57 years ago today the US killed 10's of thousands of civilians

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Actually in a anouther few days we will be commemorating the killing of many more thousands of people with the bomb that did end the war. Although Hiroshama contributed to the end, the bomb that ended the war was dropped on Nagasaki.

That one was for the Soviets.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno
Actually in a anouther few days we will be commemorating the killing of many more thousands of people with the bomb that did end the war. Although Hiroshama contributed to the end, the bomb that ended the war was dropped on Nagasaki.

That one was for the Soviets.

Read my post above nutjob.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
[L=Lessons of Hiroshima]
The article footnote reads, "Kevin Black is a clinical psychologist who has lived and worked in Hiroshima." This piece was found under the Opinion section of my morning paper

You should have listed this first, so I wouldn't have wasted my time with his nonsense.

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is a memorial thread

Bullfsckingshit!

You may have started it out as such, however, it has certainly taken a turn for the worst imo. People exclaiming that they'd "do it again" if they had to?? You mean you'd kill another coupla hundred thousand innocent Japanese civilians? Fsck you.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Johnlee
This is a memorial thread

Bullfsckingshit!

You may have started it out as such, however, it has certainly taken a turn for the worst imo. People exclaiming that they'd "do it again" if they had to?? You mean you'd kill another coupla hundred thousand innocent Japanese civilians? Fsck you.

Hey don't blame me if the fvcking losers come in here! Kick their ass for me John.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
You mean you'd kill another coupla hundred thousand innocent Japanese civilians? Fsck you.
No but I'd kill a couple hundered thousand of the enemy to save a hundered thousand American lives .

0ops

Jul 4, 2001
Correct me if I am wrong (since I did not live through this),
Japan was practically already beaten before the the bombs were
dropped, and it did not end WWII since Germany kept on fighting
for a few more months. IMO the US just wanted to find out what
would happen if they dropped the bomb (just like they had used
bioweapons on one of their own ships to see what would happen).
This ranks as one of the worst acts of terror ever committed.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: 0ops

You're wrong. If you want an explanation of why, PM me.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
IMO the US just wanted to find out what
And you base this opinion on what? The Japs weren't about to surrender, in fact they were going to figyht to the last man. Hell they were doing it on the islands wewere fighting them for. Even their Pilots were killing themselves in Kamakazee(sp) attacks. There was no indication that the Japs were going to surrender.

BTW, None of the actions we took against the japs could compare to the atrocties those bastards commited against the Chinese or the Koreans.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

You're wrong. Read some history books for the facts. Not the revisionist sh!t that was posted earlier but some real history. Perferably some that quotes Truman and his Chief of Staff.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
WOW

i'm actually gonna stay out of this. OOPS. too late, i'm already in.

ok ok ok, i'll chime in.

How are they "Innocent"?? did the japanese civilians NOT support the war? Were the Japanese civilians COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to the ATROCITIES commited by Japanese soldiers during and Just before the war??

War is WAR. WAR SUX, but once your fighting a war, it's best to WIN it as quickly as possible.

Johnlee

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I realized that by your "nice shot" comment.

I just don't know if many people have ever read a book about Hiroshima, or have seen pictures. I mean, they were human beings, civilians, it wasn't a bomb on a military installation, but on a highly populated city. I think there are too many who are blase about the whole issue.

NM, I forgot I can't argue with people about these things...I'll go back to my padded cell now. cya.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
3/09/1945 85,000 plus killed in a firebombing of Tokyo

2/13and14/1945 135,000 killed in firebombing of Dresden

500,000 civilians killed in Japan from all raids combined.

57 years ago MILLIONS of people were killed in WWII. I see no relevance in pointing to any specific attack as being any different than another.

The aggressor nations of the conflict should be bowing their heads in shame today. It sure as hell isn't going to be me.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: CPA
You should have listed this first, so I wouldn't have wasted my time with his nonsense.
Understood, but the fact that the opinion piece states, "The ongoing declassification of U.S. government documents and officials' diaries have fairly recently revealed evidence..." seems to indicate the primary reason for dropping the bomb was to make a political point to the Soviets, not end the war - especially if "Truman repeatedly delayed acceptance of the Japanese government's conditional surrender attempts until after both types of A-bomb had been used." Isn't that worth a critical look since it makes it sound like there are existing supporting documents to this?

The very first reply to this thread had already made something other than a memorial thread. I suppose you needed to post something more explicitly about this thread's purpose before breaking out the angry smiley faces.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold
WOW

i'm actually gonna stay out of this. OOPS. too late, i'm already in.

ok ok ok, i'll chime in.

How are they "Innocent"?? did the japanese civilians NOT support the war? Were the Japanese civilians COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to the ATROCITIES commited by Japanese soldiers during and Just before the war??

War is WAR. WAR SUX, but once your fighting a war, it's best to WIN it as quickly as possible.

It is not only possible but probable that they were oblivious to the atrocities being commited. That doesn't change my opinion of what was done, Harry did what he thought had to be done.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I realized that by your "nice shot" comment
JL, I wouldn't support killing a couple of hunderdd civilians let alone a couple of hundered thousand enemy civilians unless it would save American lives. They attacked us and they didn't indicate they were going to surrender. In fact they indicated just the oppossite.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Read my post above nutjob.

Thanks for being mature enough to resort to name calling. We did drop the second bomb to end the war but it was also to show the Soviets that we were more powerful. The second bomb was dropped 3 days after the first one. I'm pretty sure the Japanese hadn't figured out what the hell happened the first time. Even after the second one was dropped, the Japanese wouldn't surrender until we let them keep Hirohito as emperor.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Thanks for being mature enough to resort to name calling. We did drop the second bomb to end the war but it was also to show the Soviets that we were more powerful. The second bomb was dropped 3 days after the first one. I'm pretty sure the Japanese hadn't figured out what the hell happened the first time. Even after the second one was dropped, the Japanese wouldn't surrender until we let them keep Hirohito as emperor.

actually, wasn't the treaty worded such that the Japanese never surrendered but that there was a peace treaty instituted? isn't there a difference between a SURRENDER and a peace treaty?

0ops

Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer
You're wrong. Read some history books for the facts. Not the revisionist sh!t that was posted earlier but some real history. Perferably some that quotes Truman and his Chief of Staff.

wow you're so helpful. You must be a teacher :p . How about pointing out where the
mistakes are? Maybe you should also give references to things that are more objective
than just quotes from Truman?

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
*SIGH*

I knew this thread would turn out in an all-out, name-calling bar brawl. But then, so did rahvin.
rolleye.gif

Obviously, rahvin is very pro-Japanese, and there's nothing wrong with being proud of your ethnicity. What rahvin seems to be confused about is the difference between an enemy and a Japanese or Italian or African person. In WWII Japan was an enemy of the US, nothing more nor less. They got bombed b/c they were the enemy and ASKED for it by bombing Pearl Harbor.

If it would've been AFrica or Belgium or whomever that bombed us, they would've asked for it too. Sigh, flame on, people. *ducks out of way*

dribgnikcom

Banned
Feb 21, 2002
The Japanese population needed to be forced into submission, just like the Germans did, and just like the Arabs need to now, only then was it possible to negotiate terms of peaceful coexistance with those countries, althugh this is not possible with the Arabs in my opinion.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
The Japanese don't make for a very sympathetic enemy in light of the horrendous atrocites they commited in China and the rest of Asia up to and including WW2. Hell the government of Japan still refuses to acknowledge their roles in some of these atrocities.