Question 5800X on Asus ROG STRIX B550-E?

GothAmKing

Apr 3, 2012
So I'm thinking of getting the 5800X along with Asus ROG STRIX B550-E motherboard. I do plan to overclock, although not extremely. I'll be reusing a Noctua NH-D15S twin tower cooler. Aree the VRMs on this board good enough for a all time overclock? I really have no use other than gaming so I don't need lot of PCIe lanes. Just a GPU and a NVMe drive that uses them for now.

Thoughts regarding this are appreciated :)

UPDATE: As suggested, after seeing the price and VRM count of AORUS Master, I've decided to go with that instead of Asus.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
So I'm thinking of getting the 5800X along with Asus ROG STRIX B550-E motherboard. I do plan to overclock, although not extremely. I'll be reusing a Noctua NH-D15S twin tower cooler. Aree the VRMs on this board good enough for a all time overclock? I really have no use other than gaming so I don't need lot of PCIe lanes. Just a GPU and a NVMe drive that uses them for now.

Thoughts regarding this are appreciated :)
If I were spending that much on a B550 board, it would be the Aorus Master. It is full featured and an absolute unit.

That said, the STRIX-E reviews quite well, and can certainly handle the overclocking.

Reactions: john3850

GothAmKing

Apr 3, 2012
If I were spending that much on a B550 board, it would be the Aorus Master. It is full featured and an absolute unit.

That said, the STRIX-E reviews quite well, and can certainly handle the overclocking.

That VRM does look like beefier than the rest. How would you rate Gigabyte's BIOS over Asus's? Right now I'm using ASRock on Intel platform, I'd say its good enough. A little quirks here and there though.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
That VRM does look like beefier than the rest. How would you rate Gigabyte's BIOS over Asus's? Right now I'm using ASRock on Intel platform, I'd say its good enough. A little quirks here and there though.
I am not a big fan of Gigabyte's UEFI, but I am familiar with it so it does not put me off. The Asus is excellent with the exception that Kit Guru was not happy with how weird the load line calibration was. That was a while back, so probably plenty of guides for it by now.

Can't go wrong with either board.

KDKPSJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2002
Single biggest reason I avoided B550 Aorus Master was lack of front panel USB-C port. It was nonsense that GB decided not to put it on such high end B550 board. Maybe thet are saving it for new revision, typical Gigabyte trick. Otherwise a great board, but no way I would choose it over B550-E because of that.

Reactions: Makaveli

GothAmKing

Apr 3, 2012
Single biggest reason I avoided B550 Aorus Master was lack of front panel USB-C port. It was nonsense that GB decided not to put it on such high end B550 board. Maybe thet are saving it for new revision, typical Gigabyte trick. Otherwise a great board, but no way I would choose it over B550-E because of that.

My case is Meshify C and it doesn't have a Type C USB header on front panel. Also I have no particular use case for it. But you're right, being the most expensive B550 board they should have included it