6850 Not Working

JoJoBoy

Nov 5, 2009
I just received my Gigabyte 6850 today and installed it in my system. It worked ok when I installed it but after I restart my system the video won't work. If I reinstall the video card it works but only for the that first system start. This system works perfectly fine when I switch back to my 4670. Im not sure what is wrong, my psu seems to be fine but this card uses more juice. Any suggestions? Thanks

komatta

Oct 22, 2010
did you uninstall the old drivers and sweep them before installing the new ones/card? try that

JoJoBoy

Nov 5, 2009
did you uninstall the old drivers and sweep them before installing the new ones/card? try that
Yes I did. I tried the new 10.12 drivers first then the 10.10 which came with the card. I don't even get video in the startup/bios stages.

JoJoBoy

Nov 5, 2009
At my wit's end. I sent the card back hoping it was just a bad card. Im still experiencing the same problems as before with the replacement card. Today I reformatted my drive and update the Bios each with no success at all. Currently Im using the IGP and have the 6850 installed, the computer doesn't recognize there is any extra graphics card installed but is has not troubles at all when my old 4670 is installed instead. Does anyone have any ideas left to try? Thanks

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Did you connect the 6-pin power cable to the video card? What is the wattage of the PSU, and what is the 12V rating in amps?

Drivers are not used in the POST or BIOS screens so if you are not getting video even before Windows starts then something is messed up.

Shinjo

Aug 26, 2010
I do think that it's a problem with your PSU, try to borrow a PSU and replace it to test if it's the main problem.
Coz' changing a card still encounter the same problem, it's obviously something is wrong with your hardware.

JoJoBoy

Nov 5, 2009
I did connect the 6-pin power cable....also tried it unplugged with no luck each time. I have a Corsair 650TX PSU with 52A on the 12V rail. I don't have a spare PSU to try, is there some way I can test this without getting a different unit?

JoJoBoy

Nov 5, 2009
Well it looks like you guys were right. My Corsair power supply is being shipped back first thing monday morning. I got an Antec Basiq 500W psu at the store thursday which solved my problems allowing me to play with my new card :D .

The bad news is the cheap Antec Basiq only managed to last 3 days of use. It had plenty of cooling (bottom mounted psu in this case) and crashed after I had been playing SC2 for 2 hours. The specs seemed fine for the short while I was going to use this psu ( 3.3v 30A, 5.0v 30A, 12.0v 18+18A). I'd suggest to steer very clear of the Basiq line of psu, also the cables were few and short making it difficult to route well.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
That's strange the Corsair couldn't handle it. The 6850 needs like twice the power as the 4670, but we're talking about 4A to 8-9A on the +12V rail. Out of 52A that shouldn't make any difference.

If you're overclocked on your processor I suggest dialing it down.