52 Girls Removed from Texas Compound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: TallBill
Up to 219 now. That's a hell of a compound.

Sounds like the Mustang Ranch had nothing on these folks...That Jeffs REALLY knows how to party...

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: Nebor
This all reads eerily similar to the Branch Dividian story, but with a much happier ending. Looks like small religious enclaves practicing polygamy and pedophilia DON'T have to be sieged and burned to the ground, President Clinton. :roll:

They got what was coming to them.

Wow, guess the women/children there deserved to burn to death too? Nice.

Anyways, recently finished reading 'Under the Banner of Heaven'. Really sick bunch of people, and they go all the way back to Brigham Young and Joseph Smith. D&C from 'God' apparently told them polygamy was fine and dandy, until finally the gov't coerced them into publically dropping it. But old habits die hard, and there are still gobs of polygamists in Utah, Canada, Mexico, and apparently West Texas.

They deserve to be prosecuted, not burned to death (except maybe the ones in charge, fuck them).

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
This all reads eerily similar to the Branch Dividian story, but with a much happier ending. Looks like small religious enclaves practicing polygamy and pedophilia DON'T have to be sieged and burned to the ground, President Clinton. :roll:

Those assholes opened fire on federal agents, if these assholes would have done the same they would be crispy critters too.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Polygamy is not much different than men that run around cheating on all their girlfriends, expecting the US Govt to pay for their children. I dont think Polygamy is a good idea, neither do I endorse it. I cant imagine feeding a family of say 40 or 60.

Compared to the average broken family of today, what makes it so wrong?

I could see how polygomy could be practiced without child abuse. There are other states where with the parent's permission people can get married at 14. I think you use to be able to do this in Florida. Maybe I am wrong, but I have heard of it being done.

So what is the difference? It may be against the law, but in some states so is Adultry. Never stopped anyone though. Did you know some muslims are allowed to have 4 wives and women have little or no rights? This is probably being practiced in the USA now.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: ayabe

Those assholes opened fire on federal agents, if these assholes would have done the same they would be crispy critters too.

A lot of people would tell you that they shot back at federal agents, who fired first. Regardless, most agents killed at the Branch Dividian compound died from friendly fire.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Originally posted by: ayabe

A lot of people would tell you that they shot back at federal agents, who fired first. Regardless, most agents killed at the Branch Dividian compound died from friendly fire.

And Clinton pulled the triggers personally!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Great, so when do the Feds raid Islamberg New York?

Or are we specific as to which compounds we raid? Perhaps favoring some over others.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Originally posted by: kage69
Where do places like this get their money? Do the adults level the cult and work a great 6-figure jobs, or what?

Church funds mostly I believe. Then they create gigantic families and feed off state assistance programs.

Where do the the churches get their money, if everyone is stuck inside a compound?

NM: I read the next post ;).

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Just when I think you can't possibly say anything more stupid you go ahead and do it.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: Zorba
BTW: MSNBC just said the count is up to 401 women and girls.

Yea just saw this on CNN;

Texas takes legal custody of 401 sect children

CNN) -- Authorities said Monday they have taken legal custody of 401 children who lived on an isolated West Texas polygamist retreat built by imprisoned "prophet" Warren Jeffs.

Authorities load members of the FLDS onto buses as they search their Texas ranch for clues of abuse.

1 of 3 The children are being kept at a temporary shelter at historic Fort Concho in nearby San Angelo while authorities investigate whether a child bride gave birth on the ranch at age 15.

I am shocked to see the number of people that joined in to this offshoot sect.

GRIFFIN1

Golden Member
Nov 10, 1999
I'm feeling a little uneasy about this whole thing. All these women and children are taken into custody because a 16 year old supposedly made a phone call to report that she was being abused. They haven't managed to find this person that made the phone call but the still keep removing people from their homes.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
You know...

Outside of the abuse/age of consent issue, IHMO the equal protection argument would allow polygamy.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: GRIFFIN1
I'm feeling a little uneasy about this whole thing. All these women and children are taken into custody because a 16 year old supposedly made a phone call to report that she was being abused. They haven't managed to find this person that made the phone call but the still keep removing people from their homes.

All someone has to do is call social services anonymously and accuse you of child abuse and it doesn't matter if it is true or not they will investigate.

If you intefere in any way they have the power to take your kids away for evaluation purposes.

It's one of the few times the statement "if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" doesn't apply.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Because there looks to have been a multitude of state and federal laws broken.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
You know...

Outside of the abuse/age of consent issue, IHMO the equal protection argument would allow polygamy.

Well see thats the problem, these girls some as young as 14, dont have a choice. They are forced into it. Thats why the state is siezing all the under 18 females.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

apparently they've found evidence for abuse of 401 girls now.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

So if the following scenario took place, you'd have problems with it...

Worried citizen or ex member wants expose this group for what it is, places a fake phone call and cops move in to investigate?

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I heard more about this on the radio today, this is not just some religious commune, these men were not just committing polygamy and marrying underage girls these old perverts really have a full scale sex racket going on.

From what they said on the radio, questions were raised as to why there were no older teenage and young adult males at this place. Turns out all the young males when they come of age like 16-18 are cast out of the compound. It is done so they don?t take any of the females themselves and all old perverted guys get them all.

I don?t know what can be done about it but something sure as hell should.