5970 CF freezing issues. HELP PLEASE

lord infamous

Apr 16, 2011
Hello all,

I used to have a single Sapphire HD 5970 in my system and never had issues. Then I threw in another Sapphire HD 5970 I had laying around and started having issues.

Problem:

When I launch SOME games like BFBC2 or Crysis 2 the game will launch and once it gets to the main menu, 90% of the time after 5-30 seconds the screen will freeze with a sound loop then I will get a atikmpag.sys BSOD OR i will get half inch long red lines on the screen THEN the PC will crash due with the same BSOD. I CAN AVOID THIS ISSUE COMPLETELY if i launch the game in window mode, then once i join a server and play (get off the main menu) I alt+enter to fullscreen and I can play perfectly fine.

Things I have tried:

-Reinstalling windows 5-6 times and installing clean drivers.
-Trying Catalyst 11.2, 11.3 and 11.4 preview driver
-Setting ALL clocks to stock (GPU's and CPU)
-Flipping my CF bridge
-Flashing BIOS to newest version
-All Temps are perfectly fine (highest a GPU gets is 80c load, CPU is in the low 60's load)

Things to note:

-I have my first 5970 ontop in a 16x 2.0 PCIE slot, then i skip the middle 16x 2.0 PCIE slot and have my other 5970 in the bottom 8x 2.0 PCIE slot (did this due to heat issues when they are sandwiched together)
-I have my sound card between the two cards
-I have ordered a 1000watt Antec Quattro PSU to replace my 850watt Antec Quattro PSU due to power issues if I OC my Video cards too high (sometimes it will turn off my PC completely)

PLEASE help me with this as I have googled/toubleshooted this issues for many hours over weeks.

Thank you!

PC SPECS:

EVGA 3x SLI x58 mobo
Antec Truepower Quattro 850watt PSU
i7 920 @ 3.84ghz AND stock
2x HD5970 in CF w/ long CF bridge
1x kingston 128gb SSD (Primary)
1x 500gb WD Caviar (Secondary)
Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Music
2x DVD-RW Drives
Samsung BX2431 24" 1920x1080 LED LCD
Logitech Z-5500 5.1