680 and Torx T6 screws!

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I want to water cool my shiny new GTX 680s. I have confirmed they work and now its time to break them down, fit better cooling and hope that I didn't destroy a very expensive GPU.

Interestingly they use Torx screws that are smaller than any tool I had. So I took a trip to B and Q yesterday but they didn't have any drivers for T6, nothing smaller than T10. I went to Maplins this afternoon, found a few options and walked out having picked up a £3 multi Torx adapter (T6 through T15). They had a more flexible option but some hooligan had stolen the T6 head in the packet, so I ended up with a cheap and nasty one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/8-piece-folding-aluminium-star-key-set-534401

Problem is the screws on the 680 are pretty tight, the ones furthest from the DVI port end are tighter than the driver can cope with. I make sure its in flat, turn and it strips the drivers head apart leaving nothing but a circle. I have sanded it back flat twice now with a dremal and I am still only 8 screws in, I first started getting problems after just loosening 6 screws.

Is this normal or just a symptom of a really cheap driver and I get what I pay for? Anyone know if the Rolson (http://www.maplin.co.uk/8-in-1-precision-torx-screwdriver-99691) is of sufficient quality or can recommend a stockist in the UK where I can get one that is actually up to doing what is quite clearly a tough job?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Nvidia uses soft screws for whatever reason, I had to drill a few of my 470s because I striped out the heads.

Basically you can get a bit that is slightly smaller than the hole and carefully drill the center of it, they're soft so it's not hard to do. After a few seconds you'll be far enough in that you can actually remove the remaining head without risking getting close to the pcb. Careful though as I've seen people ruin cards using safer methods.

RPB

Oct 16, 1999
Wow Ive never seen aluminum torx drivers. You need one made from steel. in the us any store that sells tools would have what you need. sorry i couldn't be of more help.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Its the screw driver I am stripping not the screws! But good to know that the screws might also be a problem.

chrome vanadium steel is meant to be pretty tough stuff so its pretty bad its getting stripped. I have found a titanium precision bits supplier that provides parts for industrial use, that seems to fit my generic screw driver so I will try one of those. If that doesn't work then nothing but drilling them out is going to work.

My kingdom for a screwdriver! There was I thinking that the cards and the waterblocks were expensive, who knew getting a screwdriver would be so hard and expensive!

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Titanium Nitride coated S2 steel screw head, designed for industrial use on its way. Its made by a German company that makes tools for aerospace. That'll be hard enough.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Be careful taking out the screws and use good downward pressure and make sure the screws are spinning.

I had a couple near strips on both my cards removing the torx screws.