5770 -- performance issues? Low Vantage & WEI

TrevorRC

Jan 8, 2006
I built a new rig which is having some odd issues with WEI (edit: NOW FIXED) and Vantage (still having trouble? ): ) with the following specs:

i5-750 (stock, thus far)
HIS 1GB 5770
40GB Intel SSD
1TB external HD
4GB GSkill DDR3-1600 RAM (dual channel mode)
Windows 7 64-bit, Signature Edition (Legitimate copy, FRESH install.)

I'm running the newest Catalyst drivers (9.12, installed the entire suite and downloaded the individual driver afterwards to confirm--upon install it says I have the latest version of Catalyst (2009.1124.2131...) and the newest actual video driver (after install, log reads:

ATI Display DriverFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.681.0.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes
"
My WEI score for graphics came out to 6.0 (now 7.4), Vantage is still reporting ~6400 for my GPU.
npquyb.png

Doing the switch to high performance under CCC did not solve my problems. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Run GPUZ and post a screenshot please. I've got the same exact card overclocked a bit and it shows up as 7.4 in WEI in Win 7 64 ultimate.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
hmm those numbers seem normal except for the fan speed. Is that manually set?
What PSU do you have and were you using another card before this without problem?
Although 5770s don't need that much power insufficient power could potentially cause lower performance. Also could you try underclocking things and benchmarking again.
Try 600/1200 and raising the clock speed up in 50 or 100 MHz increments.

Phil1977

Dec 8, 2009
Yea my 5750 gets 7.3 WEI...

On the 2nd image you posted. Tick these 2 tick boxes at the bottom (log sensor data) and run a game.

Check back with GPU-Z (don't close it when you launch 3D Marl or a Game) and double check that your card clocks up...

I had this weird bug once that it was stuck in 2D clock modes...

My 5750 runs at 800 / 1300 and my CPU is a Athlon II running at 3.5 GHz. Mainboard is a old Nvidia chipset with PCIe 1.0

Last edited:

TrevorRC

Jan 8, 2006
hmm those numbers seem normal except for the fan speed. Is that manually set?
What PSU do you have and were you using another card before this without problem?
Although 5770s don't need that much power insufficient power could potentially cause lower performance. Also could you try underclocking things and benchmarking again.
Try 600/1200 and raising the clock speed up in 50 or 100 MHz increments.

Yes, I upped the fan speed a bit. I use IEMs so the noise doesn't bug me in the slightest.

I'm using a Nextherm 460W PSU--it has two 18A 12V rails, given that I'm at stock settings using a low-power (95W) CPU and an SSD...I don't think that's the issue. I used it in a built with an Opteron 165, X850XT (and later a 7800GT, then an 8800GT), all with no issues--I was also using significantly more peripherals (heavy fans, 3 hard drives, etc.)

I'll try underclocking and see what it does. Thanks guys!

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Trevor,
I would suggest if you haven't allready done it, the following.....

1. make sure the card is installed and properly seated correctly.
2. download driver sweeper and boot into safe mode to get rid of any old drivers on your system.
3. reinstall the most current drivers 9.12's and make sure you have direct x 9 runtime installed on your system.
4. do not overclock you gpu yet
5. run WEI again (it doesn't automaticlly adjust with your new card).
6. run vantage

Tell us the results.

Your vantage scores should be 9 or 10,000 over all and around 9000 for gpu.
What is your cpu score in vantage by the way?

Read this thread.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2043357

Your power supply should be plenty.
You cpu is not the bottleneck.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I think I have the solution.
open the catalyst control center (advanced view for course, the default for the ATer ;))
Go to the performance section, make sure the slider is in the middle between speed and quality. If it already is, move it one notch to the left.
Rerun everything, see the scores get normal :)
If you moved the slider tot he left, put it back to the middle, rerun the tests, should be done.

Alex

TrevorRC

Jan 8, 2006
npquyb.png

WEI now reads correctly after applying several Windows updates. Still no change for Vantage, though.

TrevorRC

Jan 8, 2006
Issue fixed--when running Performance (instead of high) I'm in the proper ballpark.

Thanks for the help!