538 says 90.9% chance Obama wins reelection

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
I think news organizations are just trying to drum up readers and viewers. They focus too heavily on the national polls when it is the state polls that matter. I think it is misleading to suggest this is a horse race, but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
You're a bit late to the party. 538 has been discussed extensively in other threads.

The number is based on a mathematical model that hasn't been changed recently. There's no ulterior motive.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Those calling dead heat are the National poll. We have the Electoral College, so popular vote matters very little (just ask Gore or Bush2).

The reason Obama is weighing so heavy in regards to winning is he is up in the swing states.
That and many conservatives like myself are not voting Obama but not Romney either, Gary Johnson.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
the election will be close 538 is just saying there is a high chance it will be close in Obama's favor.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
You're a bit late to the party. 538 has been discussed extensively in other threads.

The number is based on a mathematical model that hasn't been changed recently. There's no ulterior motive.

This is with the final updates to polling using their pretty damn accurate model.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Electionprojection.com is also projecting an Obama win and they're a pretty conservative site. Polling data on a state by state level favors Obama although it will be close.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Meanwhile, all the "liberal bias" networks like CNN, CBS, NBC, etc are reporting a dead heat while Fox News commentators predict landslide wins for Romney.

Fox figured out the formula: tell big enough lies that the media will split the difference between the truth and what you're saying so they can claim fairness.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Meanwhile, all the "liberal bias" networks like CNN, CBS, NBC, etc are reporting a dead heat while Fox News commentators predict landslide wins for Romney.

Fox figured out the formula: tell big enough lies that the media will split the difference between the truth and what you're saying so they can claim fairness.
You have no idea what liberal bias is, do you?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Yeah, but don't forget that because the election results are not yet actually known, that 100% can only be a round up from something between 99.5% to 99.99 or as many more 9s as you want to add. Let's not count Romney out yet. :)
Since the odds are so bad would you give me 10-1 odds in a bet?

Oct 16, 1999

Now if the general population would just figure out that formula.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
2008 was a blow out in electoral college and popular vote (Frontline episode on Financial Crisis said that election was over right after McLame suspended his campaign because of financial crisis and was fumbling his talking points on index cards at meeting), and I forgot, but didn't main stream media not call election till some time after 11 PM?

Episode 2 (start around 42:45 mark): http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-power-wall-street/#b

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I read on CNN an Irish betting place was already paying off bets for an Obama win.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Now if the general population would just figure out that formula.

Funny, I forced myself to watch FOX NEWS WATCH on Sunday and they pretty much have formulated the fallback message for the Romney fail. OH guess what? The fix for Obama was in with the MSM. I was shocked. D:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I'm so fucking sick of Nate Silver, I almost want Obama to lose just to spite him at this point.