64 or 128 bit encyption to protect my pc??

CHfan4ever

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2004
What difference will it make??Iv select 64 bit with my new router...is it better to select 128 bits???

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
128 bit is not twice as hard to crack as 64, it's _many_ times harder... 64 is not easy though. Use 128 if you can.

CHfan4ever

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2004
well iv set it to 64 bits...is it still secure enough??? also iv set my connection to channel 1, and it work great....its recommanded to set it to 11...can 1 do the job??

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unfortunately, the 64 and 128 bit modes don't really mean 64 and 128 bit - they mean 40 and 104 bits respectively.

40 bit encryption is generally regarded as 'toy' grade encryption these days. It'll keep your neighbours from accessing your router, and will keep casual 'drive by' hackers out. However, anyone who has downloaded a simple hacking toolkit, will be able to retrieve your password and connect to your router in about 5 minutes.

The higher mode encryption (called 128 bit) is very secure, and good enough for most purposes.

From the point of view of security, if your router has a 'WPA-PSK' mode you should enable that, rather than the older 'WEP' mode - as the newer modes fix a number of serious bugs in the original WEP encryption.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
People buy Cars.

Some do not Lock it at all. :shocked::

Some add no security.:shocked::

Some put the Club. :cookie:

Some put an Alarm that makes noise. :music:

Some put an Alarm that pages them in case of intrusion. :camera:

Some have a LOJack. :thumbsup:

Some have few of the above, some have it all. ;)

And even then; Nothing will help if the Car is already inside a Metal Contianer in the Port of Bayon, waiting to be shipped abroad.:thumbsdown:

So What to you do? :confused:

It depends on what you are using the Car for. :brokenheart:

What is in the Car.:gift:

The Value of the Car. :D

The Neibourhood that you Parked in.:eek:

Your own level of Anxiety. :evil:

And so On, and So On.

The same is with Wireless. :thumbsup:

:sun:

furballi

Banned
Apr 6, 2005
Generally, the level of security depends on your neighborhood. I use a screen front door lock during the summer. The neighbors have their own ISPs. I turn-off the router when it is not in use.

CHfan4ever

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2004
is there a difference in security between HEX and ASCII ???( im currently using HEX codes)

InlineFour

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Originally posted by: CHfan4ever
is there a difference in security between HEX and ASCII ???( im currently using HEX codes)

ASCII is all numbers, letters, and symbols.
hexadecimal is letters and numbers only. <--- not totally sure.

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Cliffs: WEP of any strength is worthless, and can be cracked in about five minutes. Use WPA, and make a good random key.

Yep, the only defense WEP, even WEP-128 has these days is unprotected networks, i.e. even easier targets than yours, and this is changing. In my area, in casual scans, most connections are secured. In some places, police do wardriving, and if they can identify the source of an unprotected wireless network, warn them about it.

I've had in a break-in when using WEP-128 and SSID hiding together in a home environment; I won't use or recommend it any more -- WPA-PSK (with a strong key) is a minimum for me, and this is generally so easy to get that it doesn't make sense to use anything less. In cases where there's old equipment with no software updates in the last several years, I'd replace it -- wireless can be pretty cheap if you look around.

Of course, if you can't afford WPA, and don't mind the risk, then WEP-128 is a bit better than nothing.