60,000 mile service

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
My Ford Explorer is due for its 60,000 mile service and I'll be damned if I am going to take it to the dealer. I am going to order al la carte services from my local mechanic and am looking for suggestions. I was thinking:

ATF flush
Coolant replacement
New belts
New battery (needed anyway)
oil change
rotate tires

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Mwilding
My Ford Explorer is due for its 60,000 mile service and I'll be damned if I am going to take it to the dealer. I am going to order al la carte services from my local mechanic and am looking for suggestions. I was thinking:

ATF flush
Coolant replacement
New belts
New battery (needed anyway)
oil change
rotate tires

Spark plugs and wires? Check your fuel filter. Air filter? Really depends on how often you do these services too.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Many cars also suggest timing belt change at 60K; also as mentioned, replace all the various filters (air/fuel) and check the PCV valve.

If you want to go the extra mile, you should probably change out the gear lube in the diffs as well.

And check the other stuff... do all the lights work? Anything squeak that needs some lube or WD40? I know the dealer loves to justify their $600-$1500 60K service with like, 50 different "inspect this or that" line items. So, just look the rig over for anything amiss.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Also a common issue on mid to mid-high mileage Explorers is the Idle Air-Control Valve (IAC).

If you pull up to a red light, stop, and if you notice your engine idling drop to less than 500 rpm on occasion, then the IAC valve could be the culpret. It almost seems like your Explorer's engine is going to die, but then it kicks back to life, and the engine RPMs kick back up.

PAB

Banned
Dec 4, 2002
I throw the manual out the window with the"60k, 80k service, etc"

Most cars nowadays have extended life coolants and all sorts of wonderful technical innovations that aren't old school.

I've never changed a belt before it was broken, or spent $350 at a mechanic just for what amounts to be a checkup, so I find a lot of those guides to be silly.

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
I just had a 60k done on my '03 Honda Accord. They just changed out all the filters, spark plugs, oil change, alignment, balance, and a few other things. Two weeks later my transmission went out and needed to be replaced. Fortunately they covered it, even though the vehicle was beyond any warranty coverage.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PAB
I throw the manual out the window with the"60k, 80k service, etc"

Most cars nowadays have extended life coolants and all sorts of wonderful technical innovations that aren't old school.

I've never changed a belt before it was broken, or spent $350 at a mechanic just for what amounts to be a checkup, so I find a lot of those guides to be silly.

And that would make you an idiot.