60-80mm adapter on a Alpha PAL6035. Source for shorter screws?

amsTaTic

Dec 9, 1999
A friend is setting up some of my surplus parts for a DC/Folding boxen. In the mix, I have an Alpha PAL6035 minus the 60mm fan. However, I do have a 60-80mm adapter, and a good high output 80mm Sunon fan. The screws that came with the Alpha are too long for mounting the adapter.

Does anyone know of a good source where I can purchase the correct size/length screws for mounting the adapter? The local hardware stores, (HD, Lowe's, etc.), were absolutely worthless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA :)

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: pelikan
hack saw.

EXACTLY! go to a hobby shop, head towards the "train" section and find a small hack saw. They use it for cutting train track...;)

amsTaTic

Dec 9, 1999
Originally posted by: pelikan
hack saw.

Well, thanx anyway for the replies, but I should have added that I would rather not cut the ones I have. Otherwise I could have used my hacksaw or Dremel on them already. I want to keep the original screws just in case the adapter idea sux. I just figured that someone else has done this with the PAL6035 WITHOUT cutting the original screws, like purchasing a set of screws that are around 25mm shorter, and could tell me where I could get some too....

Thanx again.

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
Is there something special about these screws? Screws are pretty standard. Home Depot doesn't have them? Dang, they have a lot of screws.

If you can't find the shorter screws, take the ones you have to a specialty Nuts, Bolts, Screws and Fasteners place that you can find in the Yellow Pages. Every metropolitan area has a few. I wanted some common, teeny-weeny screws one time, only I needed stainless steel. I drove to an outfit in the Detroit area that I found in the yellow pages. The place was packed with people looking for special fasteners, and not many of them were contractors who needed 10,000 (which is what I was worried about.) There were ladies there showing them screws they needed to replace. The sales guy was very helpful. You just have to give him an idea of what you want and what will work. But you have to decide, and the price can be high if you choose something unusual when something common will do, so ask the price. The screws I needed were like 5 cents a piece in lots of 100. SS screws were cheaper there than anywhere else I've seen them. I'm tempted to go there for any scew or nail I might need, only it is kind of far.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Do NOT cut those screws. They're metric, and nearly impossible to replace in that length. A good hardware store might have them in a shorter length. If the adapter is tall enough, get some tubular 1" spacers from an electronics or hardware shop, mount the adapter to the sink with the spacers inside. Won't affect the airflow enough to matter....

By hardware store, I mean a real hardware store, like a Tru Value or Ace or an independent, if such a thing even exists any more...

amsTaTic

Dec 9, 1999
I though the original screws would be difficult to replace, that's why I won't cut them. I spent half the day Friday searching the local Home Depots, Lowe's, Tru Value, etc. None of them had what I needed. Some were close, but the threads were just a bit off.

I'll try some specialty hardware joints next week, or swing by Radio Slack and get some of those tubular spacers.

Thanx for the suggestions :cool: