6800K Cinebench single core score seems oddly high I think

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Is this high? I decided to settle on 4.3ghz. Check out the scores. They seem good enough to actually make me respect my rig a little. Is that single core score normal for this chip at 4.3? Seems oddly high by at least a few points.
If the Skylake-X chips tend to settle under 200 for single core scores then I may not buy one of those as intended. With single core speed like this I'll need to be north of 200 to make it worthwhile.

6bor9Xf.jpg

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Seems a bit high to me, but nothing too high.

My 5820k gets ~170-175 single core at 4.5GHz.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I was just running some tests on my 5960x - I have the cache clocked pretty high at 4.375 and my memory tweaked just right resulting in being a few % faster per clock than other Haswell-E chips.

r15-3.png

I get 186 single core and 1858 multicore at 4.5 GHz, which compared to your score puts me at only 3.4% IPC below single core and equivalent in multicore IPC.

Your single core score seems maybe a tiny bit higher than expected, but your multicore seems lower than expected. The scaling for BW-E from single to multicore should be similar to HW-E. I would expect your multicore to be ~7.5x singlecore, not 7.24x.

Last edited:
Reactions: moonbogg

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Apparently this test is very sensitive to uncore frequency. XabanakFanatik, how much voltage are you giving the cache to get it to run that high? :eek:

This is mine at 4.3ghz and the uncore at 3.1ghz. That said, I'm not overly impressed by Cinebench as a benchmark. Doesn't use modern instructions like FMA and AVX2.

9wOZ7p.png

Reactions: moonbogg

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Apparently this test is very sensitive to uncore frequency. XabanakFanatik, how much voltage are you giving the cache to get it to run that high? :eek:

This is mine at 4.3ghz and the uncore at 3.1ghz. That said, I'm not overly impressed by Cinebench as a benchmark. Doesn't use modern instructions like FMA and AVX2.

9wOZ7p.png

I've got core at 1.343, cache at 1.331, and system agent at 1.225 to make it all stable. I think it's the Asus OC socket with extra pins for uncore power delivery that's supposed to help make it possible to clock it so high.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
I've got core at 1.343, cache at 1.331, and system agent at 1.225 to make it all stable. I think it's the Asus OC socket with extra pins for uncore power delivery that's supposed to help make it possible to clock it so high.

Wow that's a lot. I guess you are using water cooling though. I never really bother with overclocking the cache that much, as it has very little effect on real world performance.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Wow that's a lot. I guess you are using water cooling though. I never really bother with overclocking the cache that much, as it has very little effect on real world performance.

Well, I have an H110 on it with some Noctua iPPC fans and it keeps it under control (~80-82C max during the 8 hour stress test I run), but I'd like to build a custom loop for it someday soon. I actually just bought the Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan overclocking warranty for $35 when I bought the CPU, so I figured "hell, why not run it at the maximum voltage I can keep at reasonable temperatures?" I have until Nov 2018 to kill it and get it replaced.

If/when I have a custom loop, I'd probably have it running at 4.625/4.75 and cache at 4.5

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Well, we can definitely say you're hardcore if anything :D:cool: It's more likely you will degrade it, but not kill it.

The last time I overclocked my CPU balls to the wall was when I had my 3930K. I ended up degrading it slightly, so basically what I do now is find the sweet spot and just go with it. For my CPU, the sweet spot is 4.3ghz. To get to 4.4ghz requires a lot more voltage for very little performance gain, so it's not worth it to me.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Well, we can definitely say you're hardcore if anything :D:cool: It's more likely you will degrade it, but not kill it.

The last time I overclocked my CPU balls to the wall was when I had my 3930K. I ended up degrading it slightly, so basically what I do now is find the sweet spot and just go with it. For my CPU, the sweet spot is 4.3ghz. To get to 4.4ghz requires a lot more voltage for very little performance gain, so it's not worth it to me.

If it makes it to the end of 2018 and I haven't killed it, I might have to try harder with some more extreme overclocking attempts. Might as well do what the warranty I bought allows for, right?

I haven't noticed any degredation of the chip yet, and I run it at max clock/voltage all the time. I have speedstep disabled and have voltages on fully manual.

Either way, I'm pretty happy that I might have one of the highest performing 5960x's. Almost Broadwell IPC is pleasing.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
If it makes it to the end of 2018 and I haven't killed it, I might have to try harder with some more extreme overclocking attempts. Might as well do what the warranty I bought allows for, right?

Haha, you're probably the only guy on this forum that is intentionally trying to kill his CPU :D

Either way, I'm pretty happy that I might have one of the highest performing 5960x's. Almost Broadwell IPC is pleasing.

Yeah, I don't think anyone will disagree that your 5960x is balls to the wall fast. Just remind me to never let you use my computer :)

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Haha, you're probably the only guy on this forum that is intentionally trying to kill his CPU :D

Yeah, I don't think anyone will disagree that your 5960x is balls to the wall fast. Just remind me to never let you use my computer :)

I wouldn't say intentionally, but I'm definitely going to be trying some stuff I wouldn't do without the comfort of that overclocking warranty. I just can't yet since I use the 5960x system for work daily.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Nice. I haven't touched my cache at all and probably won't.

Sure, and from my experience with BW-E, its just not stable at higher cache speeds nor does it seem to benefit much.

I would look into why you arent getting the multicore scaling you should, though. I would expect you to get 1350-1380, but maybe its just low due to some background tasks or something.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think that single core speed is more like 177 in reality. There's a "trick" I figured out where I run the test and then restart the PC and run it a few more times and the score climbs for some reason. I turned off most of the background stuff so this is a best case scenario. So the 184 is the max. Its just not perfectly consistent and running it a few times will land a higher score for some reason. Not actually a trick but just the best of several tries. Kind of odd though and 184 looks pretty good so I saved it, lol.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I think that single core speed is more like 177 in reality. There's a "trick" I figured out where I run the test and then restart the PC and run it a few more times and the score climbs for some reason. I turned off most of the background stuff so this is a best case scenario. So the 184 is the max. Its just not perfectly consistent and running it a few times will land a higher score for some reason. Not actually a trick but just the best of several tries. Kind of odd though and 184 looks pretty good so I saved it, lol.

I think it's something to do with Cinebench R15 itself - I can run R11.5 back to back repeatedly and always get the exact (or extremely close) same score where R15 can vary wildly.

Last edited: