65 fans on a Megahalems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xenofin

Oct 28, 2005
Amazing work! Lots of valuable info, thank you.

I have NH-D14 installed in Corsair Obsidian 700D with original Noctua fans AND 3x Scythe GTs (1450rpm) as case fans (top). It seems that I could get a quieter system and still maintain same cooling efficiency by replacing Noctua fans with my GTs. I have also couple Noctua NF-P12 fans in reserve which I could use as top case fans.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
That's a good idea. I'm testing my own D14 right now. I've tested it with a Kaze Maru 2 1700 rpm in the middle and GT's push and pull. I've tested it with the P14 in the middle. I haven't tested the P14 in the middle with GT's push and pull. Thanks for the great idea.

BTW - using the GT-1450 as push with p14 in the middle and p12 as pull gets me 0.5 - 1c better temps than p12-p14-p12, with identical SPL rating. Using the GT-1850 as push with p14 in the middle and p12 as pull gets me 2.5 - 3c better temps than p12-p14-p12, with 2 dBA louder SPL rating.The GT-1850 p/p ought to be very interesting.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
I suspect these results would apply to a TRUE, a VX, an Armageddon, and similar heatsinks.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Oh, for a second there I thought this was the fattest push/pull system ever.

Looks like you only tested them one-at-a-time. Still...interesting data, some pretty graphs and a lot of work. Thanks!

Haha, thats what I thought.

Perturabo

Jan 2, 2011
That's some science, right there.

The Yate Loon D12SH-12 you recommend are not PWM, right? Does that mean they'll be running full bore all the time? I don't have any external fan controller or otherwise.

How does PWM work with dual fans in push-pull anyway, don't most motherboards only have one 4-pin connector for the CPU?

Sorry for noob questions, considering getting a Megahalems for my SandyBridge build. Thanks for the work you've done.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
That's some science, right there.

The Yate Loon D12SH-12 you recommend are not PWM, right? Does that mean they'll be running full bore all the time? I don't have any external fan controller or otherwise.

How does PWM work with dual fans in push-pull anyway, don't most motherboards only have one 4-pin connector for the CPU?

Sorry for noob questions, considering getting a Megahalems for my SandyBridge build. Thanks for the work you've done.

The Gigabyte boards I have seen support both PWM and Voltage control of fans via the cpu header. Either that, or buy one of these - fan controller that accepts PWM signals and controls fans via Voltage.

As for controlling more than one fan with a single header, use one of these - 4-pin Y-cables, able to fit PWM or Voltage controlled fans. Just be sure to nip one of the yellow wires so that only one fan reports rpm to the fan header. I've had four controlled that way. You could have twelve Gentle Typhoons on a single Gigabyte header - they're limited to 1 Amp.

But rather than get a Megahalems I'd recommend a Super Mega. It has the low-profile tensioning screws that allow you to mount 140mm fans. Can't do that with a mere Megahalems. Then you can mount two Thermalright TY-140's. They are the PWM-controlled 140mm fans that come with the Silver Arrow and Archon. Great fans, and quiet.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Either that, or buy one of these - fan controller that accepts PWM signals and controls fans via Voltage.

Wow...when did this come out? I won't say this is exactly what I've always wanted in a fan controller...but it pretty much is.

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Wow...when did this come out? I won't say this is exactly what I've always wanted in a fan controller...but it pretty much is.

Not sure it's quite out yet. Have to do a search on it. I just bookmarked it when I discovered my expensive As.s board wouldn't do what my budget Gigabyte board could do.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Holy crap.
Things single people do in their spare time crack me up but damn.. this is useful info.
thanks OP

ehume

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2009
Holy crap.
Things single people do in their spare time crack me up but damn.. this is useful info.
thanks OP

Married, with kids.

I did a similar thing at OCN, in seven chapters, about various fan combinations on the NH-D14 here. I revisited the Megahalems with new fans here, on Vortez.net.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I would have moved this to cases and cooling, but everyone likes it so much....

jji7skyline

Mar 2, 2015
tbgforums.com
I have acquired a Megahalems and I'm loving it so far. This heatsink seems to respond really well to higher RPM fans due to its relatively dense fin structure. Prolimatech actually recommends running these heatsinks with an 1800rpm fan, but I personally run with two 1200rpm fans running in push-pull for maximum silence while maintaining good cooling performance.

How would you say that this heatsink compares to the Noctua D14?