5850 UNLOCKED TO 5870 CORE COUNT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Ben90
This bit is good, made me smile.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: dajeepster
Quote:
Originally posted by: T2k
It's a hoax, people: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=305854

that thread is just a link back to this thread... lol

Yeah i noticed the same thing and thought, "wtf how does that make it a hoax?". However, if this is a sham, then SUPER FRIGGIN LAME OF YOU.

ECHO!

Jesus, clueless, you people are.... look at the comments there, that was my point.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
damn, too bad it ain't true, I asked about this in official thread. who knows maybe some vendor who has custom solutions like XFX or MSI will come out with a custom unlockable card. never know.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
lol if it costs anything near what the 5850 costs i would be mildly irritated to say the least. i was planning on OCing the VRMs off my HD5870 so i dont mind that i spent a bucket of cash on it for early adopter pricing over the 5850, but if companies start selling 5850 GPUs with all the SIMD units enabled and OCed to stock 5870 clocks i will be rather irritated to say the least. still, unless AMD did the same thing with their GPUs this round as they did with the PH2 720/550 then the chances of this happening are 0

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: nyker96
damn, too bad it ain't true, I asked about this in official thread. who knows maybe some vendor who has custom solutions like XFX or MSI will come out with a custom unlockable card. never know.

A board partner is going to release unlockable cards? I highly doubt it.

Zinthar

Aug 1, 2006
Originally posted by: dflynchimp
Since this is the first batch of 5870 and 5750 yields are not yet high enough thaty they can be liberal with their binning, and chances are any chip that gets binned into the 5850 section probably has too many defective streams to run as a 5870 without bugs. I think that's why anyone trying to unlock their 5850 at this point might be able to get a reading in GPU-Z but once the defective streams are actually used in application you can bet they'll bug out.

This.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
dissapointed, I was hoping it would work. Need screens NAO!

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
I thought they started laser cutting the cores in order to stop the unlocks. Did they change this practice?

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: OCguy
Originally posted by: nyker96

A board partner is going to release unlockable cards? I highly doubt it.

Yeah, I have yet to hear about any AIB mfr who pops off the cap and start nano-sewing gates... :D

EnzoLT

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2005
hmm, so your friend was able to reverse the laser cut? interesting....i guess your friend has a 40nm fab in his garage.