60w 120v led

JohnDK

May 20, 2019
I have two bulb fixture on a wall switch, not a dimmer, with led bulbs. A bulb was strobing, not going out but flashing bright and returning to normal, no pattern, random. I replaced the bub unknown make with ecosmart 60w led. Now, days later, the other bulb is doing the exact same thing. I feel if it was power delivery or a bad connection both bulbs would act the same. One strobed, replaced it, now the other is striving. One fixture two sockets. I have many less thru the house single and multi socket fixtures with no problems.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Could just be a coincidence. Perhaps something new was plugged in to the same circuit?

JohnDK

May 20, 2019
Perhaps, It is an old house. I need to check the circuit not likely dedicated to lights. I can't think of any recent changes or additions to demand. I guess I'll switch the offending bulb with a known good and see if problem follows it.
It is a three gang switch, one switch controls the two socket landing fixture showing the problem, second switch controls a single socket exterior fixture. Third switch controls two single sockets in the basement. These are all LED as are most in the house and no other problems.
These did not flicker or go dim they flash bright.

JohnDK

May 20, 2019
I guess it was dumb luck? switched the two bulbs in the two sockets in the fixture and the strobe followed the bulb. Replaced the bulb no strobe. To be clear and too critical the first bulb to strobe was not Ecosmart, the second bulb was. These two strobing bulbs I believe are less than a year old.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
The timing is probably semi-coincidental. I have found that a common symptom of an LED bulb "starting to fail" is that brightness surging behaviour. So the fact that both of a pair of idetical bulbs did that within a short time of each other just says they both aged about the same, but with a very small difference (a week?) in lifetime. I doubt the failure of the first caused the failure of the second. I also doubt that some other problem with the supply circuit was a cause. Just plain aging of the bulbs.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I replaced all the incandescent lights with LED's in the new (to us) house. A couple of circuits are on dimmers. Those lights flicker from time to time when they're dimmed. One has 3 "can lights" with LED flood bulbs, the other is a "chandelier" with LED bulbs. Both flicker at the same time. It's odd...haven't been able to track down the cause. I DO NOT know if both sets of lights are on the same breaker. (been to lazy to troubleshoot that far) :p
AFAIK, neither flickered with incandescent bulbs...but, truthfully, I switched them out right after moving in, so...maybe?
The bulbs ALL work fine on full brightness...haven't noticed any flickering then, only when dimmed. COULD be a bad dimmer switch...or that they're not LED rated? I dunno...just one of the "quirks" in this house.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
That is 100% of the symptoms that you have described.

Bought new dimmer switches that are LED rated. Went to swap them out...found that neither of the existing switches were connected to the ground...connected them to ground...so far, no flicker...we'll see.