*55nm* EVGA GTX 260 Now In Stock at EVGA.com

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
No GTX 285 yet. :(

Still, will be very interested to see how well these OC. Also curious why those EVGA links don't show shader clocks, are they standard also?

AuDioFreaK39

Aug 7, 2006
twitter.com
Originally posted by: chizow

Still, will be very interested to see how well these OC. Also curious why those EVGA links don't show shader clocks, are they standard also?

Shader clocks are 1350MHz on both models. Also, expect these new 55nm cards to overclock to ~800MHz core speeds. :)

zod96

Platinum Member
May 28, 2007
Are the 55 nm gtx260's smaller in size than the 65 nm ones? I mean the actually PCB length I've heard that their only 9.5 inches as opposed to 10.5 of the 65 nm version

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: AuDioFreaK39
Originally posted by: chizow

Shader clocks are 1350MHz on both models. Also, expect these new 55nm cards to overclock to ~800MHz core speeds. :)

Hehe ya I'm looking forward to 800MHz core and hopefully 1800+ shaders. That's pretty sweet they're available for step-up, lucky for you guys. :)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Nice find. I hope this debacle with the FUD sites ends what little credibility they had.

:thumbsup:

JaBro999

Sep 14, 2006
Originally posted by: zod96
Are the 55 nm gtx260's smaller in size than the 65 nm ones? I mean the actually PCB length I've heard that their only 9.5 inches as opposed to 10.5 of the 65 nm version

It would definitely be nice if the 55nm gtx260 has a shorter PCB than the 65nm version. The 55nm gtx260 would edge out the 4870 in performance (not to mention it already has much lower power consumption at idle), but I don't really want to use a dremel on my case just to fit one of the longer nVidia cards.

Most sites believe that AMD's margins on the RV770's are way bigger than nVidias margins on the GTXs, so it's not hard to imagin nVidia and/or their partners wanting to fit the new 55nm chips onto a smaller PCB.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: JaBro999
Originally posted by: zod96

Most sites believe that AMD's margins on the RV770's are way bigger than nVidias margins on the GTXs, so it's not hard to imagin nVidia and/or their partners wanting to fit the new 55nm chips onto a smaller PCB.

I think the PCB is the same, only fewer layers. The 9800 GTX+ was redesigned to be shorter.

a123456

Oct 26, 2006
According to the evga site, they're both the same physical length, 9.5 inches. But when I measure mine, it's closer to 10.5, so they must be measuring something different. Anyway, the spec says they're the same so I assume there's no shrink unless there's other information later on.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
While I can get it, I really don't see any need to step up, what is the 55nm going to net in the real world? Looks to me like they're not being clocked any higher from EVGA. Yeah they're slightly cooler, but so what? The Core 216's run reasonably cool as-is and the cooler gets the job done with little noise.

So color me meh on these cards, I don't really know what everyone is so excited about. I'll wait for the the reviews, but I'm not expecting the earth to move.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
smaller manufacturing process generally means cooler cards that eat less power and overclock more. The only "problem" is that this is an optical shrink, from 65nm only to 55nm so the difference is small. The manufacturer gets the most benefit out of this because it's cheaper to produce(smaller die) and that usually means cheaper to buy

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: nosfe
smaller manufacturing process generally means cooler cards that eat less power and overclock more. The only "problem" is that this is an optical shrink, from 65nm only to 55nm so the difference is small. The manufacturer gets the most benefit out of this because it's cheaper to produce(smaller die) and that usually means cheaper to buy

Yeah, I get all that. But at current prices it would cost me around $40 for a card that is slower, even from the factory since I got one of the SSC cards. Sure I'll be able to clock it a bit higher, but what's that gonna net me? Not much I believe.

I'm just questioning why core 216 owners would even consider this unless the price difference was < $20, just doesn't seem worth it. You're not getting higher clocks from the factory, you're not getting a better cooler, you're not getting any new GPU features, etc, etc.

Now, I may consider jumping up to a 295 if the price is right, that makes a little more sense.

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
i think it's got more to do with the fact that nvidia finally went 55nm with the gt200 architecture which is what some of them have been waiting for since forever. it signals (hopefully) a new price war as nvidia should be able to lower the prices a bit more now that they went 55nm

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Originally posted by: nosfe
i think it's got more to do with the fact that nvidia finally went 55nm with the gt200 architecture which is what some of them have been waiting for since forever. it signals (hopefully) a new price war as nvidia should be able to lower the prices a bit more now that they went 55nm

Truth. Here's hoping we start seeing the 55nm GTX 260 216 priced around $175 or so.