yes most likely the father had packed enough supplies for all 163 and the limo driver just forgot to unload it when they got out.. dang. they made the trip with not enough water (impossible to pack enough) no safety of any kind its gambling with someone else's life.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
yes most likely the father had packed enough supplies for all 163 and the limo driver just forgot to unload it when they got out.. dang. they made the trip with no water no safety of any kind its gambling with someone else's life.
Have you ever been in a situation where your life and the life of your family are in imminent danger? If not, you might want to cease judgement.

Reactions: wahdangun

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
and if they saved 10 other people you still would not be happy they didnt get to the 11th. Sorry yes there should be unlimited money for unlimited healthcare for everyone in usa illegal and not but where will this money come from? HOW DARE WE detain illegals we should have just let them go since we didnt have 1:1 care for everyone with unlimited resources right? so how many do you have living at your house?
What? The? Fuck? Are? You? Ranting? About?

I don't go rounding up immigrants and locking them up in my shed so I'm not responsible for looking after them.

IF YOU LOCK UP A CHILD YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT CHILDS WELFARE!

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
This is as bad as the kid in baltimore who got arrested and had his spine severed.

Yes it does not happen often anymore.. thankfully but what happened to just taking them to jail or a detention center in full health and then let the lawyers and judges sort it out?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

I'm not jumping to a conclusion about her father.
He took his daughter through the desert where she went several days without food or water IAW what was stated in the article.

Unless it is shown that he and his daughter were forced into the desert it is obvious he chose to go willingly with his daughter.

Tell me where I am jumping to a conclusion.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

they arent saving anyone. you nazis are killing people and putting them in concentration camps. we see you.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
yes most likely the father had packed enough supplies for all 163 and the limo driver just forgot to unload it when they got out.. dang. they made the trip with not enough water (impossible to pack enough) no safety of any kind its gambling with someone else's life.
What happened before she was taken into custody does not mean that the authorities don't have a duty of care for her after they take her into custody.

CaptainGoodnight

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2000
It's a humanitarian crisis created by destabilizing entire nations in pursuit of drugs, the greed of employers who hire illegal immigrants, and the vicious, violent racism of the Republican Party.

There are 2 evil factions here, the business wings of both parties that enjoy having serfs and the left that wants demographic change so bad they condone trafficking to get it. They sicken me. I'm closer to open borders than protectionism, but they make me rethink that.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
What? The? Fuck? Are? You? Ranting? About?

I don't go rounding up immigrants and locking them up in my shed so I'm not responsible for looking after them.

IF YOU LOCK UP A CHILD YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT CHILDS WELFARE!

AND IF The signs and symptoms are not present at assessment and they become prevalent when a fatal seizure occurs? you just want to blame you dont know anything that happened and like i said how many that got seemingly more urgent care. yOu just like to jump to conclusions and blame. yes we should have unlimited resources to protect and also save everyone in the world! I wonder what you think is more important protect or serve.

If no protection then wont the budget for serving eventually run out?

and if we cant give medical attention to the child should we turn them back into the dessert? If there is no one to drive them 200 miles to the nearest hospital with no family? or do we give everyone that risks childs life a free pass? let them both go back to mexico or usa?

welshbloke for congress what is your solution?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
He took his daughter through the desert where she went several days without food or water IAW what was stated in the article.

Unless it is shown that he and his daughter were forced into the desert it is obvious he chose to go willingly with his daughter.

And after the authorities take a minor into custody they have a duty of care for that minor.

The decisions of the father prior to that dont change that.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
AND IF The signs and symptoms are not present at assessment and they become prevalent when a fatal seizure occurs? you just want to blame you dont know anything that happened and like i said how many that got seemingly more urgent care. yOu just like to jump to conclusions and blame. yes we should have unlimited resources to protect and also save everyone in the world! I wonder what you think is more important protect or serve.

If no protection then wont the budget for serving eventually run out?
If you dont have the resources to care for people that you incarcerate then you shouldn't be incarcerating them.
And that's bullshit anyway. You are the richest country in the history of the planet, you can stop 7 year old children in your care from dying of dehydration. Or you can at least try.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004

Those are the same types of arguments as those given by people blaming border patrol. We know she was dehydrated and died 8 hours after being in their care. We don't know any of the details. In a similar way, we have no idea what the motivation was for the father to cross the desert with the daughter. He might have thought the desert crossing was way shorter. He might have had an immediate threat on his life or that of his daughters. He may have just thought he was in immediate danger. Who knows what his reasoning was? It may have been his best option. And even if it was a mistake, its not like there's a Refugee 101 class these people take. On the other hand, Border Patrol is trained in how to deal with people. However, as you aptly pointed out in the one case, there is a lot of missing information, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions and blame border patrol until we know more.

Reactions: H T C and JSt0rm

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
There are 2 evil factions here, the business wings of both parties that enjoy having serfs and the left that wants demographic change so bad they condone trafficking to get it. They sicken me. I'm closer to open borders than protectionism, but they make me rethink that.

I'm a liberal and the following is the truth.

I've rarely heard immigrants say "It used to be hard to get into this country but now it hard to keep people out". But the same person wanted executions without trials.

I've often heard people say, they are sponsoring their spouse to come here legally but it takes too long. Quite a few of them

I've NEVER heard "We need demographic change or we need open borders". NEVER!

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
And after the authorities take a minor into custody they have a duty of care for that minor.

The decisions of the father prior to that dont change that.

And as I said before: We don't know the details of what happened after they were in custody. I'll wait for the conclusion of the investigation. You can keep on pretending you know what happened, but you don't.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
And as I said before: We don't know the details of what happened after they were in custody. I'll wait for the conclusion of the investigation. You can keep on pretending you know what happened, but you don't.

you certainly dumped your load on the what ifs in this thread. What we know is she was under the supervision of trained pros for 8 hours but they are not set up to handle the amount of people dotard j turnip demands of them.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
We know a child died of dehydration 8 hours after being taken into custody.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
you certainly dumped your load on the what ifs in this thread. What we know is she was under the supervision of trained pros for 8 hours but they are not set up to handle the amount of people dotard j turnip demands of them.

Border patrol agents are now medical doctors?