6870 crossfire with PCI-E X4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Skurge, once you have both cards installed could you go into GPU-Z and tell me what speed your second PCI-e slot is running? I know it's an odd request, but my 4x slot was indicated as PCI-E generation 1 and I want to know if GPU-Z is accurate.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I got everything set up and GPU-Z shows the 2nd card as PCI-E 2.0 4X.

But now after a few mins of load it sounds like the top card shuts down and the display goes black. I set the Fans to 100% and the top card doesn't exceed 60 degrees. I know both cards work individually and the PSU can support both cards and isn't faulty cause I tried it with Dual 5870s at work and I tried another PSU with my cards and I have the same issue.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
Have you tried switching the cards?

Yep, I tried them on a different board as well. Seems like I'm not the only one with the issue. There are a few people who have that issue, but it seems like it only happens with the gigabyte cards.

For the short time they did work, I was getting great performance, didn't notice any microstutter.

I tried a bios update for the cards, but they had the newest bios on them, I tried flashing them with ASUS bios and I still have the issue. I have no idea what to try now.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I won't be able to put any benchmarks now. Looks like I'm going to trade in the cards for a 7950 at the end of the month. I can't figure out whats wrong.

I was able to complete one bench though. Scaling was really good.
2ce4rdk.jpg

It shows no multiGPU, I disabled it so I could play some games after the bench.

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Bummer, at least you'll get a 7950 which looks to be a very good card that won't suffer from VRAM limitations.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Thanks for this thread. I have an x16/x4 board and an HD6870... was wondering what Crossfire would be like somewhere down the line and this has been very useful.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
cheers for that skurge,although not my cup of tea i still like reading about it.:thumbsup:

FlanK3r

Sep 15, 2009
Nice one! Im looking forward at Crossfirewith PCIe x4 speed. How will be limited or not.