Info 64MB V-Cache on 5XXX Zen3 Average +15% in Games

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Well we know now how they will bridge the long wait to Zen4 on AM5 Q4 2022.
Production start for V-cache is end this year so too early for Zen4 so this is certainly coming to AM4.
+15% Lisa said is "like an entire architectural generation"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
The video is quite interesting for many other things. There is also the confirmation of Zen4 launch later in 2022, as well as the implicit confirmation that (probably with Zen4) AMD will start to use ML accelerators on its CPUs. And a great focus in improving the power savings with a power management framework.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Well, it depends on the leaker. Kitty Yuuko is the only one saying that.

Not saying that some leakers don't have legit sources and get a lot of things right, but even the most accurate ones get things wrong. Some people seem to start trusting leakers as if they are AMD project managers once they get 1 or two things right, even if what the leaker says is in direct contrast to an official AMD announcement. Just like fortune tellers, people also tend to only remember when they get things right and forget all the times they were wrong. Everyone should be cautious in believing what any leaker says is my point, no matter how good their track record may be. I think most people on this forum know as much, but it was just a general statement after reading that twitter thread.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Hm, this makes no sense especially after earlier Computex presentation.

But it makes sense, if 3D V-Cache is too expensive+AMD intends to launch the Zen 4 Raphael APU earlier than expected.
I laughed so hard when I saw this Tweet because I knew exactly what it was all about.

The conclusion of the whole mess is: XT for OEMs, V$ for DIY (plus some XTs as well probably)

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
The worshipping of anonymous Twitter accounts or clickbait YT'ers is frankly making me take long breaks from hardware content rather than engaging more in the community.

Reactions: psolord

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The one and only leak of Threadripper Zen 3 is on B2 stepping. And Threadripper has higher power budget, so you may be onto something...

The pre-B2 stepping Zen 3 is being phased out completely. Has nothing to do with Threadripper. If what uzzi says ends up happening, all that means is that any Zen 3D models are going to be too pricey for OEMs.

deasd

Dec 31, 2013
The worshipping of anonymous Twitter accounts or clickbait YT'ers is frankly making me take long breaks from hardware content rather than engaging more in the community.
lol +1.
Especially since AMD has changed its policy about the pre-release product since Zen, we could barely know anything ahead of release date, that said AMD has tried its best to not leaking anything. Just keep doubts when see something 'leaks' about AMD product.
On the contrary Intel seems to not holding new toys as tight as AMD did, very large amount of leaks bursted out, but still some of them could also be clickbait or inaccurate. This is all my feeling recently.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
The pre-B2 stepping Zen 3 is being phased out completely. Has nothing to do with Threadripper. If what uzzi says ends up happening, all that means is that any Zen 3D models are going to be too pricey for OEMs.
It's less about pricing and more about focus methinks. AMD just lacks the SoIC bandwidth to feed the OEM, DIY and server markets all at the same time. The former just happens to be the one where V$ will have the least impact from a marketing perspective, so it gets the chop.

At the end of the day, pricing will inevitably be dictated by whatever the market deems to be competitive. It's not like there's any chance of AMD losing money on the lineup, even if they have to be aggressive on pricing.

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
As few of us speculated here, AMD apparently cancelled Threadripper Zen 3

I think that AMD massively screwed up the TR lineup since they switched Socket with Zen 2, then released TR PRO matching most of EPYC features. Too much product overlap going on there. If I was a Zen 2 TR user I would be angry that AMD left me without upgrade path, but it makes sense to unify everything behind TR PRO than to have Socket 754/939 coexisting all over again.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
I think that AMD massively screwed up the TR lineup since they switched Socket with Zen 2, then released TR PRO matching most of EPYC features. Too much product overlap going on there. If I was a Zen 2 TR user I would be angry that AMD left me without upgrade path, but it makes sense to unify everything behind TR PRO than to have Socket 754/939 coexisting all over again.

Yeah, the Threadripper platform / SKUs are quite illogical. You could buy 16 core TR on 8 channel platform, but the 4 channel platform, the minimum is 24 cores

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah, the Threadripper platform / SKUs are quite illogical. You could buy 16 core TR on 8 channel platform, but the 4 channel platform, the minimum is 24 cores

Different markets. The TR Pro's competitive product from Intel is Xeon W. The regular TR is Core X. A 16 core TR isn't going to sell much now that the mainstream platform goes up to that.