7-30-07 Tom Snyder of `Tomorrow Show' dies at 71

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Today was not a good day for guys in their 70's.

Bill Walsh 75 and Tom Synder 71 both from Lukemia

also Ingmar Bergman and Marvin Zindler

rose.gif
rose.gif
rose.gif
rose.gif

:(

New Yorkers watching ABC back in the 80's would remember Tom and of course 49er football.

7-30-2007 Tom Snyder of `Tomorrow Show' dies at 71

Tom Snyder, whose smoke-filled interviews were a staple of late-night television, has died after a struggle with leukemia. He was 71.

Horowicz met Snyder in 1982 and worked with him at WABC in New York before producing the "Tom Snyder" television show.

Snyder died Sunday in San Francisco from complications associated with leukemia, his longtime producer and friend Mike Horowicz told The Associated Press on Monday.

Known for his improvised, casual style and robust laughter, Snyder conducted a number of memorable interviews as host of NBC's "The Tomorrow Show." Among his guests were John Lennon, Charles Manson and Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols.

Snyder began his career as a radio reporter in Milwaukee in the 1960s, then moved into local television news. He anchored newscasts in Philadelphia and Los Angeles before moving to late night.

"He loved the broadcast business," said Marciarose Shestack, who co-anchored a noontime newscast with Snyder at KYW-TV in Philadelphia in the 1960s. "He was very surprising and very irreverent and not at all a typical newscaster."

In 1972, Snyder left news to host "The Tomorrow Show," which followed "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson.

His catch phrase for the show was: "Fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air." Snyder smoked throughout his show, the cigarette cloud swirling around him during interviews.

He gained more fame when Dan Aykroyd lampooned him in the early days of "Saturday Night Live."

In 1995, he returned to late-night television as the host of "The Late Late Show with Tom Snyder" on CBS. The program followed David Letterman's "Late Show" until 1998, when Snyder was replaced by Craig Kilborn.

Snyder announced on his Web site in 2005 that he had chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

"When I was a kid leukemia was a death sentence," he wrote then. "Now, my doctors say it's treatable!"

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
ingmar bergman and marvin zindler also died in the last 24 hours. that makes 4.

rose.gif

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
SI: Walsh dead at 75, NFL coaching legend dies after battle with leukemia

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c....ap/index.html?cnn=yes

My family has had 49ers season tickets since 1946, starting with my grandfather. I was old enough to go to games beginning in 1974. I went to all but one home game from 1977 through 1986 (when I left for college).

This is the first time in a long time that I had an emotional and verbal response to the death of someone I never met.

It is obvious to say that he meant a lot to 49ers fans, everywhere. He did not find the cure for the common cold, but he did bring a lot of joy to those of us who were lucky enough to experience 49ers football starting from 1979.

It will be a little weird to know he is no longer around.

Rest in peace.

MotionMan

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: MotionMan
SI: Walsh dead at 75, NFL coaching legend dies after battle with leukemia

RIP Bill...popularized one of the best football offenses.. the West Coast Offense.

Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense differed from traditional offense by emphasizing a short, horizontal passing attack to help stretch the defense out. The West Coast Offense as implemented under Walsh features precisely-run pass patterns by the receivers that make up about 65% to 80% of the offensive scheme. With the defense stretched out, the offense is then free to focus the remaining plays on longer throws and mid to long yard rushes

:beer:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
ingmar bergman and marvin zindler also died in the last 24 hours. that makes 4.

rose.gif

So who hit their dead pool superfecta?

:( I kinda miss watching Marvin Zindler.

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Marvin Zindler was one of my heroes when I was growing up in Houston. He had graduated from the same middle school I went to and he came back one day to speak about living a good life. Very influential soul. He will be missed.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: pradeep1
Marvin Zindler was one of my heroes when I was growing up in Houston. He had graduated from the same middle school I went to and he came back one day to speak about living a good life. Very influential soul. He will be missed.

i went to elementary school with one of his granddaughters. he came over several times to give speeches.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Tom Snyder: the man who's face signaled it was time to go to bed.

Honestly...I would hear him come on after Letterman, and would say "welp- that's that." He always talked in such an odd 1940's gangster type of way. He reminded me of Willard Scott---always bringing up anecdotes and stories that had no relation in this day and age.

Interesting fellow, but not interesting enough to stay awake for :)

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Tom Snyder, rip. I remember him after Carson, back in the day when TV ended at with a signing off for day - and there was nothing else on until 5 or 6 later in the morning. Tom was a man ahead of the times...

Bill Walsh, Ingmar Bergman and Marvin Zindler - you also have my thanks for what you had given in life - may all of you rest in peace...

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: UberNeuman
Tom Snyder, rip. I remember him after Carson, back in the day when TV ended at with a signing off for day - and there was nothing else on until 5 or 6 later in the morning. Tom was a man ahead of the times...

Bill Walsh, Ingmar Bergman and Marvin Zindler - you also have my thanks for what you had given in life - may all of you rest in peace...

Include Baseballer Bill Robinson in that list.

Let us raise one last colortini to Tom Synder for the hours of listing enjoyment on radio and TV.