7-Year-Old Migrant Girl Dies Of Dehydration In Border Patrol Custody

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
To be fair, right now it isn't clear if they didn't provide water or if they just didn't make sure she was consuming it and that she was otherwise healthy. Hopefully, it was a matter incompetence, not cruelty. I am sure she was in pretty bad shape by the time she got to border portal, which they should've recognized.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
To be fair, right now it isn't clear if they didn't provide water or if they just didn't make sure she was consuming it and that she was otherwise healthy. Hopefully, it was a matter incompetence, not cruelty. I am sure she was in pretty bad shape by the time she got to border portal, which they should've recognized.

Let's be fair to the people that are famous for dumping out water bottles left in the desert near the border.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
There is a lot of unknowns and guessing at this time.

From the article:

According to CBP records, the girl and her father were taken into custody about 10 p.m. Dec. 6 south of Lordsburg, N.M., as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in.

More than eight hours later, the child began having seizures at 6:25 a.m., CBP records show. Emergency responders, who arrived soon after, measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees, and according to a statement from CBP, she “reportedly had not eaten or consumed water for several days.”

This didn't just happen after they were in custody. If you want to have someone to blame you should point at her parents.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
yeah blame her parents for making her cross the deserts. once in custody we cant expect them to take her to the hospital. too much money.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and lsd

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe being the world's only superpower more should be expected. Perhaps treating people like human beings.

We knew the child had nothing to eat or drink for 8 hours at a minimum. A single bottle of water may have saved her life.

Republicans used to bend over backwards to take in as many Cubans as they could yet they want to turn all these people away.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
yeah blame her parents for making her cross the deserts. once in custody we cant expect them to take her to the hospital. too much money.

You don't know that they even knew she was sick until she started having seizures 8 hours later. They were taken into custody at 10 PM started with seizures at 06:45 AM and the family were probably sleeping as it was at night.

Who's fault was it that she went days without food or water, In a remote section of desert country. Her father.

Sorry the facts suck for you but they are what they are.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Maybe being the world's only superpower more should be expected. Perhaps treating people like human beings.

We knew the child had nothing to eat or drink for 8 hours at a minimum. A single bottle of water may have saved her life.

Republicans used to bend over backwards to take in as many Cubans as they could yet they want to turn all these people away.

You don't know that she didn't get water or food after she was in custody. After going without for many days some cannot recover even though they are given food and water.

Reactions: IJTSSG

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
exactly what facts are known again?
Didn't you bother to read the article?

She went days without food or water, In a remote section of desert country with Her father.

Taken into custody with 163 others after spending days in the desert without food or water.

Was in custody ~ 8 hours and started having seizures at 6:25 a.m.

Emergency responders, who arrived soon after, measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees.

Reactions: IJTSSG

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Didn't you bother to read the article?

She went days without food or water, In a remote section of desert country with Her father.

Taken into custody with 163 others after spending days in the desert without food or water.

Was in custody ~ 8 hours and started having seizures at 6:25 a.m.

Emergency responders, who arrived soon after, measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees.
If you assume custody of a child and said child dies from dehydration in your care, dude, dude, dude, dude. DUDE.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If you assume custody of a child and said child dies from dehydration in your care, dude, dude, dude, dude. DUDE.

8 hours to spot dehydration... even if the kid wasn't crying out for water (which might well be the case if they're on the verge of collapse, which one might think is something that could easily be spotted), a simple question would suffice:

When did you last eat and drink something?

A pretty fucking basic question to ask someone who comes to you for help after WALKING THROUGH A DESERT.

For extra sad LOLs, it's interesting how quick pcgeek11 is to blame the father yet when talking about border control his song becomes "you're judging without knowing the facts".

Did they even have a qualified first-aider give these people a once-over when they arrived?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dehydration/

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
8 hours to spot dehydration... even if the kid wasn't crying out for water (which might well be the case if they're on the verge of collapse, which one might think is something that could easily be spotted), a simple question would suffice:

When did you last eat and drink something?

A pretty fucking basic question to ask someone who comes to you for help after WALKING THROUGH A DESERT.

For extra sad LOLs, it's interesting how quick pcgeek11 is to blame the father yet when talking about border control his song becomes "you're judging without knowing the facts".

Did they even have a qualified first-aider give these people a once-over when they arrived?
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dehydration/

You wanna bet they checked them for weapons? Humanity is going bye bye.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Who took his daughter into the desert for days without food or water?

Her Father.

But of course it is anybodies fault but his... /s

My god you people are stupid. Would you take your daughter into a desert for days without food or water? I wouldn't.

There are plenty of places to get food and water in Mexico. They should have gone to anywhere, but the desert.

At this point you have no idea what went on between custody and the discovery of her being sick.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Her Father.

My god you people are stupid. Would you take your daughter into a desert for days without food or water? I wouldn't.

At this point you have no idea what went on between custody and the discovery of her being sick.

Neither do you.

As for why a father would bring a child into a desert, I would say based on what we know of Central America...because the desert is better than where they're from. But you knew that I'm sure, just don't care.

Reactions: cytg111

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Her Father.

There are plenty of places to get food and water in Mexico. They should have gone to anywhere, but the desert.

If your choice is to put your child on the train on the way to one of those "camps" or take your chances traveling multiple days across barren land to escape it's the parents fault. I get it.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

Her Father.

Who said that the father carries absolutely no responsibility for her situation? No-one. pcgeek11, we're not horses, so stop trying to give us straw.

Would you care to respond to what I actually wrote, or carry on like a broken record?

Also, if you can make an honest and determined attempt to critically analyse the border patrol's part in this situation, I'll be happy to take you up on what happened before they were involved.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
You don't know that she didn't get water or food after she was in custody. After going without for many days some cannot recover even though they are given food and water.
IIRC, many people also won't drink water given to them once they pass a certain amount of heat exhaustion.

If the border portal refused water then the hammer needs to come down. If they just didn't make sure she was drinking it or just didn't realize how bad she was, that is different. Realistically, you probably had 10 or so agents processing 165 people and they didn't actually check on everyone's health.

Edit, I think CBP takes blame either way. Just one I think should be manslaughter/torture the other is neglectence.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
IIRC, many people also won't drink water given to them once they pass a certain amount of heat exhaustion.

If the border portal refused water then the hammer needs to come down. If they just didn't make sure she was drinking it or just didn't realize how bad she was, that is different. Realistically, you probably had 10 or so agents processing 165 people and they didn't actually check on everyone's health.

Edit, I think CBP takes blame either way. Just one I think should be manslaughter/torture the other is neglectence.

a +1 for the edit. My thoughts too.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
Has there ever been given any reason why this caravan of folks coming from central america traveled all the way to Tijuana ? It would seem that they could save great time/distance if they would headed for Brownsville TX.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
My father was always paranoid about heat exhaustion and avoiding it under the knowledge that, past a certain point, a person cannot be saved from it. 8 hours though? That doesn't sound right for that. Unless little to none of that time was spent in an ACed environment.

Thinking of the sheer number of people, transport was probably limited. I can picture them being detained outside on the ground for hours for processing. A review to understand exactly how / why is fair, but the father is ultimately responsible for killing his kid. If the review finds that we could have acted sooner, and maybe saved her life with different policy - then that's fine. We can try and change things up to stop a "next time".

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
My father was always paranoid about heat exhaustion and avoiding it under the knowledge that, past a certain point, a person cannot be saved from it. 8 hours though? That doesn't sound right for that. Unless little to none of that time was spent in an ACed environment.

Thinking of the sheer number of people, transport was probably limited. I can picture them being detained outside on the ground for hours for processing. A review to understand exactly how / why is fair, but the father is ultimately responsible for killing his kid. If the review finds that we could have acted sooner, and maybe saved her life with different policy - then that's fine. We can try and change things up to stop a "next time".

Her body temperature was 105.7 degrees, either they were keeping them in an environment that was way too hot, or she was seriously ill. Either way someone should have been watching her more closely and intervened before she became critical. Sure her father should not have taken her across a desert without food or water, but he did get her to somewhere with food and water before it became critical, then we prevented him from getting aid for her. That is on us.