$630 Fine for driving 1 mph over limit in South Georgia, I-95 drivers Beware, Statewide 55 MPH Limit coming

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
1-31-2004 A note to speeders in McIntosh County: Don't look for a miracle

The McIntosh County police will give you some leeway over the posted 70 mph speed limits. I won't tell you how much, but it is more generous than I would have imagined. That means that when they do stop you, you are driving somewhere near the speed of sound and you might as well be prepared to take your medicine. Fines range from $630 to $1,205 or more. By the way, the same rules don't apply to the Georgia State Patrol. They can, and will, stop you at 1 mph over the speed limit.

Here is some free advice you may find useful. If you, (a) believe in God, (b) have a tendency to ignore posted speed limits and, (c) get stopped for speeding in McIntosh County by Lt. Kenny Williams, don't bother praying for a miracle, like talking your way out of a ticket.

It won't happen. Williams, a small, wiry man, says, "If I stop them, I ticket them." Period.

Even lawyers lose in a battle of wits with Kenny Williams. His fellow officers tell about the time Williams was on the witness stand and was asked by a defense attorney if he had administered a breathalyzer test to his client. Williams said he had.

"Do you know how a breathalyzer works?" the attorney asked. Williams said he didn't.

"You don't know how a breathalyzer works and yet you administered it to my client?" the attorney thundered.

"Well," said Williams, "I don't understand how a telephone works either, but I know how to use it." End of testimony.

Like many law enforcement agencies in Georgia, McIntosh police are low-paid. Some work two jobs to make ends meet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who is pocketing the proceeds from all these $1,200 speeding tickets then if they pay the cops so little?

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
Yet another reason for me to be ashamed of my home state. :(

Georgia is infested with retards. So is South Carolina. Neither the leaders nor the general population of either state has a clue as to just how stupid they look to the rest of the nation.

.....hangs head in shame and walks away. :(

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
I went to school in Atlanta for a brief period (I'm from New England) and I loved laughing at all the hicks who line the highways with accidents when they get half an inch of snow. I swear to god, they get flurries and there's an accident every 50 yards, its hilarious :).

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
This must be a joke, everywhere else 10mph or less would not make you fineable...
btw, retardation sucks and its not funny.

Gand1

Golden Member
Nov 17, 1999
Any officers here that can justify this....

I thought radar was generally off by +/- 3-5mph so it's impossible to ticket someone for 1mph over the speed limit. Well that is unless the officer was really being a prick!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Another thing to beware of folks driving throughthese parts is if they feel like making more Revenue from you than just getting $630 for 1 mile per hour over the limit they will pad the speed they cite you for.

For example if you were going 59 in a 55, they will write you up for going 74 in the 55.

They do this especially if you are a Georgia Driver because they get more money and points for speeders over 24 mph over the limit.

So you out of State drivers would not likely see this padding occur for you, be happy you are only paying $630 for going that 1 mile per hour over and got away with only putting in $630 towards the State and/or local city buget and Police Christmas Party.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Giving a ticket for 1mph over is completely asinine. Most speedometers are not even accurate to 1mph, plus when you factor in cosine error from the radar, the error becomes even larger. I'm glad I have a Valentine 1 -- it easily pays for itself (especially if you live in McIntosh County).

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Can we have a dedicated "Why Georgia Sucks" thread, like the one for the economy? :D
There are just too many of these. ;)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Another thing to beware of folks driving throughthese parts is if they feel like making more Revenue from you than just getting $630 for 1 mile per hour over the limit they will pad the speed they cite you for.

For example if you were going 59 in a 55, they will write you up for going 74 in the 55.

They do this especially if you are a Georgia Driver because they get more money and points for speeders over 24 mph over the limit.

So you out of State drivers would not likely see this padding occur for you, be happy you are only paying $630 for going that 1 mile per hour over and got away with only putting in $630 towards the State and/or local city buget and Police Christmas Party.

I'd like to see evidence that they are falsifying the proof of the radar reading. If you have any proof of it you should call the AG of Georgia.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I'd like to see evidence that they are falsifying the proof of the radar reading. If you have any proof of it you should call the AG of Georgia.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
I think death by firing squad is appropriate for speeders.

States and counties are low on money. This is a sure fire way to raise money. End of story. You will be taxed one way or another.

If you vote for budget cutting Republicans then you will be paying at the court house instead. And probably more.

-Robert

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Mill

I personally have the proof. In the new Governors speed trap city of Perry Georgia on south Georgia on I-75.

Rung up for doing 74 in a 55. I had my cruise set for just under 60 so you could say I was doing 59.

Donna will confirm this, she couldn't believe it.

Oh, and the last person I would ever call would be the Attorney General of Georgia. It is still Thurbert Baker. He was the only one not ousted out of Office in the last Election.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Why would any sane person have their cruise set to under 60 on an interstate?

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill
Why would any sane person have their cruise set to under 60 on an interstate?

Heh. Here in Canada it's safe to go 90-100 mph between cities, where there's literally nothing but the boreal or farms. Well, not safe for your license though with the limit being 62 :)

SportSC4

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2002
it's easy for police (or anyone for that matter) to falsify radar readings. clock a car going 74 mph and use that reading to pull over several cars (happened to a friend of mine, weird how the last 7 cars the cop pulled over were all at 69 mph in a 55, that ticket was thrown out). Also a person could rotate the gun medially or laterally and that will throw off the numbers.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ELP
Someone explain to me again why Georgia wasn't allowed to stay seceded?

I don't know but maybe the North should get back down here and do another whomping. They apparently didn't learn the from the first time.

Be sure to mention that on your radio show. I'm sure you'll be immensely popular.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: SportSC4
it's easy for police (or anyone for that matter) to falsify radar readings. clock a car going 74 mph and use that reading to pull over several cars (happened to a friend of mine, weird how the last 7 cars the cop pulled over were all at 69 mph in a 55, that ticket was thrown out). Also a person could rotate the gun medially or laterally and that will throw off the numbers.

Can't use that excues in this case. The guy said he was using the technique where he counts the seconds between the white lines on the road ( He gave a name for it but I forget). One guy counts from on top of the bridge and they send the guy on the ground after the vehicle they want to nail.

Obviously the Southern Troopers can't count either.

dejack03

Feb 2, 2004
Ticketing for 1mph over the speed limit is not a good policy for several reasons.
1. Instrumental Error - You would be hard pressed to find a vehicle or a speedometer that is calibrated PERFECTLY.
2. Officer Safety - This type of rigid (or should I say rabid) enforcement is the stuff 'police hate' is made out of. The people who authorized that 'zero tolerance' rule should take remedial kindergarten.
3. WTF - How would a person be going 1mph over the speed limit knowingly without sophisticated equipment? Should we all just drive like grandmothers!?

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
4. It's assumed that everyone agrees that speed limits are put in place for safety. If so, give one example where 1 mph difference in speed would make a difference in an accident.

In my opinion, I don't the point in having speed limits passed 70-75 mph. If your going to have an accident at 75 mph, the outcome won't be any different than if you're going 100.

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
75 isn't even all that fast. That's the average speed of light traffic, and the speed of the left lane in medium traffic.

RobCur

Banned
Oct 4, 2002
Ga sucks, they will try to fine you for anything even if it means catching people that aren't speeding. lived there for 10 yrs, hated it, just a bunch of pricks scamming people left and right to make easy money. They treat us people like we're stupid and well not stupid maybe too nice to retaliate.
Let me tell you, it take quite a bit of talking to talk them out of ticketing you lol.
if you are an idiot and just act afraid, like sir I am sorry I didn't know, well you just admitted your quilt and they will run you over like a chicken on the middle of the road, LOL.
btw, I am glad I moved to Kansas, at least cop are nicer. well I could be wrong thought because the other day a cop pulled me over just for doing 40 on 30, kind of silly huh?
He say that he cannot give me speeding ticket because its not 15 or over, but i suspect he's just doing it to check me license and insurance. very annoying thought.