6 Plus is getting REAL OLD. 5T or 7 Plus?

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
6 Plus is full of bugs no matter what I do.

I do not want to spend 1k on a flagship device. The new 5T seems to interest me. 95% of the performance for 50% of the cost.

Should I make the switch to android? My businesses use the G Suite Apps. I have heard Google Apps are better on iOS. Is that true? It doesn't make sense but I wouldn't be surprised.

I currently use Outlook for email but would be willing to switch to Gmail. I also use Google Drive a lot. My google play music is worthless on iPhone.

The biggest two things that I think I will miss is iMessage and Podcast app. Has anyone had experience switching over?

Or should I get a used 7 Plus for 500 on ebay.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Eh, Google apps aren't really different. In the last period of app design transition the iOS ones got updated first, but I suspect with the Pixel line that will no longer be the case.

Outlook works fine on Android as well... Tons of good podcast options. iMessage is really the one thing there's no direct equivalent too.

The 5T is a nice device but the camera is only decent, not top-class. I'd look at a used S8+ on Swappa as well as the other options.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
7+ or 8+ for iOS, and S8 or S8+ for Android are what I'd recommend. Any of those options would be a significant step up in terms of performance and camera quality.

drbrock

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2008
So it seems like the one plus 5t isnt worth it compared to the used S8+ for the same price. Will def cancel my order.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
If you can get it at the same price and you don't care about bootloader unlocking, then definitely Galaxy S8+ is your best bet.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
Tons of good podcast options.

If there is one category of apps that's lacking on android, it's podcast apps. Each and everyone is fatally flawed: it's either too complicated, with too many options, or it just does not work well, like remembering to download episodes offline when on wifi, or notifications are not working reliably, or it's just ugly as sin.

I think podcast manager on Windows Mobile was the perfect. i wish someone copies it pixel by pixel.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
If there is one category of apps that's lacking on android, it's podcast apps. Each and everyone is fatally flawed
No they aren't. There are plenty of great podcast apps on Android.
You make these sweeping proclamations at times that are just flat out false. Because something had "too many options" for you, or doesn't look like some app on Windows mobile, doesn't make it "fatally flawed."

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
It is also one of the better aging phone made by Samsung in my experience.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
No they aren't. There are plenty of great podcast apps on Android.
You make these sweeping proclamations at times that are just flat out false. Because something had "too many options" for you, or doesn't look like some app on Windows mobile, doesn't make it "fatally flawed."
Sorry. I think it implied that it's subjective.
But, a few of us, coming from WP, have been trying to find a reliable podcast app for mire than a year now, without success. Please recommend me one.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If there is one category of apps that's lacking on android, it's podcast apps. Each and everyone is fatally flawed: it's either too complicated, with too many options, or it just does not work well, like remembering to download episodes offline when on wifi, or notifications are not working reliably, or it's just ugly as sin.

I think podcast manager on Windows Mobile was the perfect. i wish someone copies it pixel by pixel.

pocketcasts is a really good podcast app on Android

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Uh, i assume you had to activate a new line for that price?
No, It was upgrade phone on existing contract (ATT).

On Black Friday MSNBC TV did a nationwide survey of iPhone X pricing and Walmart was the lowest. Went to local Walmart - "They didn't send us any of those phones". Went to next closest Walmart - "They didn't send us any of those phones".

Sat in the parking lot and called all the Walmarts within 50 miles and sure enough one 50 miles away has the deal. Hour drive and 1-1/2 hour wait in line and got the second to last phone in stock, got $300 and $250 Walmart gift cards.

$1,000 - 300 (Walmart gift card deal on new phone) = $700.
$700 - $250 (trade in old 6s Plus) = $450

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
No, It was upgrade phone on existing contract (ATT).

On Black Friday MSNBC TV did a nationwide survey of iPhone X pricing and Walmart was the lowest. Went to local Walmart - "They didn't send us any of those phones". Went to next closest Walmart - "They didn't send us any of those phones".

Sat in the parking lot and called all the Walmarts within 50 miles and sure enough one 50 miles away has the deal. Hour drive and 1-1/2 hour wait in line and got the second to last phone in stock, got $300 and $250 Walmart gift cards.

$1,000 - 300 (Walmart gift card deal on new phone) = $700.
$700 - $250 (trade in old 6s Plus) = $450

Uhhh... So it's $700 for the X, not $450.

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
Yes, Google apps are better on iOS. In general, pretty much all apps are better on iOS.

I still have an iPhone 6S and imo, it's still the best iPhone out there. Headphone jack & physical home button with the still fast A9 SoC makes it the iPhone with the best user experience.

I use mine with an Apple battery case and I never worry about battery life.

T2urtle

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2004
This is a little sad to read. I’m a long time android user that switch over to a 7+.

I thought the biggest thing about iOS was phones don’t really slow down. I didn’t bother looking at the 8 or 10 because nothing wrong with my 7, while I would love wireless charging, it’s not a must.

If the OP gets a 7+ I only fear he will have the same problem about 1.5years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikegg

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
This is a little sad to read. I’m a long time android user that switch over to a 7+.

I thought the biggest thing about iOS was phones don’t really slow down. I didn’t bother looking at the 8 or 10 because nothing wrong with my 7, while I would love wireless charging, it’s not a must.

If the OP gets a 7+ I only fear he will have the same problem about 1.5years from now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 6S is 2 years old and no slow down anywhere. I think iOS is very optimized and since the A9, SoC power shot way ahead of software requirements.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
iMessages -- Maybe Pulse SMS will suit your needs
Podcasts - Pocket Casts

Other than that, everything else seems superficial.