5770 crossfire and eyefinity

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Is it possible to use the ports between the two cards to set up 3 screens. It hasnt allowed me to it just shows as two. Do i still need to use a DP to get it running? I was told by powercooler that i should be able to get the 3 screens up and running if I had two cards.

Dec 30, 2004
Is it possible to use the ports between the two cards to set up 3 screens. It hasnt allowed me to it just shows as two. Do i still need to use a DP to get it running? I was told by powercooler that i should be able to get the 3 screens up and running if I had two cards.

Yes, you can, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. You can get 3 going with only 1 card.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i think he means: can he use 2 dvi ports on 1card and 1 dvi port on the other and still get 3 panel span eyefinity?

not familiar with the latest drivers, but i dont think so. you normally have to use the displayport and the dvi/hdmi ports on the primary card.

since you have a 5770 i'm assuming you aren't running monitors larger than 19x12, you can get away with using the cheaper $20 passive dport->dvi adapters. there are a bunch of approved models on the amd/eyefinity homepage.

R1P5AW

Jan 20, 2010
why not just use the displayport and run all three on 1 card and connect the other w/ xfire?

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
i think he means: can he use 2 dvi ports on 1card and 1 dvi port on the other and still get 3 panel span eyefinity?

not familiar with the latest drivers, but i dont think so. you normally have to use the displayport and the dvi/hdmi ports on the primary card.

since you have a 5770 i'm assuming you aren't running monitors larger than 19x12, you can get away with using the cheaper $20 passive dport->dvi adapters. there are a bunch of approved models on the amd/eyefinity homepage.

I don't think using a passive adapter will work, no matter what resolution. He could probably run three screens using 2 cards, or even 4, but he won't be able to use eyefinity.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I don't think using a passive adapter will work, no matter what resolution. He could probably run three screens using 2 cards, or even 4, but he won't be able to use eyefinity.

In addition to active converters, the same guideline document also describes a way for devices supporting both DisplayPort and DVI 1.0 or HDMI to use a single DisplayPort connector for both, using a relatively simple adapter that adjusts for the lower voltages required by the DisplayPort connector. A notable limitation is that this is limited to Single Link DVI/HDMI, and that an active Converter is needed for Dual-Link communication.

10wikipedias

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

at least a dozen passive dongles there. most are the same oem. but the only indicated difference is that the active ones go up to 2560x1600. seems unlikely that amd would certify something for eyefinity if it doesnt work.

everyone is so quick to pass on the same half rumors/speculation from the initial release. no one has bothered to follow up on the promised hardware. dvi and hdmi seem to do 19x12 passive, but vga is the one that needs active for even basic 16x12.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Anyone tested it? I know we have a passive dongle at the office, so I just might try it and see what happens ...

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
Yes I was wondering if I could get away with not using it. Thanks for the info on the passive vs active I to was getting the wrong information. Thanks a lot for the clarification.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Ctrackstar, you might want to change the title of the thread. not a lot of people are going to be curious enough to read about such a narrow topic as 5770crossfire or 5770eyefinity. but a lot of people were interested in displayport dongles. Something like "crossfire eyefinity & displayport adapter" may keep this thread alive longer.

I almost didnt bother reading this thread. and since I hate repeating myself and wont retype the dongle info again, it's up to you to keep this bit of info alive.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
From what I understand you still need to use the DP on the main card for the 3rd monitor. I think using the additional ports on the Crossfired card is something they're working on for 10.2 or 10.3 drivers?

I've read that using a passive DP -> VGA adapter (~$20) works but I haven't read anyone having success with passive DP -> DVI but I don't know for sure.