538: Hillary and Bernie both have a 50/50 chance in Nevada

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Neither. People calling Hillary "Hildabeast" think it is appropriate given her behavior. On whom it reflects poorly depends solely on one's political bent and is thus immaterial.

I disagree.

I think it is behaviour that in a subtle way contributes to the current state of political discourse.
If you accept making fun of people elected to political office by using disrespectful names then it is, imo, easier to be impolite to them.

I think that mindset has contributed to gridlock.

You don't have to respect the person in office but try to respect the office....

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Results should be taken with a large grain of salt as the calculation there is based on one poll from a relatively unknown pollster. Could be real, could be not.

I agree. Hillary is guaranteed a win, between the Impenetrable Black firewall, positive media spin,Superdelegate advantage I do not see Sanders winning any states at all. She already won 2 states right off the bat.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I agree. Hillary is guaranteed a win, between the Impenetrable Black firewall, positive media spin,Superdelegate advantage I do not see Sanders winning any states at all. She already won 2 states right off the bat.

Sanders is facing an uphill battle but it's pretty unlikely he won't win any state. For example I doubt the current 4 superdelegates Hillary has in Vermont right now would be enough to steal a victory from his home state.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

More innuendo based superdelegate bullshit, even when you know it's bullshit.

If Bernie wins the greatest number of pledged delegates, I figure it'll be Bernie & rightfully so. I don't think he can do that & I don't think the Party will go against the membership. They never have in the 30+ years under the current system. The Party would have more clout in a 3 way race where no candidate has a clear plurality but this won't be it.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Sanders is facing an uphill battle but it's pretty unlikely he won't win any state. For example I doubt the current 4 superdelegates Hillary has in Vermont right now would be enough to steal a victory from his home state.

Bernie & Hillary will win their pledged delegates fair & square. The chances of the superdelegates not going with the winner of that when it counts is a helluva long shot bet & a favorite talking point of concern trolls.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
This has not been widely reported yet, but Clinton might have just won the nomination.

Hillary Clinton's emotional call on Democrats to take systemic racism seriously

She pledged to work towards eliminating racism and improving black lives. She did so without triangulation ("All lives matter") and without guilt-shaming whites. I even heard some gasps in the audience when she told them to hold her accountable.

Of course this was a campaign speech, and it remains to be seen what the details of her plan are and how the voters will hold her accountable. Nonetheless it was a moving speech that no one else in this primary season has given to black audience to date.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I disagree.

I think it is behaviour that in a subtle way contributes to the current state of political discourse.
If you accept making fun of people elected to political office by using disrespectful names then it is, imo, easier to be impolite to them.

It is perfectly fine to make fun of people for their actions, behavior and positions. That's very different than anything based on some characteristic they have no control or influence over (their gender, race, etc).

You don't have to respect the person in office but try to respect the office....

I can respect the office while still making fun of someone occupying the office.

It's also funny that comments like this come out now that people make fun of hildebeast, but were conspicuously absent when people were making fun of GWB, calling him a monkey etc etc.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
True, but black trumps female. Hillary is female, whereas Sanders is an old white man and EVERYTHING trumps old white man. Maybe if Sanders began dressing as a woman you'd be correct, but otherwise not.

Note: I am assuming that transgendered old white woman outranks old white woman on the victim scale. Now if Hillary then came out as a lesbian so that we had old white transwoman against old white lesbian, THAT would be a race worthy of taking on the Republican circus on equal terms. Otherwise it's Hill's to lose.

Except perhaps not if only because one is not by default a victim purely by virtue of being black, lesbian or trans.