+5vsb line damaged on Akasa 460W

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
I have an internet/work machine that I use for serious tasks and therefore have a lot of devices occasionally hooked up to it:

Digital Camera, SatNav, USB drives, MP3 player etc.

What I didn't realize is how important it is to make sure you think about which devices are fed by the +5vsb feed that still hangs around when the PC is switched off!

I've always jumpered motherboards to supply 5vsb to the PS2 mouse and keyboard so I can have the option of powering on my PC without hitting the case button. I also left the jumper that supplies the same voltage to the back two motherboard USB sockets for the same reason.

Problem is I never thought about this when I decided to use a PS2 keyboard and mouse, leaving the back two USB ports providing a +5vsb.

What's the problem you ask?

Well, I happened to have my Satnav and MP3 player hooked up to these ports, so they were getting charged when the PC powered down. At first I thought it was a neat feature....

...until my PSU's +5vsb line began to exhibit signs of failure/damage. It's rated for 2A, but is now fluctuating (as shown by the flickering motherboard LED) causing random cold boot issues. It took me ages to track down the issue as it was so subtle, but now I've replaced the PSU all is well.

The voltage regulator for this rail must have been damaged, as it's usually on an independent circuit. The rest of the PSU is fine so it's an annoying issue as it powers the PC from warm boot without any problems - and it was quite a reasonably priced unit!

I've since jumpered the motherboard to avoid supplying external sockets with +5vsb and will use the case power switch from now on, just to be safe!

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up about potential issues with +5vsb and USB sockets.

andlcs

Feb 18, 2003
Have you checked for leaking capacitors? Maybe the +5VSB filter capacitor (probably a TEAPO since it's an Akasa/Enhance PSU) blew because it was powered 24/7 in your machine.

Deanodarlo

Dec 14, 2000
Thanks for the advice.

No, I haven't checked but you could very well be right since it was over-worked while the PC was switched off. I'm guessing TEAPO capacitors are the lower quality ones?

I'll check for a damaged capacitor in the future once the unit has been discharged. It would be great if I could repair it, as there is nothing wrong with the rest of the unit.

The main reason I posted this thread is just to make people aware of the issue as it's something easily overlooked. I've seen many examples of those with boot issues (some identical to mine) that could be down to a bad +5vsb line that was overworked via the ps2 and USB sockets while the PC was switched off or in standby/hibernation.

Really, the PSU shouldn't fail in the first place under such conditions as many motherboards provide the +5vsb to certain external sockets by default. I noticed on the Akasa website the next revision of the same PSU contained a "strengthened +5vsb".....hmmmm, I wonder why? ;) :D