5ghz Intel

Mattd46612

Jan 23, 2005
I forget which board I saw it on and what the exact model it was but someone with phase cooling had a 5ghz Intel. Thats just disgustingly fast. I would like to see AMD start cracking 3ghz with ease in the near future.

IamTHEsnake

Feb 4, 2004
People over at www.Xtremesystems.org regularly get Intel Prescott CPUs to function stably at over 6.4 Ghz my friend. The fastest boot that wasn't a successful OC was an unbelievable 7.2GHZ! Obviously that is under heavy Cascade cooling and disgustingly oversized cooling solutions and mods to make something like that possible.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Yep, he's right. I feel that if you have to use water or phase change you're really a true maniac. There are guys who jack up their Intels to ridiculous heights, but they are usually doing the following:

- No case
- mobo sitting in open air
- Phase change cooling with huge CPU connectors and tubing
- All other components (PS, discs, etc...) sitting at random on their desk

Who the hell wants that? If you want to get any real work done, that is NOT the way to go. I like to be organized, thanks.

I feel high-end air is the most practical solution. You won't get 6 GHz Intel on high-end air. But so what? What exactly are you achieving? Can you be truly stable at that point? I doubt it.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Mattd46612
I forget which board I saw it on and what the exact model it was but someone with phase cooling had a 5ghz Intel. Thats just disgustingly fast. I would like to see AMD start cracking 3ghz with ease in the near future.

Your wish is granted. The FX-57 runs at 2.8 GHz and a 10% overclock is all but guaranteed. That puts it over 3 GHz.

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
And add the fact that most overclocks like that can't run anything, you can't even see how Doom will run because the CPU will explode.

IamTHEsnake

Feb 4, 2004
LOL, they buy/sell cpus all the time usually due to it either not performing up to their standards, or they make it go boom.

BillyBobJoel71

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
they will never get fast with semiconductors. once they start makign supe conductor processors, then you will get fast. i saw on futuremakr orb someone hada 5.7 ghz p4.

BitByBit

Jan 2, 2005
Wasn't there someone who achieved a 4.2GHz clock on an FX-55 with phase cooling?
I forget the site now, but it was a link someone posted in this forum.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky
Yep, he's right. I feel that if you have to use water or phase change you're really a true maniac. There are guys who jack up their Intels to ridiculous heights, but they are usually doing the following:

- No case
- mobo sitting in open air
- Phase change cooling with huge CPU connectors and tubing
- All other components (PS, discs, etc...) sitting at random on their desk

Who the hell wants that? If you want to get any real work done, that is NOT the way to go. I like to be organized, thanks.

I feel high-end air is the most practical solution. You won't get 6 GHz Intel on high-end air. But so what? What exactly are you achieving? Can you be truly stable at that point? I doubt it.

My system is safe and sound in a nice case, and I get plenty of work done. ;) BTW, I am not a "true maniac"... I am a TechnoNUT. :laugh:

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Technonut

My system is safe and sound in a nice case, and I get plenty of work done. ;) BTW, I am not a "true maniac"... I am a TechnoNUT. :laugh:

Nice OC, that's a good mobo too. Always fun to see what other people are doing with their rigs