5th Anniversary FAH bigadv eol anniversary challenge

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014

I wanted to post here and let whomever wants to partake jump on. Those whom don't so be it. Just let us know if the team would like to partake this year. We plan on running it from Jan. 24th to Jan 31st. We are allowing other teams to join in this year and hope that helps with some of the issues folks had in the past events. If TAAT decides not to partake this year that is ok and no hard feelings if it is. We just ask that someone from the team post in our forums to let us know to include the team. No other formal sign up or anything needed.

Reactions: Assimilator1

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
FWIW, I had been posting per-user stats in the previous challenge, alongside @motqalden's canonical stats. I just looked at my implementation from back then and found that I could trivially scale this to more than two participating teams. IOW I could easily post the same kind of stats if TeAm AnandTech decides to join (or technically even if it doesn't).

Personally, Folding@Home is not working for me right now (uploads don't get through), and I don't know if and when I will try the only potential fix which came to my mind so far (booking a VPN service). Therefore I am not in a position for now to offer an opinion whether or not I'd like TeAm AnandTech to play. Besides, I am too much of a n00b to relate to the BigAdv program. :-)

Reactions: pututu

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I'm all in on F@H all Jan for the record run regardless of what else is going on. I don't mind us being part of the competition, but I know others may feel differently.

Reactions: Assimilator1

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
FWIW, I had been posting per-user stats in the previous challenge, alongside @motqalden's canonical stats. I just looked at my implementation from back then and found that I could trivially scale this to more than two participating teams. I
Is this something that you can share in the event that you are not able to publish the daily/half-daily race update? The last time I did the stat back in 2022 is by downloading the xml file from EOC site and put it in excel. Not sure how difficult is the learning curve. Thanks.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Since you can do F@H only once, can't out points go towards both races ? We only have one team, and one login, so it would have to count both ways ????

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'm cool with participating since I'll be running FAH for our internal challenge the entire month.

[H]Coleslaw

Apr 15, 2014
Since you can do F@H only once, can't out points go towards both races ? We only have one team, and one login, so it would have to count both ways ????
Technically if your team decides to join in this is true. The only difference is the desire to be part of the competition. Some will add more to their production for a competition they want to be in than just a day to day thing. If they are already partaking in the month long challenge then they are also already putting in more or whatever. The difference is basically just whether or not someone wants to say they partook really...

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
FWIW, I had been posting per-user stats in the previous challenge,
Is this something that you can share in the event that you are not able to publish the daily/half-daily race update? The last time I did the stat back in 2022 is by downloading the xml file from EOC site and put it in excel. Not sure how difficult is the learning curve. Thanks.
I can share it, although updating it for the 2024 challenge would probably have to be done by myself. Actual use of it was straightforward: Just let it loop in a spare terminal window (or take care to restart that loop if the computer was restarted) and copy + paste its output straight into the forum twice a day.

It needed bash and some standard utilities like grep and sort, and the text mode web browser links. All common linuxes have that in their repos, as does Cygwin. But there are two dark secrets:
  • It didn't quite follow EOC's rules for data gathering, as it accessed PHP web pages (the "Team Users List" of each participating team). Though there was only one access per team (would have been two accesses had there been more than 100 users submitting results on a day) three times a day. So I didn't hammer the server and am not feeling guilty. ;-)
  • It's hardwired to provide 12pm CST and 12am CST stats. But the 2024 challenge is scheduled to start and end at 12:00 UTC (6am CST). I haven't investigated yet what it would take to rewrite the scripts to create 6am/6pm CST stats. It might be easier then to use foldingathome.org's own stats dumps instead, but this would have the drawback that contestants may not always see the same exact stats over at EOC.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm all in on F@H all Jan for the record run regardless of what else is going on. I don't mind us being part of the competition, but I know others may feel differently.
I'm up for it, but I can't remember what the 'bigadv' is about, lol.
Was it WUs only for huge multi-core CPUs?

mmonnin03

Nov 7, 2006
Yes, it was a flag you could set in the client that would allow for tasks meant for many core CPUs. At that time it would have required 2/4/8P processors to reach the core count. I believe H had some heavy investors in it.

Reactions: Ken g6

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
I can share it, although updating it for the 2024 challenge would probably have to be done by myself. Actual use of it was straightforward: Just let it loop in a spare terminal window (or take care to restart that loop if the computer was restarted) and copy + paste its output straight into the forum twice a day.

It needed bash and some standard utilities like grep and sort, and the text mode web browser links. All common linuxes have that in their repos, as does Cygwin. But there are two dark secrets:
  • It didn't quite follow EOC's rules for data gathering, as it accessed PHP web pages (the "Team Users List" of each participating team). Though there was only one access per team (would have been two accesses had there been more than 100 users submitting results on a day) three times a day. So I didn't hammer the server and am not feeling guilty. ;-)
  • It's hardwired to provide 12pm CST and 12am CST stats. But the 2024 challenge is scheduled to start and end at 12:00 UTC (6am CST). I haven't investigated yet what it would take to rewrite the scripts to create 6am/6pm CST stats. It might be easier then to use foldingathome.org's own stats dumps instead, but this would have the drawback that contestants may not always see the same exact stats over at EOC.
I can do the overall team stat which is straight forward. There are now four confirmed teams as of now: [H], TAAT, EVGA and ExtremeHW participating. I'll also be doing our team individual stat since I already have the excel file that I used in 2022 and maybe modified the format. If you intend to publish the race result periodically, there is no reason to duplicate the work. Whoever is doing the stat is fine with me. Let me know.

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
Just to let you all know there are now 5 teams officially confirmed in the 5th BigAdv EOL race. Sorted in descending order based on the current 24hrs average output per EOC stat.
  1. TAAT
  2. www.overclockers.com
  3. folding@evga
  4. ExtremeHW
  5. [H]ardOCP
Start recruiting new and past folders and see if any team can break their team monthly/weekly/daily output record per EOC stat.

Here is the count down timer for the race. Less than 10 days to go!!!

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Don’t know why this occurred to me now, other than we are racing against neighbors. But some years back we raced Hardware Canucks Forum, and it turned out to be a mismatch, in our favor. Nevertheless, we were in the same neighborhood ranking-wise at the time. Now they have sunk to 94th place and only have eight active folders left. Kind of feel for them.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
RACE HAS STARTED!!!

Official team result will be posted here but you can copy or make your own individual or team stat.

Good luck to everyone participating in this race for a good cause.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
We've still got people pulling stuff out of storage and turning stuff on, so hopefully we pull ahead of where overclockers.com is later today. I've been texting people I know that were running F@H in late 2020, trying to see if I can get anyone else to kick in some extra horsepower too.