6 speakers and a 4x50 headunit: No good?

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Edited my thread rather than starting a new one...

If I am going to hook up 6 speakers, what do I need other than a headunit?

Plan to get a Pioneer 5500 Mp3 headunit, and then 6 speakers, possibly Kappas. Do I need an amp in this case?

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I didn't plan on buying an amp or any subs, at least for the time being. I don't really NEED an amp, do I?

Before you ask, yes, I am car audio stupid.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Don't worry, I don't know much about car audio either.

I wouldn't use an amp, but that's just me. Make sure you use some quality wire. Like 16 gauge.

Jan 21, 2003
Looks like a good pick. You don't really need an amp, but you get better sound, as well as more sound, if you really want to crank it up. The infinity kappas are great speakers, if money is an issue (it was for me) you can get cheaper speakers that will perform close to the same. Chances are you won't notice a difference. Thats just my though. (if the money isn't an issue go with the kappas!)

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I just priced this out at etronics.com, and it came out to $367 before shipping. So much for SoundDomain. :p

Blueopt, can you recommend those cheaper speakers? Which ones are you referring to?

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Actually, now I am wondering... maybe someone can clarify. When does one NEED an amp? I notice the Pioneer says 4x50w, if I plan to have 6 speakers, will it still work ok? (2 dash, 2 front doors, 2 rear doors, for the vehicle in my sig)

Jan 21, 2003
any of the cheaper name brands in your size 4 X 6 = pioneer, sony - $50, polk - $60, infinity reference plate - $70 for the 6.5's = sony - $70, pioneer - $80(not the cheaper one), alpine, infinity reference, sony, pioneer - $100 There are many different types out there, I don't know what you are looking for so..... look at the specs before you buy and make sure they work for you. Btw all the prices are from Crutchfield so you can probably find them cheaper someplace else!

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
That'd be a nice set up. No worries on that gear. I know SD does alot to make their customers happy, might see if they would be willing to pricematch to etronics prices.
Amps are only need to get more power then what the HU can supply. It essentially makes it sound louder. Do you NEED one? No, the HU will work fine. But adding an amp will give you louder sound, most likely better clarity and better midbass response.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
bump for the evening crowd. I put in pricematch requests at SoundDomain, will hear back tomorrow hopefully.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
substitute the rear pair of speakers (presumably 4x6) with a cheap US Acoustics 2 channel amp...

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
The Kappas will need an amp for best results. I doubt that you'll find them loud enough without an amp, unless you have a very quiet car, and never drive with your windows open.

More sensitive speakers, such as the Infinity Reference series and JBL GTO series are designed to sound good without an external amp.

I know that Crutchfield has sensitivity specs online for all the speakers. That's an easy site to leech good info from, even if you don't want to buy from them.

Don't forget the wiring harness (REQUIRED, or else you're asking--nay--screaming for electical trouble), and dashboard fit-kit (required for many cars).