57 years ago today the US killed 10's of thousands of civilians

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
On August 6th, 1945 the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshama Japan in an attempt to end WWII. May history never repeat itself.

While you may have had good intentions starting this thread, the amount of racism in here has caused us to lock it.

AnandTech Moderator

that ended a war tha probably saved millions of lives. I hope we dont have to us it again, but I am glad we did.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Where's that 10 foot pole when you need it? Oh, I forgot. I left it in that "gay's coming out till 21 thread".

:)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Where's that 10 foot pole when you need it? Oh, I forgot. I left it in that "gay's coming out till 21 thread".

haha...

*me puts on flame proof googles to watch the show*

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: OmegaNauce
that ended a war tha probably saved millions of lives. I hope we dont have to us it again, but I am glad we did.
Exactly. Given a similar situation, I'd support doing it again.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir

haha...

*me puts on flame proof googles to watch the show*

Screw that, I am going to get my asbestos underwear. It is going to get hot in here, and there are some things I do not want to worry about.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
What is the point of this thread? Anti-United States? Anti-nuclear power? Will this somehow be turned around into another pro-Jew, anti-Arafat thread? Will the bombing of Hiroshima somehow be turned into a "and this is why Ricers rule the highways of the USA" thread?

Tune in at eleven tonight to find out!

*EDITED for the Rice Factor.*

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: rahvin
On August 6th, 1945 the US dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshama Japan in an attempt to end WWII. May history never repeat itself.
In an attempt?! It seemed to work pretty damn well.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
What is the point of this thread? Anti-United States? Anti-nuclear power? Will this somehow be turned around into another pro-Jew, anti-Arafat thread? Tune in at eleven tonight to find out!

Somehow I think ricers will come into this conversation before too long.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
If we were in the same position today, I would support them doing it again.

God Bless America.

Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Originally posted by: OmegaNauce
Exactly. Given a similar situation, I'd support doing it again.

I'll second that. And don't worry, flame-goggled asbestos underoo'd guys, I'm not even going to start on this one. It seems to have already been summed up without bias in the first post. Good job, rahvin! And also for pointing out a historic date- I had forgotten about it today until you said something.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: ThePresence
In an attempt?! It seemed to work pretty damn well.

Actually in a anouther few days we will be commemorating the killing of many more thousands of people with the bomb that did end the war. Although Hiroshama contributed to the end, the bomb that ended the war was dropped on Nagasaki.

There is no purpose to this thread other than to remember, may we never forget.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

And thank goodness the Japanese were not able to create their own bomb. No telling how many Chinese, Australian, American, etc. people would have been killed. LINK

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter
I thought it killed hundreds of thousands? Don't underestimate our accomplishments!

Collateral damage, in the days, weeks, months, and years to follow after wounds and radiation, and whatnot played their part.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: tcsenter
I thought it killed hundreds of thousands? Don't underestimate our accomplishments!

With an uncertain population figure, the death toll could only be estimated. According to data submitted to the United Nations by Hiroshima City in 1976, the death count reached 140,000 (plus or minus 10,000) by the end of December, 1945.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Lessons of Hiroshima
Using nuclear bombs on Japan was a political, not military, decision
By Kevin Black

[article snipped to get to the interesting part]

The second reason for our near universal misunderstanding of the twin nuclear holocausts stems from an equally human, but more socially harmful motivation. We have been collectively blocked from a critical understanding of the A-bombings because of a lack of public criticism in the face of a powerful and purposeful historical misrepresentation that began with President Harry Truman in the years following 1945 and is only ending now, albeit very slowly.

The ongoing declassification of U.S. government documents and officials' diaries have fairly recently revealed evidence that the history lessons that we were taught after the end of the Pacific War were false. To wit:

- The Joint Chiefs of Staff and every other high military official, as well as all Truman's key advisers, save one, were against the use of the A-bombs against the Japanese. Many were particularly concerned about the impact to America's moral stature for using bombs that they considered barbaric, especially upon a nation that they knew was beaten. After all, the U.S. military had already gained complete domination of Japanese airspace and waterways. They were simply waiting for the terms of surrender to be formulated between the U.S. and Japanese governments.

- Truman repeatedly delayed acceptance of the Japanese government's conditional surrender attempts until after both types of A-bomb had been used.

- Truman's physical target for the A-bombs were the Japanese, but the political target was his ally, but ideological opposite, Joseph Stalin.

- Hiroshima's city centre was targeted because its high population and building density would maximally display to the Soviets the killing and destructive power of America's new weapon.

- The deciding factors for the Japanese government's capitulation were the entry of the Soviet Union into the Pacific War coupled with America's post-bombing acceptance of conditional surrender.

- The story of a million American lives (and many more Japanese lives) saved by the A-bombs was a complete fabrication designed to eliminate public criticism of the president's decision.

- Thus, the twin destructive forces of "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" were of political, but not military, utility. In other words, the nuclear holocausts were used for the purpose of "atomic diplomacy" with the Soviets rather than to bring a swift end to the war.

--

The article footnote reads, "Kevin Black is a clinical psychologist who has lived and worked in Hiroshima." This piece was found under the Opinion section of my morning paper - how much of that is confirmed fact? Nonetheless I thought it was interesting.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Where's that 10 foot pole when you need it? Oh, I forgot. I left it in that "gay's coming out till 21 thread". :)

dude... what were you doing with a 10 foot pole in a gay thread? :Q :Q

and rahvin, as long as we have visual footage of the bomb, i don't think anyone will ever forget.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus
Lessons of Hiroshima
Using nuclear bombs on Japan was a political, not military, decision
By Kevin Black

[article snipped]

The article footnote reads, "Kevin Black is a clinical psychologist who has lived and worked in Hiroshima." This piece was found under the Opinion section of my morning paper - how much of that is confirmed fact? Nonetheless I thought it was interesting.

This is a memorial thread. I don't appreciate revisionist history added to a memorial of the destruction. :|