7/13 Twitter rage *mildly disappointing*

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nope, a free press is part of out 1st Amendment, but that doesn't place them above the law or above criticism either.
But if Obama did it, you'd freak out about his attacks on the 1a. But when Trump does it, suddenly the President is somehow protected by the 1a, and anyone who criticizes Trump for attacking freedom of the press is, according to you, attacking the President's right to free speech. Meanwhile, it's ok, according to you, for Trump to attack the 1a, because Obama did it too, although it was wrong when Obama did it.
Do you not see your own contradictions? Or are you just blind to how your rabid partisanship erodes our freedoms?

Jul 9, 2009
But if Obama did it, you'd freak out about his attacks on the 1a. But when Trump does it, suddenly the President is somehow protected by the 1a, and anyone who criticizes Trump for attacking freedom of the press is, according to you, attacking the President's right to free speech. Meanwhile, it's ok, according to you, for Trump to attack the 1a, because Obama did it too, although it was wrong when Obama did it.
Do you not see your own contradictions? Or are you just blind to how your rabid partisanship erodes our freedoms?
Did you see me complaining when Obama did it? You were fine when Obama did it, but now you're all pissy over Trump.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Wait...so youre denying a POTUS other than Trump has criticized coverage of his administration? Really?
So, you're putting words in my mouth & obfuscating. No other president in my lifetime has declared the free press to be the enemy of the people. That's much more adversarial than anything any of them ever did.

Bothsiderism doesn't apply.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So, you're putting words in my mouth & obfuscating. No other president in my lifetime has declared the free press to be the enemy of the people. That's much more adversarial than anything any of them ever did.

Bothsiderism doesn't apply.

I agree not to the extent Trump has.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Did you see me complaining when Obama did it? You were fine when Obama did it, but now you're all pissy over Trump.
I was 'fine' because the incident isn't comparable. Obama just criticized Fox for their bias. He never said that the free press is the enemy of the people, like Trump has. And if all that Trump did was criticize CNN, NYT, or WaPo for their bias, I'd be fine with that too.
Your problem, Taj, is that Trump really could shoot someone in the street, and your only concern would be how to make up some lie claiming that Obama or Hillary did it first.

Jul 9, 2009
I was 'fine' because the incident isn't comparable. Obama just criticized Fox for their bias. He never said that the free press is the enemy of the people, like Trump has. And if all that Trump did was criticize CNN, NYT, or WaPo for their bias, I'd be fine with that too.
Your problem, Taj, is that Trump really could shoot someone in the street, and your only concern would be how to make up some lie claiming that Obama or Hillary did it first.
Your problem is that you're just as big a partisan asshole as I am, but you won't admit it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Your problem is that you're just as big a partisan asshole as I am, but you won't admit it.
Nope. I criticize Democrats all the time. I criticized Obama all the time. It's just hard for any legitimate criticism to be heard over the shrill cries of Birtherism and Benghazi and whatever other conspiracy theories that Trump and his supporters make up in order to drown out any rational political discussion in this country.