512MB 7800GTX spec confirmation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
5,519
593
126
This is looking better all the time, but a lot will now depend on the price as far as I'm concerned. I'm definitely buying one if the price has falls to around $550 at the end of the year.

That's a Quadro card in the picture on MVtech....

One interesting thing I noticed is that the fan says GeForce on it instead of the Quadro or WinFast on existing cards. Not sure if that means anything though.
 

lifeguard1999

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2000
2,323
1
0
On closer inspection, you can tell that the card in the picture from mvktech.net is not a Quadro 4500. Compare it with the picture from Xbitlabs of the Quadro 4500. There is some missing circuitry on the picture from mvktech.net. That leads me to believe it is not a Quadro 4500 picture, but a 7800GTX 512MB picture.

Edit: Better pic from mvktech.net here.
 

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
1,499
0
0
The official launch date is still Nov 7th, right? So we should have concrete info in a few more days when all the reviews come out.
 

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
5,519
593
126
Originally posted by: lifeguard1999
On closer inspection, you can tell that the card in the picture from mvktech.net is not a Quadro 4500. Compare it with the picture from Xbitlabs of the Quadro 4500. There is some missing circuitry on the picture from mvktech.net. That leads me to believe it is not a Quadro 4500 picture, but a 7800GTX 512MB picture.

Edit: Better pic from mvktech.net here.

Yeah, the difference in what's printed on the fan is clear in that second mvk picture. It's great to see that the beefy Quadro cooler is the stock heatsink on this new card.
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Originally posted by: fierydemise
Originally posted by: Rollo
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
man

XFX have really gone up in my estimations.......like a graph of e^x

XFX- double lifetime warranty, lifetime for you and the guy you sell it to.

ATI- one year

To me, this shows a high level of confidence in the quality of your part on XFXs part.

Remember Rollo BBA cards have a 1 year warranty but cards built by their partners can have any warranty they want, ATI stated they lowered their warranty partially to encourage their partners to offer longer warranties.

How does ATI reducing their warranty to one year "encourage" partners to offer longer warranties? That means partners will have to eat the cost doesn't it? It really doesn't sound encouraging at all actually.

 

davidos

Senior member
Nov 29, 1999
908
0
0
Originally posted by: lifeguard1999
On closer inspection, you can tell that the card in the picture from mvktech.net is not a Quadro 4500. Compare it with the picture from Xbitlabs of the Quadro 4500. There is some missing circuitry on the picture from mvktech.net. That leads me to believe it is not a Quadro 4500 picture, but a 7800GTX 512MB picture.

Edit: Better pic from mvktech.net here.


They look the same to me....... :confused:
 

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
41,095
513
126
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: fierydemise
Originally posted by: Rollo
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
man

XFX have really gone up in my estimations.......like a graph of e^x

XFX- double lifetime warranty, lifetime for you and the guy you sell it to.

ATI- one year

To me, this shows a high level of confidence in the quality of your part on XFXs part.

Remember Rollo BBA cards have a 1 year warranty but cards built by their partners can have any warranty they want, ATI stated they lowered their warranty partially to encourage their partners to offer longer warranties.

How does ATI reducing their warranty to one year "encourage" partners to offer longer warranties? That means partners will have to eat the cost doesn't it? It really doesn't sound encouraging at all actually.

That was the PR spin ATI put on it which I call bunk on.
THey are offering a shorter period because they are lowering the quality of their product. This story about trying to give their partners an advantage over ATI is silly, but many people bought it hook, line, and sinker.
 

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
21,939
6
81
Originally posted by: davidos
Originally posted by: lifeguard1999
On closer inspection, you can tell that the card in the picture from mvktech.net is not a Quadro 4500. Compare it with the picture from Xbitlabs of the Quadro 4500. There is some missing circuitry on the picture from mvktech.net. That leads me to believe it is not a Quadro 4500 picture, but a 7800GTX 512MB picture.

Edit: Better pic from mvktech.net here.

They look the same to me....... :confused:

Look at the back of the card behind the last capacitor.
One has resistors(?) (the Quadro), the 7800GTX 512MB has 3 holes instead.
Definately not the same card. Same PCB probably, but definately not the same circuitry.
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Originally posted by: davidos
Originally posted by: lifeguard1999
On closer inspection, you can tell that the card in the picture from mvktech.net is not a Quadro 4500. Compare it with the picture from Xbitlabs of the Quadro 4500. There is some missing circuitry on the picture from mvktech.net. That leads me to believe it is not a Quadro 4500 picture, but a 7800GTX 512MB picture.

Edit: Better pic from mvktech.net here.






They look the same to me....... :confused:

Can somebody who has photoshop circle the differences for Davidos? That would be kewl.

Nevermind, got it.:

MVKtech.net pic Here

Xbit Labs pic Here
 

Matt2

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2001
4,762
0
0
watch out, this is the video card that's going to take over the world and enslave mankind!

On a more serious note, I may not keep this X800XL afterall
 

crazydingo

Golden Member
May 15, 2005
1,134
0
0
Current XFX OC from stock GTX is 14% (430->490), so calculating back from 580 (-14%) is 500Mhz. So 500MHz stock clock on the cores?
 

davidos

Senior member
Nov 29, 1999
908
0
0
Does anyone have a 'FIRM' date on this release? All these teases are getting annoying... 1 week, 2 weeks.... from when?
 
Mar 19, 2003
18,289
2
71
Originally posted by: archcommus
What intense games will be coming out before next summer? To even make this worth it.

"Intense games" are already out, if you play at high resolutions. I'm already starting to feel my 6800GT slow down at 1680x1050...I'd buy the new GTX in a heartbeat but I don't feel like spending the money right now (need a new CPU too, still on an Athlon XP).
 

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
8,115
0
71
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Originally posted by: archcommus
What intense games will be coming out before next summer? To even make this worth it.

"Intense games" are already out, if you play at high resolutions. I'm already starting to feel my 6800GT slow down at 1680x1050...I'd buy the new GTX in a heartbeat but I don't feel like spending the money right now (need a new CPU too, still on an Athlon XP).
Well we don't run at the same res. ;) I mean something beyond FEAR graphically, before summer.
 
Mar 19, 2003
18,289
2
71
Originally posted by: archcommus
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Originally posted by: archcommus
What intense games will be coming out before next summer? To even make this worth it.

"Intense games" are already out, if you play at high resolutions. I'm already starting to feel my 6800GT slow down at 1680x1050...I'd buy the new GTX in a heartbeat but I don't feel like spending the money right now (need a new CPU too, still on an Athlon XP).
Well we don't run at the same res. ;) I mean something beyond FEAR graphically, before summer.

If you only run at 1280x1024 (or below), then yeah, the new GTX (or even the old one, or the R520) will be pretty much overkill for you. I don't see much new coming out until next summer either (UT2007), which is probably why I'm waiting until then to upgrade even though I'm not completely happy with the performance of my current video card anymore.
 

obeseotron

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
1,910
0
0
I would normally think this card would either be cherry picked g70s or a respun g70 still on 110nm, except that the 550 number is the same as Sony quotes for the PS3 and that's a 90nm part. I suppose there is some chance it's a 90nm part, after all ATI got 90nm silicon back from TSMC in early summer, they just respun it twice to get faster speeds. I'm still waiting for something after this generation before I ditch my AGP 6800GT, but it would be very hard to choose at this point. If these clocks are right, gaming performance won't be very close, but the AVIVO transcoder is a very big deal for me as I encode a lot of video.
 
Mar 19, 2003
18,289
2
71
Originally posted by: obeseotron
I would normally think this card would either be cherry picked g70s or a respun g70 still on 110nm, except that the 550 number is the same as Sony quotes for the PS3 and that's a 90nm part. I suppose there is some chance it's a 90nm part, after all ATI got 90nm silicon back from TSMC in early summer, they just respun it twice to get faster speeds. I'm still waiting for something after this generation before I ditch my AGP 6800GT, but it would be very hard to choose at this point. If these clocks are right, gaming performance won't be very close, but the AVIVO transcoder is a very big deal for me as I encode a lot of video.

Same here, I'm really looking forward to the Avivo transcoding acceleration or something similar from Nvidia (since I do a lot of HDTV watching and recording)...one of the other reasons I'm waiting to upgrade. Probably going to be looking at an R580 or whatever Nvidia's latest is next summer..
 

lifeguard1999

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2000
2,323
1
0
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: davidos
Originally posted by: lifeguard1999
On closer inspection, you can tell that the card in the picture from mvktech.net is not a Quadro 4500. Compare it with the picture from Xbitlabs of the Quadro 4500. There is some missing circuitry on the picture from mvktech.net. That leads me to believe it is not a Quadro 4500 picture, but a 7800GTX 512MB picture.

Edit: Better pic from mvktech.net here.

They look the same to me....... :confused:

Can somebody who has photoshop circle the differences for Davidos? That would be kewl.

Nevermind, got it.:

MVKtech.net pic Here

Xbit Labs pic Here

Good job. I was particularly paying attention to the resistors & power for the fan in my analysis.
 

CPlusPlusGeek

Banned
Oct 7, 2005
241
0
0
Originally posted by: crazydingo
Current XFX OC from stock GTX is 14% (430->490), so calculating back from 580 (-14%) is 500Mhz. So 500MHz stock clock on the cores?

Honestly... where does your logic come from? What says that it has to be a 14% OC?
 

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
16,987
1
0
Originally posted by: archcommus
What intense games will be coming out before next summer? To even make this worth it.

Any game that you can play @ 1920x1200 :p