512MB 7800GTX spec confirmation

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

moonboy403

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
1,828
0
76
how much of a performance gain r we looking at right here?
it's mind boggling...makes me wanna sell my gtx now while it's still worth something
 

jasonja

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
1,864
0
0
That card looks like EXACTLY like the 7800GTX that Dell ships in their XPS SLI machine.


BTW... Where's all the nVidia fanboys that bitched about dual slot coolers and ineffeciency of having to run at high clock speeds to get performance?
 

Snakexor

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
1,316
16
81
Originally posted by: Rollo
Originally posted by: Jagercola
I think a $475-$550 street price is reasonable, not $650...

The 256MB 7800GTX launched with a $600 MSRP, and the surely slower X1800XT (less fillrate, less bandwidth) has a launch MSRP of $559, so $659 MSRP at launch would sound fair to me.

I think the GF2 Ultra launched at $600, and it was only a 10% speed bump over the Pro?
:roll:


 

Pete

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
4,953
0
0
According to ppl at B3D, this is still 110nm, but a respin of the original G70.

As for ATI's shorter warranty encouraging you to buy other cards, well, wouldn't you pick a card with a longer warranty for the same price or even a few bucks more? As for warranty period indicating a quality product, well, Hyundai and Mitsu both increased their warranty in response to poor QA reports, so I wouldn't read too much into it beyond a marketing bullet. I agree that one year is way too short for a $300+ video card, though.
 

Murd0ck

Member
Jan 28, 2005
115
0
0
AWW, looks like nVidia will be the Grinch that stole ATI's Christmas. Green eggs and ham anyone?

I just hope EVGA joins the party before my step up period expires on
my KO. I can't afford to go spending 700+ on this thing. I have $250. and an open PCI slot with AGEIA's name on it..
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Originally posted by: jasonja
That card looks like EXACTLY like the 7800GTX that Dell ships in their XPS SLI machine.


BTW... Where's all the nVidia fanboys that bitched about dual slot coolers and ineffeciency of having to run at high clock speeds to get performance?

Are you looking for a fight or something? Why ask such a baitful question?

 

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
11,679
0
81
Where's all the nVidia fanboys that bitched about dual slot coolers and ineffeciency of having to run at high clock speeds to get performance?

Nvidia doesn't have to do this. They are doing this to beat ATI's card that already run that hot. As for the dual slot coolers, all i have had to say was good about them. Even back during the 5800 days.

-Kevin
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Originally posted by: fierydemise
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
But your commenting on what the price shouldn't be on a part none of us have even seen perform yet. If the 512 is 10% faster than the XT then sure, 100.00 might be a bit much.
BUT!!! If this thing flat blows the doors of the XT, then I don't see a problem with even more than a 100 dollars premium over it. As long as the price performance ratio lines up, I'm good with that.

I agree keys but I don't think you can look at price to performance ratio till at least a month after launch because the card needs some time to settle, I wouldn't consider the GTX to be worth it if it was at MSRP (600) but now that its down in the 500 range its just fine, same with the XT and 512MB GTX at first they will be way out of line but once they settle they should fit right in.

Sounds perfectly reasonable. The 7800GTX MSRP was 600 right? What did they debut at?
I don't remember if there was any gouging going on because they were widely available very quickly. In about a weeks time, all popular e-tailers had them in high quantity. Who is to say Nvidia won't do this again. I think they will want to keep up this very good record for as long as they possibly can. By good record, I mean the last couple of launches with quantity available the day of launch. Methinks they will try and do this again. And maybe will debut in e-tailers sites at MSRP. Here's hoping.

 

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
2,056
2
81
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Sounds perfectly reasonable. The 7800GTX MSRP was 600 right? What did they debut at?
I don't remember if there was any gouging going on because they were widely available very quickly. In about a weeks time, all popular e-tailers had them in high quantity. Who is to say Nvidia won't do this again. I think they will want to keep up this very good record for as long as they possibly can. By good record, I mean the last couple of launches with quantity available the day of launch. Methinks they will try and do this again. And maybe will debut in e-tailers sites at MSRP. Here's hoping.

According to AT's pricing engine the GTXs that were available on release day were all right around $600, but they did drop very quickly ($50 in a couple weeks), if the 512MB GTX behaves similarly (doubtful because demand isn't as high) even with an MSRP of $650 we'll see it down to $600 in a couple weeks and $575ish in a month (that is of course if nVidia has good availability and based on the 7 series so far I am hopeful). However my guess is that it'll drop a bit slower (to about $600 in a month) and we'll see if its worth it then. As for the XT I expect it to drop similarly to the XL which has dropped about $50 in 1 month, that kind of drop would put the XT at GTX 256MB by the end of the month (from MSRP not the inflated prices being requested by most etailers).
 

imported_Rampage

Senior member
Jun 6, 2005
935
0
0
Like I said about the noise levels of SLI'd 7800s versus a single XT.. they are within 1 decibal of each other..
if you are going to put up with noise, at least get something worth it, speed-wise.
If you are going to go dual slot, at least get something worth going dual slot.

I dont like going dual slot (XT) to just to maintain near-parity with a single slot solution (256MB GTX).
I do like dual slot (512MB GTX) when it annhilates both of those other cards though. :thumbsup:
 

allies

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
2,572
0
71
Originally posted by: CPlusPlusGeek
Im using eVGA trade up :D
guaranteed $500 for meh :p

Same for me... I don't really wanna spend over $100 on the upgrade though!
 

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
5,519
593
126
I wonder if any of the card manufacturers will release custom 256MB versions of these cards at a lower price point even though that's not an official Nvidia model. I'm personally not all that interested in the 512MB memory size, but want the higher core and memory speeds (and that great cooler :)).
 

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
1,134
0
0
Originally posted by: Frackal
650-700 dollars is an absurd price. I'd buy an X1800XT at 550 before I'd buy a GTX OP (for overpriced) at 700.00. Give me a break.
Thing is this card might not run FEAR at 1600x1200 or more. :( From that point of view, a 256MB GTX sounds reasonable bet to hold out for the next generation of cards.
 

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
5,501
0
0
Yeah, I will buy it for 600 or less, 650 at the edge for the OC'ed versions, but 700 isn't worthwhile unless it is within 10% of regular GTX SLI IMO.

I can't see too many people buying a 700$ GTX 512 over a 550 X1800XT
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Originally posted by: crazydingo
Originally posted by: Frackal
650-700 dollars is an absurd price. I'd buy an X1800XT at 550 before I'd buy a GTX OP (for overpriced) at 700.00. Give me a break.
Thing is this card might not run FEAR at 1600x1200 or more. :( From that point of view, a 256MB GTX sounds reasonable bet to hold out for the next generation of cards.

You can just as easily say, "Thing is, this card will rock in FEAR at 1600x1200 or more.". From that point of view, a 256MB GTX sounds reasonable to sell quickly to get the most you can for it and put that money towards the 512 GTX.

As you can see by looking in the FS/FT forum, people seem to have a lot of confidence that this card will be a monster. 7800's abound in there right now.

 

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
16,987
1
0
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
As you can see by looking in the FS/FT forum, people seem to have a lot of confidence that this card will be a monster. 7800's abound in there right now.

:thumbsup:

nVidia rarely disappoints.