6800 go heatsink reseat

crydee

Jun 2, 2006
I'm no noob to building computers so I offered to help my friend figure out why his 6800 go in his alienware laptop was always overheating. I knew that OEMs use those big thick thermal pads that were bad so I brought over my AS5 and we set to work removing those things they had about 5-6 on each little black thing on the video card. Then about 4-5 more on some black things under the card that touched a metal plate behind the keyboard. I think they might of used actual paste on the real GPU. It even looked like they left the wrapper around the thermal pads on some of them because I peeled off a paper like thing and it was still sticky underneath.. There were so many I was confused as to what they were doing. Anyway So I put a small dab of paste in each spot they had a pad and we put it back together. Temps are not that better.. still crashed 30 mins into game play. The card in question looks like this "http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njg0" I might take a picture of how their thing works I guess.

There is the traditional heatsink and the fan blowing out toward the side of the case. Behind the card is an alumnium plate that has a grove for the black "boxes" on the card that touch some other heat transfer plate on the back of the laptop I guess for heat dissipation on the top and bottom of the card.

Was I right to put paste each little black "box" where they had thermal pads?