Info 64MB V-Cache on 5XXX Zen3 Average +15% in Games

Page 136 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Well we know now how they will bridge the long wait to Zen4 on AM5 Q4 2022.
Production start for V-cache is end this year so too early for Zen4 so this is certainly coming to AM4.
+15% Lisa said is "like an entire architectural generation"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
So in regards to the lower power overhead available in AMD chips, would having more overhead available really help without enlarging core size?

I would assume AMD weighed the cost-benefit to expand the performance envelope.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Are there situations in gaming where a 12700k, even with DDR4, will be better than a 5800X3D? I'm still not sure if X-Plane 11 will run better on an i7-12700k than a 5800X3D. I do know that the 5800X3D is the best CPU for FS2020 right now but for X-Plane 11 I'm not sure.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Are there situations in gaming where a 12700k, even with DDR4, will be better than a 5800X3D? I'm still not sure if X-Plane 11 will run better on an i7-12700k than a 5800X3D. I do know that the 5800X3D is the best CPU for FS2020 right now but for X-Plane 11 I'm not sure.

This guy has some results. Don't take it as a thorough benchmark though.

edit: haha you're already posting in that thread.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011

This guy has some results. Don't take it as a thorough benchmark though.

edit: haha you're already posting in that thread.

Yes, I posted in that thread. I still don't know if X-Plane 11 prefers the higher raw CPU performance of the 12700k or the bigger L3 cache of the 5800X3D even with lower raw CPU performance than the 12700k. Also if I do upgrade to a 12700k, I will disable the e-cores in the BIOS, as I don't really need increased productivity performance and read that some games actually run slower if the e-cores are not disabled and if I did need better productivity performance primarily and some gaming secondary I would be upgrading to a 5950X instead, but my PC is primarily for gaming, productivity is secondary for me.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Yes, I posted in that thread. I still don't know if X-Plane 11 prefers the higher raw CPU performance of the 12700k or the bigger L3 cache of the 5800X3D even with lower raw CPU performance than the 12700k.

Restrict to X-plane in the benchmark list to see the comparison.

1653907352441.png

12700K is slower than the 5800X3D here and 12900K gives you an additional amazing 1 fps improvement.

1653907474521.png

Medium settings prefer the 12700K.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Unless people really have need for >8 cores in laptops and desktops, it seems AMD would best focus on making the best performance/thermal (at a reasonable unit cost) balanced consumer product for laptop manufacturers. These same performance points will always be good for general computing at the desktop level. AMD hit a good balance in the 8-core 5800X3D, but honestly this is not going to be THE mainstream market where large profits are found. Glad to see it, but they won't keep releasing new X3D parts simply because it is a niche product.

Servers and workstations honestly are a niche that will wax and wane. Hit them hard when the margins are there. Be able to scale back without betting the farm when the sales are not there. Too many companies have been gutted in the past by over-indulging while chasing this market share.

I'd like to see AMD focus on hotrodding cores 0-3 in the future 5800X3D successor rather than losing focus on all their niches. Fewer complex cores with larger proportionate space filled with (simpler to manufacture) cache to keep thermals down. If they can bring to market a single-core performance crown in the sub-$300 range it absolutely cuts Intel off at the knees. Most consumers just do not need 8 core performance, but if they do AMD has an excellent desktop product for that.

jamescox

Nov 11, 2009
Unless people really have need for >8 cores in laptops and desktops, it seems AMD would best focus on making the best performance/thermal (at a reasonable unit cost) balanced consumer product for laptop manufacturers. These same performance points will always be good for general computing at the desktop level. AMD hit a good balance in the 8-core 5800X3D, but honestly this is not going to be THE mainstream market where large profits are found. Glad to see it, but they won't keep releasing new X3D parts simply because it is a niche product.

Servers and workstations honestly are a niche that will wax and wane. Hit them hard when the margins are there. Be able to scale back without betting the farm when the sales are not there. Too many companies have been gutted in the past by over-indulging while chasing this market share.

I'd like to see AMD focus on hotrodding cores 0-3 in the future 5800X3D successor rather than losing focus on all their niches. Fewer complex cores with larger proportionate space filled with (simpler to manufacture) cache to keep thermals down. If they can bring to market a single-core performance crown in the sub-$300 range it absolutely cuts Intel off at the knees. Most consumers just do not need 8 core performance, but if they do AMD has an excellent desktop product for that.
The only issue with the 5800X3D is the slight clock limitations with the extra cache. I don’t know if they will change that for an eventual Zen 4 version, if it exists at all. They could go a different route, like putting the cache in a base die and stacking compute or gpu chiplets on top.

Zen 4 will likely already beat the 5800X3D by a good margin; games are likely to really like the doubled L2 and the much higher clock speed. The v-cache parts were likely designed almost entirely for Milan-X where the cache would not be a clock speed limiter. Zen 4 clocks significantly higher, so they may change this for Zen 4, but it is likely still probably meant for server. I don’t know if we will see a desktop version. It may be less helpful with the increased L2 already on Zen 4. Eight core will be mainstream gaming, especially with consoles going 8 core. I would not recommend a gamer get less than 8 cores unless they are really on a budget, and even then, I would say get a 6 core, if they can. More powerful GPUs need more powerful CPUs to keep up.

jamescox

Nov 11, 2009
Yes, I posted in that thread. I still don't know if X-Plane 11 prefers the higher raw CPU performance of the 12700k or the bigger L3 cache of the 5800X3D even with lower raw CPU performance than the 12700k. Also if I do upgrade to a 12700k, I will disable the e-cores in the BIOS, as I don't really need increased productivity performance and read that some games actually run slower if the e-cores are not disabled and if I did need better productivity performance primarily and some gaming secondary I would be upgrading to a 5950X instead, but my PC is primarily for gaming, productivity is secondary for me.
Is this really a choice for you? Are you building a completely new system? If you already have an AM4 system, then why wouldn’t you just get a 5800X3D and put it in? If you go Intel with DDR4, then you would be bottlenecking it a bit, so it seems like you would want at least new motherboard and memory for the intel route, in addition to the cpu.

I don’t know if I would buy a new DDR4 system right now, so unless you really need more performance right now, it seems like it is upgrade an existing AM4 system with the 5800X3D, if you have an AM4 system, or buy a new motherboard, memory, and CPU to switch to Intel. I would wait to see how Zen 4 compares to whatever Intel manages to rush out the door before Zen 4 releases for a new system.

Reactions: lightmanek

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
There really isn't a clear winner since both have a few games where they just crush the other. The average is close enough that it may as well be margin of error.

However, at this point in time the AMD CPU and DDR4 memory are considerably cheaper. Even if you do play one of the titles where Intel does win by double digits, is it worth the $400+ it will cost for that?

If you already have an AM4 board there's good odds the 5800X3D is supported. HUB did some testing for Zen 3 on old X370 boards and found that there's maybe a 1% performance loss on average over the newest boards.

Unless you're a competitive CS player, it's hard to justify the extra cost for Intel. You'd be better off just getting something like a 12400 which will get you most of the performance at a much lower price and event upgrading to a 13000-series CPU.

AMD already bumped prices with Zen 3, to some degree because they could, but their costs aren't going down with Zen 4. The chiplets aren't any really smaller even with the move to 5nm and the IO die is using a much more expensive process now as well. Maybe AMD uses the Zen 3 cost jump to eat those extra costs, but there's no guarantees there. However, I don't think Intel can keep charging several hundred dollars more than AMD if they hope to be any kind of winner beyond on paper.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
I don’t know if I would buy a new DDR4 system right now, so unless you really need more performance right now, it seems like it is upgrade an existing AM4 system with the 5800X3D, if you have an AM4 system, or buy a new motherboard, memory, and CPU to switch to Intel.

AMD is kinda lucky that Intel's MB vendors are incredibly slow to abuse the non-K OC, i think it is only now that MSI is coming out with B660 DDR4 motherboard that has external clock gen. $160 for MB + $170 for CPU and OC it to 5.x Ghz all core is unbeatable value 6C system, making X3D way overpriced even for those already with AMD system.

Reactions: Ranulf and Mopetar